re-rx7

Ruck the night away
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
19 5.0
As a bit of a side note here ... I recently did a before/after test w/a Borla exhaust system (140745) on my 2019 GT. While the system comes w/the X-pipe, I did not care for the upper RPM sound so I installed the Borla resonator (60661) before taking the 2nd reading. With the OE system, the best reading was 426 HP. With the Borla + resonator, the best reading was 443 hp. The published figures are all over the place regarding the exact HP loss w/the resonator v. the X-pipe, but it's safe to say that I did sacrifice some HP by opting out of the X-pipe. In hindsight, I learned two (2) things: 1) the 2019 OE system is pretty darn good w/the major 'drawback' (in terms of HP) being the pre-muffler, not the rear mufflers & 2) if I knew then what I know now, I would have merely replaced the OE pre-muffler w/the Borla resonator (60661). :facepalm:
Good post. I've been wondering this exact thing. Oe mufflers are gd its the OE suitcase resonator that is restrictive.
Sponsored

Ron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Good post. I've been wondering this exact thing. OE mufflers are good, it's the OE suitcase resonator that is restrictive.
Just an FYI, the OE unit is a pre-muffler, not a resonator. There is a difference. It's also where the bulk of the 'weight savings' is ... approximately 10 lbs. I guess it all comes down to whether or not 10 lbs & 20 hp is worth $1,500. On a true race car ... w/out a doubt ... YES!!! On a track driven street car ... the smaller the improvement(s), the better the driver has to be to actually quantify them.

re-rx7

Ruck the night away
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
19 5.0
Just an FYI, the OE unit is a pre-muffler, not a resonator. There is a difference. It's also where the bulk of the 'weight savings' is ... approximately 10 lbs. I guess it all comes down to whether or not 10 lbs & 20 hp is worth $1,500. On a true race car ... w/out a doubt ... YES!!! On a track driven street car ... the smaller the improvement(s), the better the driver has to be to actually quantify them.
Did not know this, thanks for info. The "resonator" delete makes it really easy to get those hp's without the cost. The factory mfflers as you said, flow really well.

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
20hp from a borla touring catback, cmon?

Sponsored

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
where, please show me. couple horsepower max if any is all I've ever read

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
Good article and pretty impressive! are these gains only in 18-19? I have a S-type with borla res so a touring system and I wonder how much horsepower I gained. It felt better when I installed but I just thought that was the sound playing tricks on me. Isn't the borla resontor just an enclosed h-pipe?

re-rx7

Ruck the night away
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
19 5.0
Good article and pretty impressive! are these gains only in 18-19? I have a S-type with borla res so a touring system and I wonder how much horsepower I gained. It felt better when I installed but I just thought that was the sound playing tricks on me. Isn't the borla resontor just an enclosed h-pipe?
15-17 was minimal, the 18-19 is seeing gains simply from the res delete.

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1, 70 Shaker Mach 1 stroker, 1967 F/B 357W, 1968 302 Vert, 4I 85 5.0 B&M Blower
Share what the definition of a resonator is v pre muffler?

Sponsored

cib24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Mazda RX-7 Type RS
As a bit of a side note here ... I recently did a before/after test w/a Borla exhaust system (140745) on my 2019 GT. While the system comes w/the X-pipe, I did not care for the upper RPM sound so I installed the Borla resonator (60661) before taking the 2nd reading. With the OE system, the best reading was 426 HP. With the Borla + resonator, the best reading was 443 hp. The published figures are all over the place regarding the exact HP loss w/the resonator v. the X-pipe, but it's safe to say that I did sacrifice some HP by opting out of the X-pipe. In hindsight, I learned two (2) things: 1) the 2019 OE system is pretty darn good w/the major 'drawback' (in terms of HP) being the pre-muffler, not the rear mufflers & 2) if I knew then what I know now, I would have merely replaced the OE pre-muffler w/the Borla resonator (60661). :facepalm:
I am quite interested in hearing a sound clip of the Borla resonator (60661) with the stock active exhaust cat-back system. I found a video on Youtube by American Muscle with the resonator but they also had the Borla Atak cat-back system installed, so it sounded extremely different.

Does anyone have a link of an otherwise stock car with just the Borla resonator and stock active exhaust system?

jpogi

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JP
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Black Accent pkg
Share what the definition of a resonator is v pre muffler?
A premuffler is just like a muffler, it can have chambers or perforated tubes inside w/ glass packing around it. It muffles or reduces sounds db. It mostly sound dull when tapped with a wrench.

A true resonator is mostly hollow in the inside or have some metal deflectors. It is tuned to deflect sounds to change or cancel out certain frequencies. Used mostly in high end cars where manufacturers are picky on how their supercars are going to sound like. It can sound like a bell or have a "ting" sound if tapped by a wrench.

Seeyalater21

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alec
Vehicle(s)
2021 mustang gt
I think the 1/4 mile trap mph a stock gen 3 is capable of should tell you something
Yeah for real. Even in the 1/8th mile they are fast as I've hit 87-88mph doing a 8.7 and then best recorded 1/4 so far is 13.5 @ 108mph and got a 0-100mph in 11.6 and 1000feet in 11.4 @ 99mph. My best 0-100mph is a shell shocking 10.7 😲 these mustangs are just different
Sponsored