Sponsored

BMR Suspension's New S550 Rear Upper SHOCK MOUNTS: SM760 - Design Finalized!

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatbillybob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT pp1 A10 Orange
I’ve welded them on the car now can’t get you the measurements I believe it’s 1/8”-1/4” thick plates.

I’m so sick of some people in this forum.... sorry not sorry! I’m not bashing... I’m simply saying hey after 2-3 Months of running these I found this failure! Please check yours and I’m curious to see if more pop up as several people stated could happen. I’m betting we find a few more. Bmr has sold 800 or so of these... So yes 2 out of that isn’t high failure but as several people posted they haven’t installed or just started installing these...

I’m sorry that I’m frustrated that a newer product damaged my car. Talking with bmr and them even stating we might need to revise and change the location. Also talked about ride techs design, made me fell like they released a product with out a ton of testing etc. THIS IS MY OWN OPINION! After several emails and phone calls with bmr! I understand that modifying my car is my own risk but with revision to the plate it feels like they missed the ball and are putting cars at risk.. again MY OWN OPINION!
Well I for one thank you for posting and alerting us. It is an important PSA. A rear coil over will put much more load into the mount area than divorced spring. I'll be going Double adjustable coilovers and big spring rates for racing so even more load. I bet I end up drilling out the ford nuts, welding 12.9 nuts to a plate, and welding the plate to the car.
Sponsored

S550Whipple15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT

BJ I missed your comments? Why did you cut those off etc?

aleccolin

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.CarClubVT.com
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Cool, thanks for that, I didn't think it looked like a machine screw thread.

I'm curious how BMR is going to handle releasing the revised mounts; I don't have or intend to run 20s, but I will be on 305s as soon as these tires are done, with extra rear camber adjustment rubbing is still a concern.

H1shawn1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT TY
Reading through this I'd really love to see a response from @BMR Tech, I'm running them now and had some issues due to 20×11.5 wheels and a performance orientated alignment. Switched back to a street alignment which seems to have fixed it, but it's a bummer knowing that I either need to swap wheels or strut mount to run a more track orientated alignment.

Should I be looking locally for a guy to weld these mounts in, or is my best bet just to go back to OEM ASAP.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Should I be looking locally for a guy to weld these mounts in
The sheet metal is pretty damn thin. Let us know if your welder thinks he can pull it off.
RideTech has a "proper" bracket but they won't sell it by itself when I asked, and it's likely dimensioned wrong to work with any other kit.

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Reading through this I'd really love to see a response from @BMR Tech, I'm running them now and had some issues due to 20×11.5 wheels and a performance orientated alignment. Switched back to a street alignment which seems to have fixed it, but it's a bummer knowing that I either need to swap wheels or strut mount to run a more track orientated alignment.

Should I be looking locally for a guy to weld these mounts in, or is my best bet just to go back to OEM ASAP.
I would call BMR about getting a revision of the mount brackets. They gave you the bump washers, but not the brackets, I believe.

S550Whipple15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
The sheet metal is pretty damn thin. Let us know if your welder thinks he can pull it off.
RideTech has a "proper" bracket but they won't sell it by itself when I asked, and it's likely dimensioned wrong to work with any other kit.

weld seems to be holding up we put 4 tack welds around the top and side. I’ll keep you updated...

aleccolin

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.CarClubVT.com
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Mocked up a few modifications tonight.

v0Qo58xl.jpg

1. Longer bolt so the grip extends all the way through. May or may not trim the length. Using the aluminum spacers as a fat washer.

GvWgLh8l.jpg

2. Cut up some 10x12x20 oilite sleeve bushings and pressed in to the mounts to take up all of the through bolt play. No slop now.

33W0ffhl.jpg

sM1by44l.jpg

3. Rod end seals are pretty skookum.
4. Made some new spacers from a stick of Delrin I had laying around, 0.200" thickness worked out perfect

GvWgLh8l.jpg

5. Opened up the assembly stud holes in the mounts with a 5/16" carbide burr, cut off the studs and ground flush, marked and drilled for rivet nut inserts.

My rivet nut tool only goes up to M8 so that determined the size. Also I didn't order any flush mount rivet nuts from McMaster like I should have, so I wound up having to countersink the backside of the holes in the mounts a lot more than I wanted to in order for it to sit flush. Still worked out.

jq3sRqEl.jpg

Need to pick up some Rustoleum and touch everything up before assembly. The added mounting points isn't going to add a ton of strength, but it makes me feel a bit better. I'll still unbolt inspect occasionally. Also chamfered the edges on the bump washers - was going to turn them down in diameter, but I'll do that later if I need wheel clearance.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
isn't there a M10 shoulder bolt that would work?

S550Whipple15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Mocked up a few modifications tonight.

v0Qo58xl.jpg

1. Longer bolt so the grip extends all the way through. May or may not trim the length. Using the aluminum spacers as a fat washer.

GvWgLh8l.jpg

2. Cut up some 10x12x20 oilite sleeve bushings and pressed in to the mounts to take up all of the through bolt play. No slop now.

33W0ffhl.jpg

sM1by44l.jpg

3. Rod end seals are pretty skookum.
4. Made some new spacers from a stick of Delrin I had laying around, 0.200" thickness worked out perfect

GvWgLh8l.jpg

5. Opened up the assembly stud holes in the mounts with a 5/16" carbide burr, cut off the studs and ground flush, marked and drilled for rivet nut inserts.

My rivet nut tool only goes up to M8 so that determined the size. Also I didn't order any flush mount rivet nuts from McMaster like I should have, so I wound up having to countersink the backside of the holes in the mounts a lot more than I wanted to in order for it to sit flush. Still worked out.

jq3sRqEl.jpg

Need to pick up some Rustoleum and touch everything up before assembly. The added mounting points isn't going to add a ton of strength, but it makes me feel a bit better. I'll still unbolt inspect occasionally. Also chamfered the edges on the bump washers - was going to turn them down in diameter, but I'll do that later if I need wheel clearance.

Amazing! Looks really good man! I would request the revision plate it gives you about 1/2” or more clearance. Original one is really close to my 17x10.5 rim/tire.

Sponsored

aleccolin

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.CarClubVT.com
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Amazing! Looks really good man! I would request the revision plate it gives you about 1/2” or more clearance. Original one is really close to my 17x10.5 rim/tire.
Thanks, wait are you talking about the smaller diameter washer, or the whole revised mounting plate?

Status
Not open for further replies.