2018, 2019, 2020 Mustang GT experience

Amipio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT
Hi.
No problems whatsoever.
New My 19 'is 10 months old and 11,000 km long ..

Vstang2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
OP MY19 has 2,500 miles now and I love it. I sorta bought into the paranoia of the tick and listen for every creak or fart noise the car makes and at the end of the day realized that's all it was....paranoia. The car rides great hauls tail and scares the crap outa me if I get Into it to much as I'm still learning the car. Buy the car and enjoy it , don't let the minority ruin your enjoyment of it with B.S fear.

lacanteen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2022 EB premium vert, 2013 Escape, 2017 F150 SC5.0
Get an Ecoboost (in Race Red). <BOOM> Problem solved! :flag::clap:

Sponsored

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
21000 miles on my 19' gt. Has the 2k rattle but not the bbq tick. I put a lot of miles on it daily and drive the piss out of it. 7k pulls every day and lots of wheel spinning. Car feels faster now than it did a year ago when I bought it. Yes the engine is noisy, more so after I installed an intake but the stock exhaust sounds so good it drowns it out 99% of the time. The s550 is the kind of car that makes me happy to get up at the crack of dawn and drive to work.

Sawyerjames

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt A10
Vehicle Showcase
My 2018 GT A10 (purchased new) has 26,000 miles and has been Procharged for 14,000 miles now. It is my daily driver, and knock on wood I have had zero issues. No ticks, no barks, no whistles, just a loud woosh from the bov when I let off the throttle. All I have done is oil changes, and changed tires. All cars have issues, and Youtube "influencers" wouldn't gain "followers" from all posting how their car is "just fine"

cib24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Mazda RX-7 Type RS
Could much of the BBQ tick noise be something like low speed pre-ignition?

Ford specifies an oil that is certified for Ford WSS-M2C946-A for pre-2018 cars and Ford WSS-M2C946-B1 for 2018+ cars.

Yet, hardly anyone is using those types of oils and many default to their old favourites such as Mobil 1 or some other brand without considering the Ford spec requirement, of which quite a few brands you would typically think of don't actually meet either of these specs.

I know we can all argue that oil is oil, but it's not really is it?

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Velocity Blue 301A
Could much of the BBQ tick noise be something like low speed pre-ignition?

Ford specifies an oil that is certified for Ford WSS-M2C946-A for pre-2018 cars and Ford WSS-M2C946-B1 for 2018+ cars.

Yet, hardly anyone is using those types of oils and many default to their old favourites such as Mobil 1 or some other brand without considering the Ford spec requirement, of which quite a few brands you would typically think of don't actually meet either of these specs.

I know we can all argue that oil is oil, but it's not really is it?
Its nigh impossible to find oil that meets the factory spec where I live. I wanted to have a spare liter so I could add oil during the period while the car has the factory fill in it which it still does. And no fancy oil I checked (Mobil 1, Pennzoil, Castrol) met the B1 spec you noted. So I went to a Ford dealer and got a liter of the Semi-Syn that conforms to be on the safe side. I doubt the tick is related to that only because it seems it happens as soon as the car is restarted and I assume it would take a bit of time for the oil to impact the area around the pistons where LSPI seems to occur.

But who knows? In any case my car is getting a change at the dealer soon if I can get around the damned snow we have had this week if only to ensure I get oil that meets warranty requirements. Cuz I can't get it anywhere else it seems.

13GetThere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lynn
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP2 Magnet Grey
I had a 2013 GT. It may of had a tick, but if it did it was it was hard to hear. I think I heard it, but I couldn't really call it a tick because it was hardly noticeable. Never seemed to affect how the car ran, and it ran GREAT.
I traded it at 15,300 miles and it looked and ran like it was brand new, Even still had that new car smell, and I got a new 2019 Mustang GT PP2. Haven't had much of a chance to drive it; has less than 300 miles on it, and 170 were put on it in the dealer to dealer trade.
Sat in it one evening, started it up and started looking through the manuals to get familiar with the car. Started hearing the tick. It was noticeable, but after the engine warmed up it became very faint. Then I read in the manual, that the engine may have a tick and that was normal. I took it for a drive a few days later, and I got home OK, and I don't remember the tick ever bothering me.
I noticed a tick in my F250 around 50,000 miles because I read people complaining about the tick in their Mustang GT's. It could have been there before but I didn't notice it until I listened for it. Sounded like the lifters. It's now just shy of 100,000 miles, still makes that tick or clicking and runs as good as the day I drove it home the first time, and it's had a hard life.

Sponsored

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
Ford specifies an oil that is certified for Ford WSS-M2C946-A for pre-2018 cars and Ford for 2018+ cars.
You're having trouble finding it because WSS-M2C946-B1 is Ford's 5w30 certification (for the ecoboost). The 5w20 is WSS-M2C945-B1. Some 2018 owners will probably show WSS-M2C945-A in their manual. WSS-M2C945-B1 is the new certification to combat LSPI with lower calcium. Anything that says SN+ and dexos 1 gen 2 most likely meets, and exceeds, the B1 (even if it's labeled as A). Considering a good amount of 2018 models are spec'd for the A originally, I wouldn't see an issue using any 5w20 with that certification. It'll change again, next year, when the new GF-6 certification comes out and Ford will have to buy an updated formulation to meet the new spec. SN+ is just a refresh cycle for gf-5 to deal with LSPI, which mainly affects turbo engines and when coupled with a longer OCI. GF-6 has a new range of testing with newer engines with the main difference being it's new emphasis on timing chain wear, on top of the requirements for SN+.

That all being said, unless someone is redlining the engine when it's cold, oil isn't likely the issue for anyone that has had a legit engine failure. I would know, considering I babied my car and was using the factory fill when I needed a new longblock.

EDIT: Also highly unlikely the bbq tick is LSPI. LSPI is caused by high loads at low rpms with GDI, and more prominently, TGDI engines. The bbq tick occurs at idle and has been around since the gen 1 coyotes; which was neither turbo or direct injection.

OP
OP

pkasmustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pavol
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes CLS
Thanks guys for all your comments and advice... Are there more of you owners of 2018+ mustangs willing to share ypur own experience? Are there any of you with more miles and no ticking / knocking issues or engine failures?

Tseg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
I love my 18 GT, unfortunately my wife loves it also and has kind of taken it over. No issues! Watch those tick videos... “if you stick you head up under the wheel well here and listen in the first 30 seconds of start up... yup... hear that tick?”. Reminds me of the joke, “Doctor, my head hurts when I hit it like this, what should I do?” Doctor: “Stop hitting your head.”

ihc95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10 401A
Thanks guys for all your comments and advice... Are there more of you owners of 2018+ mustangs willing to share ypur own experience? Are there any of you with more miles and no ticking / knocking issues or engine failures?
I've had my 2018 GT for over a year and a half and the engine has been perfect. The high compression and DI make them noisy engines by nature, but it's nothing to worry about.

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
My 2018 GT has 12k miles. No issues at all. Yes, it is noisier than old school V8 engines and that requires some getting used to. Don't forget, they use thin wall casting, direct injection, lots of plastic components, everything they can do to reduce weight. There isn't a lot there that will absorb noise. Don't get caught up in the horror stories!
Sponsored