Sponsored

"Mustang Mach E" Confirmed, Reservations Begin Immediately After Nov 17 Live-Streamed Reveal

How will Ford naming it's new electric SUV "Mustang Mach E" impact your future purchase decisions.

• Much more likely to purchase a traditional Mustang coupe.

Votes: 49 12.5%
  • Slightly more likely to purchase a traditional Mustang coupe.

Votes: 6 1.5%
  • No change

Votes: 219 55.9%
  • Slightly less likely to purchase a traditional Mustang coupe.

Votes: 55 14.0%
  • Much less likely to purchase a traditional Mustang coupe.

Votes: 63 16.1%

• Total voters

analogman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Ford thinks a lot of consumers aren’t all that smart, and that more will probably buy this thing if it has the name ‘Mustang’ on it.

They’re probably right.

As H.L. Mencken said (though widely attributed to P.T. Barnum), “No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public”. Ford has probably spent a fair amount of money understanding what their customers will buy (the Edsel notwithstanding).

As much as it pains me to admit it, Ford might be on to something with this thing. There might be a market for people who want a real (= gas-wasting, noise-making, tire-smoking pony car) Mustang, but can’t justify it because 1) it’s impractical as an only car for most people, 2) they can’t swing one as a second car, or 3) their spouse/partner insists they get something more ‘practical’.

Kind of like the target buyer for the Porsche Cayenne, but less expensive. Wants a sports car but needs a 4 door something. Just like a lot of Cayenne buyers want something comfortable and practical, but still want to be able to say they own a Por-shuh. Maybe a similar deal here, practical but the owner can say they own a ‘Mustang’ and make them feel younger than they are. Throw in ‘electric’ to appeal to people who think that makes it ‘environmentally friendly’, and they might actually sell a few.

Just not to me.
Sponsored

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Ford thinks a lot of consumers aren’t all that smart, and that more will probably buy this thing if it has the name ‘Mustang’ on it.
That's why Ford changed the name of the Five Hundred to Taurus, name recognition.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
I posted this in one of the other E threads and it doesn’t matter what it looks like - my response is and will remain the same:

IMO, Ford should have been more geared towards bringing the true Heritage Mustang EV to the forefront BEFORE attempting to create another freaking “egg on wheels” and plastering the Mustang pony to it. Getting a true Heritage Mustang EV on the road and to the public, THAT would have been a winning design and milestone to conquer - not bring something to market that it is NOT when referring to it as “Mustang inspired”.

This was “Mustang inspired” too - there were not people rushing to get them....

upload_2019-11-14_9-44-53.jpeg

upload_2019-11-14_9-45-27.jpeg

Ford has literally:
upload_2019-11-14_9-49-1.gif

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
And ya know what else - the “new” owners of this steaming heap will then be hitting up ANY forum with the word “Mustang” in it.... thinking they can get tech and forum responses because they have what they THINK is a “Mustang” with the attached iconic Pony.... when it’s NOT.

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
As the Lightning name is not being used and is a performance name with Less history it would have been a better name. It's also already associated with electricity.

It could be the Mustang inspired Lightning. An all-electric truck could be the Lightning F-150, and the future electric Mustang could be called the Lightning Mustang. Similar to how Chevy has the SS and then on other vehicles SS was just a trim level to mean it meets the bar set by the SS.

Others would be the Lightning Edge, Lightning Explorer ECT. Similar to the SVT badging went.

Sponsored

NoReins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Work in Progress
As the Lightning name is not being used and is a performance name with Less history it would have been a better name. It's also already associated with electricity.

It could be the Mustang inspired Lightning. An all-electric truck could be the Lightning F-150, and the future electric Mustang could be called the Lightning Mustang. Similar to how Chevy has the SS and then on other vehicles SS was just a trim level to mean it meets the bar set by the SS.

Others would be the Lightning Edge, Lightning Explorer ECT. Similar to the SVT badging went.
The people that complained about using Mach 1 would be the same people that complain about using Lightning since that was a F-150

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
P-51 Mustang... which was a huge driving factor in the naming of the original car.

P-38 Lightning....was a little slower than the Mustang....Ironic. However, those old supercharged Allisons were known for being very smooth running engines.

Regardless, I like the name.

gixxersixxerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2020 GR Supra
If it doesn't let in rain like my 2018 coupé then I'm all for it. A fast Ford. What's anybody's problem?
ThEy ArE kIlLiNg ThE HeRiTaGe.. People are calling it garbage and junk and heap, no one knows a thing about it other then a name and its electric and a suv of some sort. It may very well be all of those things and a failure. or it may turn Ford around and get it away from being penny stock and get some money in the company to invest in a even better mustang..... doubt it though

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
The people that complained about using Mach 1 would be the same people that complain about using Lightning since that was a F-150
Unlikely. The lightning has a much shorter performance history, it's not from the 60's, and is actually related to the vehicle instead of them just trying to throw Mustang and Mach branding on it. The current branding screams of trying to appeal to the one hardcore base they have left that's not f-series. It's like 30 something's trying to seem "cool" to their kids friends and just looking dumb.

samd1351

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 1999 Ranger
Eh, I think Ford will use the Mustang name in expansion to showcase specialty stuff. I see Mustang being car and SUV/CUV, a slow phase out of ICE, and what is there will be high-po.

Chevy did a similar thing with Camaro, expanding it into a SUV/CUV... Just it's called "Blazer" haha.

Grab those GT350's, GT500's, ZL1's and 1LE's while you can...

Got on-line this afternoon and found a nice 1SS 1LE. Red with a red and black interior! I may have to slip over for a test drive.

I really hate to see Ford use the Mustang nameplate for anything other than a true pony car.

Sponsored

kent0464

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kent
Vehicle(s)
1983 Ford Ranger, 1986 SVO Mustang, 2017 Mustang GT PP, 2017 F150 3.5 Eco
Vehicle Showcase
Is this the response to the Blazer being the Camaro SUV? Either way, it sucks and Ford didn't listen to one bit of feedback.

Not surprised at all, the SUV and truck owners out number mustang enthusiasts by a large margin, so they did listen to the feed back we just got out voted!

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Velocity Blue 301A
Tesla would be a cool name for it oh wait......

Roger Blose

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 1988 Mustang GT, 2009 Lincoln MKZ
Warning....a Ford marketing fiasco is in progress as they destroy their icon Mustang brand. This Jim "Buddy" Hackett Pontiac Aztek humpback EV/CUV will be priced high, sell with incentives, and fool no one. May be fast as hell but needs a new name like perhaps Cougar or Thunderbird because you cannot see these showing up at Mustang Club of America shows.

Draklia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
I never thought bought I’d see the day when a Mustang started to resemble a minivan.

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I do have a name I've always been fond of for the new Electric F-150. Considering how much torque and pulling power it will have...

Percheron.

Since we're all on a horse naming kick.
Sponsored