Talk about cheapening an icon.
Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
I’m gonna put this out there too:

If a dedicated Mustang owner needs or wants to own a Ford SUV, CUV or whatever the F the industry wants to call it now - they’re going to opt for the Explorer (typical family), the Expedition (large capacity family and need for towing large toys) OR they will opt for the up and coming Bronco.

IMO, Ford should have been more geared towards bringing the true Mustang EV to the forefront BEFORE attempting to create another freaking “egg on wheels” and plastering the Mustang pony to it. Getting a true Heritage Mustang EV on the road and to the public, THAT would have been a winning design and milestone to conquer - not bring something to market that it is NOT when referring to it as “Mustang inspired”.

This was “Mustang inspired” too - there were not people rushing to get them....

upload_2019-11-14_9-44-53.jpeg

upload_2019-11-14_9-45-27.jpeg

Ford has literally:
upload_2019-11-14_9-49-1.gif

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
I’m gonna put this out there too:

If a dedicated Mustang owner needs or wants to own a Ford SUV, CUV or whatever the F the industry wants to call it now - they’re going to opt for the Explorer (typical family), the Expedition (large capacity family and need for towing large toys) OR they will opt for the up and coming Bronco.

IMO, Ford should have been more geared towards bringing the true Mustang EV to the forefront BEFORE attempting to create another freaking “egg on wheels” and plastering the Mustang pony to it. Getting a true Heritage Mustang EV on the road and to the public, THAT would have been a winning design and milestone to conquer - not being something to market that it is NOT when referring to it as “Mustang inspired”.

This was “Mustang inspired” too - there were not people rushing to get them....

upload_2019-11-14_9-44-53.jpeg

upload_2019-11-14_9-45-27.jpeg

Ford has literally:
upload_2019-11-14_9-49-1.gif

Absolutely agree. Had this Mustang Mach E been a traditional mustang in EV form that would have been a truly bold move that would have paid off (given they gave it the performance it needs)... You could have taken ANY one of your other SUV ideas and made the mass market EV. Hell, you could have taken the bronco and made that an EV... Much better ideas than slapping an iconic sports car name on a damn SUV and hoping that will be the ticket to sell it.

Sponsored

EVL-S550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Other than the sheer vomit inducing move by Ford to call this a Mustang, read the ordering information that's in the press release...ordering online doesn't guarantee delivery. I see ADM happening. Not to mention we will soon have to deal with a new class of donkeys who think they are cool and have just bought a Mustang. No, that's not a real Mustang. I hope no one wants this thing.

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
I want to believe we are being trolled....

Though, that animated mach-e, shows a wider car than the spyshots we have seen. I reserve judgement, but if this is just an EV and nothing is track orientated, then it will be an epic fail on Ford's part. Easily could just be an Escape EV, instead of Mustang.

Sponsored

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
It looks like they really are officially calling this abomination the "Mustang Mach E". I got this email this morning (that a lot of you probably also did) (link below, and image of the actual email attached) -

https://view.email-ford.com/?qs=0d6...7561add4fd1e6053d8ab63b1b280137c2512fba1213bf

I think this is the ultimate Jim Hackett stupidity. Another step in his insane campaign to turn Ford into a 'mobility and truck company'. His wet dream seems to be electric trucks, and that's what he thinks he has with this Mach E monstrosity.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, I hear all the Tesla fanboys crooning about how electric is the future, yada yada yada. Electric vehicles probably are going to be a significant part of transportation infrastructure - but much farther in the future than most people care to believe. A few pesky little details need to be figured out first, like, making charge time reasonable, making range reliably comparable to gas engine cars, making batteries that last as long as the car does, not having to rely on rare Earth metals mined by child slave labor in third-world countries (lithium and cobalt anyone?), developing an infrastructure to deal with the toxic waste of those batteries when they're at the end of their useful lives, and getting the cost down without needing government subsidies.

Then there's the other annoying little detail that today, electric cars are truthfully not the 'zero emissions vehicles' that so many sanctimonious hypocrites wish they were. Right now, the US generates about 2/3 of its electricity from fossil fuels:

https://www.eia.gov/tools/faqs/faq.php?id=427&t=3

So yes, all those 'zero emissions' electric cars are really primarily natural gas and coal powered. The electricity needs to come from something else. You don't poke a hole in the ground and catch it coming out. Unless you're one of the handful of people that happens to be totally off the grid and generates all your electricity from your own windmills or solar panels. No? Well, then your 'electric' car is really powered by natural gas or coal, and in truth it's a remote emissions vehicle. The emissions just happen to come from wherever the electricity used to charge it is being generated.

I'm all for a cleaner environment, and fervently believe we have to move away from fossil fuels and to a renewable energy economy (solar, wind, tidal, etc.). But until (or if) that happens, then the truth is that electric cars are just remote emissions vehicles.

All that aside, I wish that Hackett knew enough about the car business to understand that there is room for an iconic, historic pony car like the Mustang even in his deluded vision of Ford's future. IC cars will be around for a lot longer than some people want to admit (Honda seems to get it). Leave the Mustang alone and let enthusiasts enjoy it, and use it as the last remaining halo car for the once great and now lost car company that Ford used to be.

As one of 12 people who has looked at, sat in the vehicle in person I can tell you the vehicle is very nice and pricing is good as well. I can also tell you the group who were responsible for this car are true enthusiasts and have done some significant things with Mustang. They also expected and understand the sentiment expressed by each of you. The naming decision was decided at the absolute top level, beyond even Mr Hackett. It was relayed that without this decision, Mustang would go the way of the Camaro. Rest assured, the Coupe we love and know is safe for now. Some of you would say, let the Mustang die. That's a valid opinion, one I dont share but, respect. I would purchase the car as a daily driver except for the facts analogman has posted above. For the most part, his post is dead on. I would argue electric is not the future but a stop gap for something much more environmentally friendly and less restrictive. You can thank your Government for this car. I dont know how this will play out but, I am of the opinion that Ford has bigger problems then the naming of a vehicle

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
I'd be surprised if this thing doesn't flop harder than a fat kid diving off the high board. But time will tell.

I make decent money, but I personally think it's incredibly overpriced.

tokuzumi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Escalade ESV
I don't think this vehicle will flop in the sense of Ford's expectations for this vehicle. I don't see it selling hundreds of thousands of these in the first year. But I could see people cross shopping this against one of the Tesla offerings, which is exactly what Ford wants.

But this is NOT a Mustang, other than in same the sense that BMW thinks that 4 door cars are "coupes". Ford just slapped the Mustang badge on the car and called it a day.