Sponsored

"Mustang Mach E" Confirmed, Reservations Begin Immediately After Nov 17 Live-Streamed Reveal

How will Ford naming it's new electric SUV "Mustang Mach E" impact your future purchase decisions.

• Much more likely to purchase a traditional Mustang coupe.

Votes: 49 12.5%
  • Slightly more likely to purchase a traditional Mustang coupe.

Votes: 6 1.5%
  • No change

Votes: 219 55.9%
  • Slightly less likely to purchase a traditional Mustang coupe.

Votes: 55 14.0%
  • Much less likely to purchase a traditional Mustang coupe.

Votes: 63 16.1%

• Total voters

Linkster1666

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Link
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium Orange Fury PP1 A10 401A 3:55
Vehicle Showcase
Not sure the Big 3 aren't being pushed into electric. That being said, I think you have a few years of ICEs then all cars will be electric.

Now then, WHAR ELECTRICITY COME FROM? WHAR!?!?!
Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
The way I look at this is that Ford thinks the Mustang brand is strong enough to potentially cast a halo over products that are similar in intent, though not similar in form.
Then they're going about it the wrong way.

As much as enthusiasts may not have cared for Chevrolet hanging the 'SS' tag on just about everything, that was a better approach. Identity the form first with the model name and let the add-on tag indicate that the intent is other than base trim.

I'd want to know on first glance that a Mustang - or a Camaro or a Challenger for that matter - was a sports coupe and what to generally expect from that. Without having to look for so much as one more letter.

Norm

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
Not sure the Big 3 aren't being pushed into electric. That being said, I think you have a few years of ICEs then all cars will be electric.

In the UK a lot of that electricity is from renewables such as wind and solar now rather than fossil fuels. We will be producing 30% from these sources with around 20% from nuclear and most of the rest from gas next year. Coal sourced electricity has now virtually stopped. Even in the US 36% is from renewables and nuclear now with coal rapidly declining.

As you say though production will need to virtually double in the next 10 years if it is to keep up with EV demand.

I've always been an ICE fan but the reality is that 99% of people just want a device to go from A-B reliably and often neither know nor care what is propelling them.

GasPedal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium | Race Red
If it’s going to have Mustang taillights then give it the name too. If it was named something else then the sexy Mustang rear would definitely be diluted and not so special. It’s not making an American icon any less cool but it sure is going to help them attract buyers who wanted a Mustang but for a variety of reasons it wasn’t practical - and as a shareholder I love it!

I think you’ll all get over it. When I’m in the position to have 2 cars I’d like the second one to be quiet and electric and I’m more than happy for it to be another Mustang.

Sponsored

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
I own my first Chevy right now, but I have always been a Ford guy. I've owned so many Mustangs that it's difficult for me to even count them. Announcements like this make me feel foolish to have so much "loyalty" to a car company. I mean, what am I thinking? They are just trying to make money and as long as their math says they will make money they are going to go forward. Love of past vehicles, honoring the company's history - those are emotional things that aren't part of the equation.

They plan to go to electrics and get rid of the V8. Why am I giving my money to a company so opposed to the things I want in a car?
The bold part.... why are you so sure of this?

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible

As I may have mentioned a few times on this forum, my current job is forecasting engine production and application for the world’s leading automotive forecasting and analysis company. Today battery electric vehicles are less than 2% of the vehicles sold in the US. By 2026 it will still be less than 10%. If there comes a time that electrics completely replace ICE, none of us will be here posting about it.

The Domestic 3 automakers will need to produce a respectable number of EVs to meet fuel economy regulations in the US. Those regulations, btw are MUCH more lax than other parts of the world that have even larger auto markets (China, EU) and even those markets will be just over 10% in the 2025 - 26 timeframe. The conversation is EV and ICE, not EV or ICE.

seth21w

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Seth
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT base PP ingot silver
Just be glad you have a v8 mustang one before the electric generation! I never plan on selling my 16gtpp and dont plan to ever buy another new vehicle.

lew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
lew
Vehicle(s)
19 GT, 23 STX 4wd. TT, 19 BMW X4 M40i, 15 800r
I'm with you guys. Ford should have named it something else. This is a completely different car and should have kept in an altogether separate model line. I think adding GT to the premium line adds to the insult. I am not sold on the electric vehicle concept for cruising cars. If there has to be a market for electric/autonomous vehicles let them earn their own legacy without borrowing from the legends.

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
There are a couple people that I was talking to that have kids going to college, tired of the boring SUV, want something with some more excitement, but still want the versatility of the SUV. When I mentioned the that the Mustang Mach-E was being introduced on the 17th, their eyes lighted up and wanted to know more. There are probably a lot of people that want a performance SUV but don't want to get a Jag, Porsche, Audi, Alfa, or BMW. The Mustang name is instantly recognizable and marketable for the age group they will be trying to reach.
These are the new buyers Ford is trying to attract knowing that most of the rest of us will come around.

Sponsored

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
There are a couple people that I was talking to that have kids going to college, tired of the boring SUV, want something with some more excitement, but still want the versatility of the SUV. When I mentioned the that the Mustang Mach-E was being introduced on the 17th, their eyes lighted up and wanted to know more. There are probably a lot of people that want a performance SUV but don't want to get a Jag, Porsche, Audi, Alfa, or BMW. The Mustang name is instantly recognizable and marketable for the age group they will be trying to reach.
Meanwhile performance numbers are still playing catch-up to the 90's Typhoon. The whole idea of "performance SUV" still sound like a total joke to me. Unless you're talking Porsche or Lambo the ST line is barely hanging with an entry level Ecoboost Mustang.

roygriffin2020

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Red reincarnated
I posted a week or so ago and said it was coming. Everyone poopoo'ed it. I hate to say I told you sold. I would never buy one.

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
To anyone buying a gt500 does this piss you off? A Ford SUV will now be faster in a straight line. Not trying to be a dick, genuinely curious. I would be a little ticked if I just pony'd up 100k and a 60k SUV blows my doors off from the same mfg

Dudie7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Failing to innovate = Natural Selection. I think this move by Ford is a stroke of genius. Use arguably the most iconic name plate in automotive history to essentially launch their EV portfolio. I, for one, welcome the decision and look forward to seeing what product comes of it.
Sponsored