Whipple Gen 5 6-Rib vs 10-Rib

jbanh100

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jackie
Vehicle(s)
2021 Tesla Model 3 Performance
Can someone tell me the difference between these two? (power delivery, sound, etc)

Also need help explaining the balancers!

I need to take advantage of BF savings and my plan is to start out around 650 rwhp 93, but I do plan to upgrade to using E85 down the line when funds are adequate for me.

Is there any reason to buy the 10rib right now as opposed to waiting until later to upgrade it?
At what point would I need to upgrade to the 10-rib, if ever.

Cheers, I'm not the most savvy person when it comes to these things :(
Sponsored

Rothgray

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Can someone tell me the difference between these two? (power delivery, sound, etc)

Also need help explaining the balancers!

I need to take advantage of BF savings and my plan is to start out around 650 rwhp 93, but I do plan to upgrade to using E85 down the line when funds are adequate for me.

Is there any reason to buy the 10rib right now as opposed to waiting until later to upgrade it?
At what point would I need to upgrade to the 10-rib, if ever.

Cheers, I'm not the most savvy person when it comes to these things :(
10 rib will aid in belt wrap, and reduce slip, but there are people making high 800s/low 900s on the 6 rib setup.

In lieu of going to a larger rib setup, a lot of folks, myself included, when going with smaller pullies is to use a griptec style pulley, which makes it grippier. Basically, if your pulley slips, you lose boost.

Last edited:

VTR16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT 400A PP MT82
If you opt for the 10-rib kit when you order the entire Whipple setup it’s less expensive than buying it later on down the road. You get a better price on the ATI balancer also. Priced individually (depending on the vendor you use) the ATI 10-rib 20% is $550. When getting the ATI with the 10-rib kit it’s $400.
The absolute best price is during a sale with the 15% off and opting for the 10-rib with the order of the full Whipple kit and not later on down the road.

Bluelightning

Bluelightning
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lightning Blue 2017 GT350, 2019 F-150 4x4 Ecoboost (Daily)
Vehicle Showcase
Keep the stock balancer. Less chance for issues. You can easily exceed your power goals with the stock 6-rib.

Stephen@lethal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Gt500
Like others have stated, the 6 rib setup is more than enough for what your goal is. If anything a Griptec pulley is a great alternative that has been proven to help keep slip away. I would personally jump on a E85 tune if you are going to be buying anything as you will see a large benefit off the switch to E85 alone. Let me know if you have any questions or would like to see what I can do for you.

Sponsored

Wolvee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
Like others have stated, the 6 rib setup is more than enough for what your goal is. If anything a Griptec pulley is a great alternative that has been proven to help keep slip away. I would personally jump on a E85 tune if you are going to be buying anything as you will see a large benefit off the switch to E85 alone. Let me know if you have any questions or would like to see what I can do for you.
When selecting the Whipple Stage 2, there's the option to add the 10 Rib at a discount. It gives the additional option to get the 20% overdrive balancer, does it need a custom tune with the OD balancer??

Stephen@lethal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Gt500
When selecting the Whipple Stage 2, there's the option to add the 10 Rib at a discount. It gives the additional option to get the 20% overdrive balancer, does it need a custom tune with the OD balancer??
No sir, the supplied Whipple tune will be enough with that setup.

Wolvee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
Interesting. Any idea the boost increase with the standard stg2 pulley and how low you could pulley down with the Whipple tune? I was looking to get E85 & a fuel system from the start but I think I'd rather start with the 10rib and save the $300 over buying it later at full price.

The black Friday 15% off sale would also include the Whipple 10 rib add on option right? It's not 15% off the Whipple kit and then full price for the option?

No sir, the supplied Whipple tune will be enough with that setup.

VTR16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT 400A PP MT82
Interesting. Any idea the boost increase with the standard stg2 pulley and how low you could pulley down with the Whipple tune? I was looking to get E85 & a fuel system from the start but I think I'd rather start with the 10rib and save the $300 over buying it later at full price.

The black Friday 15% off sale would also include the Whipple 10 rib add on option right? It's not 15% off the Whipple kit and then full price for the option?
When I ordered my kit during a 15% off sale the add-ons/upgrades like the oversized HE and 10-rib kit were also discounted.
Sponsored