Sponsored

Time to ditch the summer tires?

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
i dont even give it gas. i was saying i literally slowly let the clutch out no gas and it will still spin in some conditions.
Definitely in certain conditions any tire will slip. If it's snowy/icy but close to freezing and you spin the tires too much (warm them up), they will get extremely slippery because they can create a thin layer of water on the ice. Obviously if the tires are worn they will not grip as well either.

But with the right tires Mustangs can be really good winter driving cars.
Sponsored

meangreen83

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Christopher
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
Vehicle Showcase
Dealing with the same thing here in SC. Lows are dipping into the 20’s this week. Swapping my 4S’s for A/S’s.
I’m from SC as well and I’ve had my car for only 3 weeks and I have been wondering if I should switch to an all season tire from the ps4s. Right now I don’t drive it after dark or when the temps fall into the 40s or below. I’ve noticed the lower the temp gets, the more squirrelly the tires tend to get.

Phatpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
I bought some General G-max AS05's for my brand new GT PP1 one week after buying it because the PS4S's were slippery with the cold snap we had. No problems with the Generals slipping in the cold. I'll put the PS4S's back on in the spring.

RIBS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Ruby Red
I had Pirelli all season 19’s, then switched rims and had Pirelli summer 20’s, now I have conti dsw6 all season.
By far the Continentals are the best of the bunch, and yes they are all season! They are fine in 25 degree Atlanta winter and 100 degree summers, and they just ran 11.97@ 111.17 in the quarter mile....
The summer tires were crap under 60 degrees, and they never warmed up and gripped...
I don’t run road courses but the all seasons ran faster in the quarter mile than my summer tires did....

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
... I’ve noticed the lower the temp gets, the more squirrelly the tires tend to get.
All tires behave that way, just in different temperature ranges.

It's good that you've been paying attention. Ultimately, it's on you to stay out of the "squirrely-ness", and don't count on all-seasons or even full-on winter tires feeling as "stuck-down" on the colder days as summer performance tires do on a dry day in the middle of summer.

Norm
Sponsored