Sponsored

Step by Step Guide to Enabling Blind Spot Information System (BLIS) and Cross Traffic Alert (CTA)

LarsenGrind

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lars
Vehicle(s)
2017 Euro-Spec GT
I would love to do this on my '17 GT export model. Have anyone done it on an export?
Sponsored

Falk03

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Falk
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Convertible
I would love to do this on my '17 GT export model. Have anyone done it on an export?
I am not aware of anyone, but it shouldn't make a difference. The parts fit and in the areas where you need to make changes to the wiring are no market-specific differences.

NithinRM

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nithin
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost
Is it possible to skip both the LED and the BLIS mirrors and just go with voice alert? I am basically trying to do a simpler installation skipping all the door panel work. If the LED is needed, can I connect it directly to the sensors near the trunk?

Falk03

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Falk
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Convertible
Is it possible to skip both the LED and the BLIS mirrors and just go with voice alert? I am basically trying to do a simpler installation skipping all the door panel work. If the LED is needed, can I connect it directly to the sensors near the trunk?
CTA would work with the alert from the IPC only, but BLIS will only signal through the LEDs. So you need the LEDs.
In one of the previous posts someone added the LEDs only on the inside of the car without touching the doors.

Chappers

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Supra MkV - Tungsten Silver
you could wire up a buzzer instead of an LED, but it would get very annoying very quickly :crackup:

Sponsored

DerekDeeter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, MT82 300A, 2001 BMW 330Ci, 1993 F150, 1972 V8 Pinto
Will the F150 BLIS modules work on the Mustang? They look somewhat similar but the numbers are different.

Falk03

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Falk
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Convertible
Will the F150 BLIS modules work on the Mustang? They look somewhat similar but the numbers are different.
I think, they should work and they should look exactly the same. If not, then they probably will not fit.

DerekDeeter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
I think, they should work and they should look exactly the same. If not, then they probably will not fit.
They are physically a little different and they may not fit the Mustang brackets, so don't want to take that chance. I found some Mustang sensors by narrowing my search to "Mustang EM2Z-14C689-A" - funny how with just the part number you get everything except what you're looking for. Thanks.

asci01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium 50th Anniversary & 50 LE
Just some observations from my install:
a. When entering VIN number, I changed all the pertinent VIN blocks and then hit “write all” since hitting "write" for each VIN block didn’t work for me.

b. To make sure your SODL and SODR have the correct VIN number, you can view it for the respective module by hitting “edit” on the “Module Configuration” just below the “Module Configuration (AS BUILT format)”

c. I used 22 AWG gauge wire

d. I used the yellow LEDs to match the OEM BLIS and I got no errors.

DerekDeeter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
Successfully completed BLIS/CTA install on my 2018 Mustang GT, have some info to share...

I was able to procure a couple of the modules for $25ea on eBay, the sucky part is all these (pre-2018) parts are being discontinued, so the brackets and pigtails were between $35-$39 each. I ended up buying Bull Run's recommended LED's and installed them in the A pillars like he did. They blend in pretty nice but are right where you want to see them, I used the yellow ones and they worked right out of the package.

The modules were pre-2018 as it looks like 2018 forward the modules (and probably brackets and plugs) are different. You can tell by looking at the FORscan dump of the SODL/SODR data and the As-Built data for 2018's that came with BLIS installed. The pre-2018 modules have 10 blocks of data whereas the 2018 up modules have 12 blocks of data. That being said, the pre-2018 modules do work in my 2018 car.

There were 2 issues I ran into. The first was my misconception entering the VIN into the SODR/SODL data, so to clarify, the VIN is a 17 digit number, but the data blocks have 22 hex digits. What I didn't understand is that each block has an ending 2 digit hex checksum (4 in all, one for each block, not one for all blocks) so when I entered my VIN digits over the checksums, they always changed to something else after writing the block and I got DTC's for non-matching VINs. When I entered the VIN correctly (5 hex digits in the first block, the next hex digit in the 2nd block, the next 5 digits in the 3rd block, etc., the last block (7C6-10-1) filled with the last 5 hex digits of the VIN evenly and my DTC went away.

The second issue was that after the VIN was correct and I drove the car, I got DTC U0402 - Invalid Data Received from TCM (Transmission Control Module). I figured that must come from an automatic transmission unit, so my modules came off an automatic trans car while mine is a manual. Had to dig into As-built data for 2016 cars to find manual trans SODR/SODL data, and comparing found that one bit changes between the auto and manual trans data in each module. So to update the modules from auto trans to manual:

SODR: 7C4-01-01 data is 0000 00CD, change the first digit to '2' so 0000 -> 2000. The CD is the checksum, it will update to 00EF and the end result will look like 2000 00EF.

SODL: 7C6-01-01 data is 0000 00CF, change first digit to '2' so end result is 2000 00ED.

After that, all DTC's cleared and the BLIS lights flashed upon updating the modules. I noticed also that as long as there were DTC's in the modules, even though the modules were enabled in the Driver Assist section, you cannot change or remove the checkmarks until everything is programmed correctly, and a 'CTA off' icon shows in the cluster.

It was nice to drive to work this morning and see the LED's come on as I passed each car on either side - it lights up the blind spot pretty much where you would want it to - way cool. Many thanks to OP for starting this subject and all the people who enlightened us along the way!

Sponsored

Blade007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost Magnetic, 2011 Nissan quest
Hi, has anyone tried a 2018 module on a 2015-2017 car?
Also, are these side specific?
Thanks

Blade007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost Magnetic, 2011 Nissan quest
Hi Guys,
I purchased 2 modules on ebay for $60 shipped with the mounting brackets that came from a 2017 gt with 6k miles. Are these side specific or does that not matter?
Thanks

300mag

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
17 Ecoboost Prem Vert
Hi Guys,
I purchased 2 modules on ebay for $60 shipped with the mounting brackets that came from a 2017 gt with 6k miles. Are these side specific or does that not matter?
Thanks
No, use on either side

asci01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium 50th Anniversary & 50 LE
the sensors are not side specific. They are the same sensors.