Flex fuel tune

1MEAN18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT
I looked back and I definitely selected the right tune, for the heck of it, I decided to shoot pics as I stepped through the process, I've got a photo of both the tune selection screen (with it highlighted) and the final screen after you step through all the options, and it shows the Flex tune again by name. So maybe it's the latter issue (hopefully he replies before the weekend).

Yeah, that's the Gate station, it's labeled as E85, but also says Flex and shows that same range on the pump handle).

IMG_4407_1200.jpeg
Welcome to the corn club! Enjoy that new powah!
Sponsored

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Need some input, hopefully my tuner will hit me back before the weekend.

Updated my existing 93 tune to my FlexTune. Drove the car over to the Gate where the E85 is located, hit 0 MILES about 1-1/2 miles away from the station, so it was pretty darn empty.

Topped off the the E85, it's a Flex blend, so it's indicated on the pump as 55-83.

Car fires right up, I drive around 10-12 minutes, no WOT, keeping the RPM between 1K-3K, light to moderate throttle, never see my AFR (using the text/numeric readout on the dash), get much below 14.0, bounces down to a few 13.8/.9, I stop for another errand, take a decently long drive up US1, same story, no movement, had to have been driving a good 35 or so minutes, guess something is not correct. No other mods on the car, and this is a followup tune to my previous 93, that was logged a few times.

I'm 99.9% sure I flashed the proper tune :D Working with Shaun at AED!
Why are you asking this if you are working with your tuner? He is the expert. Don't you trust him? Are you getting attitude from him? Just curious.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Why are you asking this if you are working with your tuner? He is the expert. Don't you trust him? Are you getting attitude from him? Just curious.
Figured it might be something simple, quickly and easily answered by some of the folks ITK here - plus, sometimes you get some nice, additional explanations about things - just kind of a way to open up some dialog.

In the end, I would always defer to the expertise of my tuner :)

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
I'm currently sitting at 10.9-11.0 :D

Same tune, just did another 10 drive, immediately reset KAM, watched it go down, down, down ...

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
I'm currently sitting at 10.9-11.0 :D

Same tune, just did another 10 drive, immediately reset KAM, watched it go down, down, down ...
Awesome. Sounds bout right :thumbsup:

Sponsored

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE
Is Lund the only company that offers flex fuel tunes for 2018+ mustangs? I checked PBD and VMP but didn’t see an option for flex fuel, they just had e85 tunes.
AED for you sir.

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE
F***. I guess I am screwed now then when I have to renew.
You have to find the dude who will send you to the dude who makes magic happen. I know of such dudes but not in MD.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Awesome. Sounds bout right :thumbsup:
After a few more miles, it seems to be mostly hanging out around 10.6-10.9 :sunglasses:

Holy shit, it's insane, I thought the stock Gen 3 + A10 was a major improvement, this is nuts, especially with the 3.55 gears. :rockon: It's like the jump from a [stock] Gen 2 to [stock] Gen 3 car

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
After a few more miles, it seems to be mostly hanging out around 10.6-10.9 :sunglasses:

Holy shit, it's insane, I thought the stock Gen 3 + A10 was a major improvement, this is nuts, especially with the 3.55 gears. :rockon: It's like the jump from a [stock] Gen 2 to [stock] Gen 3 car
Totally agree! And I'm on the fake e here so can imagine it's even more drastic on the real stuff lol.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
OK, bumping this with an update, saw another member having a related issue here: https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/car-will-not-stay-running.131371/

I'm having some of the same issues. FlexTune, '19 GT A10, PP car. Drop in filter, no sound tube, no other performance mods other than the tune

Short version - keep in mind this has been over roughly 2 months:

October

- Send logs to tuner
- Tuner sends 93 tune
- Seems to run great, send more logs
- Have one gas issue with timing, switch to better gas, sorts out problem
- Tuner confirms things are as expected, sends FlexTune

November

- Car runs strong on E85 Flex, 11.1-11.4 AFRs, but constantly throwing a CEL, specifically a P2097, P2099 (rich condition Bank 1 and 2)
- Car occasionally craps out when cold, like from a stop, throttle, stop again, idles down to a stall
- Have done many Crank Relearns (using an X4, with current firmware)

Then after the car sat for a week, it was doing the exact same thing as the OP in the link above states: chokes down and stops. I manage to kind of finesse the throttle to keep it running, after it was going, it ran fine, drove it 20 minutes, stopped, fired up as expected. Did it again a day later, same thing, kind of gave it throttle by tapping it till it cleared up and stayed running. Then after I drove it, did another crank relearn and now there's no starting issues, however, it's back to the CEL codes and stalling as described while till it's warmed up good and has been running for like 15 minutes.

December

My current situation:

- Car starts fine
- If from a stop, you surge forward, then stop completely, car will idle down to not running, starts right back up
- The above behavior does not seem to be present once it's been running for 15+ minutes

I'm sitting at about 1/2 a tank of Gate E85/Flex (indicated on the pump as 55-83 ethanol). Now my tuner is saying to take it to the dealer, maybe an O2 issue, the car was running perfectly when I bought it at 4K miles, bone stock, mint, it seemed to run fine on the 93 tune, it started the bogging issue after about 7 days of running E.

I think at this point I may:

- Run out the current ethanol in the tank to as empty as I can
- Fill it with 93 octane
- Drive it for a bit, on the FlexTune, then flash back to stock, confirm clean operation, maybe try the 93 tune again

Of course, I didn't get a final response from my last email yesterday, and it's the new years break, so I'm two days without any tuner feedback.

Sponsored

re-rx7

Ruck the night away
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
19 5.0
This is why i havent pulled the trigger on a tune yet. i want the power increase but not willing to give up reliability, i find it odd they say take it to the dealer cause the dealer isnt going to do shit.

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
This just reiterates what many folks and my tuner have said about the flex tune. It's a convenience thing meant for switching fuels. It's not really designed to be used as an everyday tune.

@MaskedRacerX - it's very possible the flex tune is your problem. I'd do what you suggested. Run it out of ethanol, put 93 back in and load the 93 tune again. More than likely your issues will go away.
If you want to run E85 I suggested a dedicated E85 tune. It will run much more consistently and give you better performance.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
This is why i havent pulled the trigger on a tune yet. i want the power increase but not willing to give up reliability, i find it odd they say take it to the dealer cause the dealer isnt going to do shit.
Or you can run a tune that gives both power increase and stock driveability/reliability :)

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
This just reiterates what many folks and my tuner have said about the flex tune. It's a convenience thing meant for switching fuels. It's not really designed to be used as an everyday tune.

@MaskedRacerX - it's very possible the flex tune is your problem. I'd do what you suggested. Run it out of ethanol, put 93 back in and load the 93 tune again. More than likely your issues will go away.
If you want to run E85 I suggested a dedicated E85 tune. It will run much more consistently and give you better performance.
Yeah, that seemed to be a good way to reverse diagnose it, it's what I'd do with a bug in software :D

I'll update as I make some progress!