Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Think of the Mustang as a 3/4 Series/C class brand going forward.
BMW has the 3, 4, M3, M4, Convertible, X4, X4M, Gran Coupe, Electric i3, and Future i4
MB has C- Class Sedan, Coupe, Convertible, CLS, GLC, Electric EQC
:crying:
Sponsored

OP
OP
Topnotch

Topnotch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mazda CX-9 Touring

OP
OP
Topnotch

Topnotch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mazda CX-9 Touring
OP
OP
Topnotch

Topnotch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mazda CX-9 Touring

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Blasphemy....

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
Congrats Ford.... You just F*cked away your icon...

I mean really, if you had "such a strong reaction" to calling it Mach 1, what the hell made you think calling it a mustang and putting a pony badge on it was much better?

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
I know I’m one of the ones pushing progress, blah, blah, blah.........but I am soooo pissed tight now..

upload_2019-11-14_9-5-28.gif

Sponsored

analogman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
It looks like they really are officially calling this abomination the "Mustang Mach E". I got this email this morning (that a lot of you probably also did) (link below, and image of the actual email attached) -

https://view.email-ford.com/?qs=0d6...7561add4fd1e6053d8ab63b1b280137c2512fba1213bf

I think this is the ultimate Jim Hackett stupidity. Another step in his insane campaign to turn Ford into a 'mobility and truck company'. His wet dream seems to be electric trucks, and that's what he thinks he has with this Mach E monstrosity.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, I hear all the Tesla fanboys crooning about how electric is the future, yada yada yada. Electric vehicles probably are going to be a significant part of transportation infrastructure - but much farther in the future than most people care to believe. A few pesky little details need to be figured out first, like, making charge time reasonable, making range reliably comparable to gas engine cars, making batteries that last as long as the car does, not having to rely on rare Earth metals mined by child slave labor in third-world countries (lithium and cobalt anyone?), developing an infrastructure to deal with the toxic waste of those batteries when they're at the end of their useful lives, and getting the cost down without needing government subsidies.

Then there's the other annoying little detail that today, electric cars are truthfully not the 'zero emissions vehicles' that so many sanctimonious hypocrites wish they were. Right now, the US generates about 2/3 of its electricity from fossil fuels:

https://www.eia.gov/tools/faqs/faq.php?id=427&t=3

So yes, all those 'zero emissions' electric cars are really primarily natural gas and coal powered. The electricity needs to come from something else. You don't poke a hole in the ground and catch it coming out. Unless you're one of the handful of people that happens to be totally off the grid and generates all your electricity from your own windmills or solar panels. No? Well, then your 'electric' car is really powered by natural gas or coal, and in truth it's a remote emissions vehicle. The emissions just happen to come from wherever the electricity used to charge it is being generated.

I'm all for a cleaner environment, and fervently believe we have to move away from fossil fuels and to a renewable energy economy (solar, wind, tidal, etc.). But until (or if) that happens, then the truth is that electric cars are just remote emissions vehicles.

All that aside, I wish that Hackett knew enough about the car business to understand that there is room for an iconic, historic pony car like the Mustang even in his deluded vision of Ford's future. IC cars will be around for a lot longer than some people want to admit (Honda seems to get it). Leave the Mustang alone and let enthusiasts enjoy it, and use it as the last remaining halo car for the once great and now lost car company that Ford used to be.
Sponsored

Attachments