Sponsored

new service procedures for oil consumption

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
I can't contradict you.. but. I am not a racing driver, merely an amateur with back to back months of racing experience... on the PC :)

But on the real track, every time I do NOT match the engine speed with car speed, ie. downshifting, I either stuff up the turn as rear breaks traction a bit, or worse I end up oversteering and I have to correct. Again losing time...
So I really rev-match as good as I can, no engine braking for me.

From what I know, what instructors told me, and what I have been doing for years, there is no coasting where the engine could be braking. You are either accelerating, or squeezing the brakes on a race track.
Look at F1 drivers where they show the cockpit and you can see throttle and brake percentage.... never at least one line up at any point.

Again, just my opinion.
Weather you rev match or not there is still engine braking going on unless you are right back on the throttle. you can and will be on the brakes while the engine is braking. Yes, its not like in the old days when the brakes sucked and you had to use the engine. Its more about being in the right gear to accelerate once off the brakes
Sponsored

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Engine braking is the feeling of slowing down when you lift off the throttle without or before you put your foot on the brake. It has nothing to do with downshifting. Shifts should always be rev-matched, up or down.

Droopy1592

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Damien
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I can't contradict you.. but. I am not a racing driver, merely an amateur with back to back months of racing experience... on the PC :)

But on the real track, every time I do NOT match the engine speed with car speed, ie. downshifting, I either stuff up the turn as rear breaks traction a bit, or worse I end up oversteering and I have to correct. Again losing time...

From what I know, what instructors told me, and what I have been doing for years, there is no coasting where the engine could be braking. You are either accelerating, or squeezing the brakes on a race track.
Look at F1 drivers where they show the cockpit and you can see throttle and brake percentage.... never at least one line up at any point.

Again, just my opinion.
Sounds like something I said 20 years ago when I first learned to race motorcycles. Are you braking with the clutched disengaged or the transmission in neutral? If not, then you’re engine braking. Steady state cornering doesn’t utilize accelerating or braking and is useful on some types of turns/ tracks. Please, if you’re rev matching on downshifting while decel, you’re engine braking. F1 cars utilize multiple map types to aid in engine braking (to make it smoother, upset the handling less, and make it less stressful) so not sure what you’re getting at. Professional racers don’t engine brake? I’m so confused by your response.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Interesting. I wonder if the idea may carry over to the GT350. I wish we had someone from Ford Performance here to comment. It sure would change the perception of the oil consumption stigma.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Going from new engines to new pcm calibration
I’m not sure this is for the 350 though.
E96BB33A-EAFA-4BF9-B9A4-A02CF4873CC1.png

It’s clearly NOT for the GT350 OR the S550 5.0 platform. It’s the 11/12/19 TSB 19-2338 that is strictly for the 2018-2019 F150 w/ 5.0.

This means IF a GT350 or S550 5.0 has oil consumption issues, that TSB does not apply at all, nor would either platform qualify for any such warranty work.

While it’s a good thought to pass it along, everyone has to understand there is no such official doc out for the GT350 or the S550 5.0 (yet). So hopefully folks won’t go running to their Dealer trying to get them to “look, there’s a TSB can you reflash my PCM”...

Attached is the F150 TSB 19-2338.

Attachments

Sponsored

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
It’s clearly NOT for the GT350 OR the S550 5.0 platform. It’s the 11/12/19 TSB 19-2338 that is strictly for the 2018-2019 F150 w/ 5.0.

This means IF a GT350 or S550 5.0 has oil consumption issues, that TSB does not apply at all, nor would either platform qualify for any such warranty work.

While it’s a good thought to pass it along, everyone has to understand there is no such official doc out for the GT350 or the S550 5.0 (yet). So hopefully folks won’t go running to their Dealer trying to get them to “look, there’s a TSB can you reflash my PCM”...

I think we all know that but there was mention of a new ... flash.. on the gt350 a while ago who is to say what that held.

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
I think we all know that but there was mention of a new ... flash.. on the gt350 a while ago who is to say what that held.
YES! and I asked my dealership last year if they would do it for free, and they wouldn't... unless something was broken and it can be proven the flash will fix it. Like the stuck exhaust valves.

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853

Thanks for posting the F-150 TSB. Always good to have the source doc.

My jaw would fall off if Ford releases a comparable doc for the Voodoo admitting engines were replaced unnecessarily? :facepalm:

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Glad to see it's an F-150 document.

Regarding engine braking - it's entirely personal preference, but I like for the car to slow down when I lift off the throttle. It does nothing on track (at least not for me), because when I lift off the throttle I'm immediately hard on the brakes and then the clutch goes in for downshifting.

I do agree that less engine braking could be nice for on track situations when you are downshifting and revs aren't perfectly matched.

Mostly for me I like engine braking in traffic during commuting. I dislike constantly having to step on the brakes. Part of what I like about driving a manual transmission car in traffic is the control you have over the car without using the brake pedal.

CANTWN4LSN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Glad to see it's an F-150 document.

Regarding engine braking - it's entirely personal preference, but I like for the car to slow down when I lift off the throttle. It does nothing on track (at least not for me), because when I lift off the throttle I'm immediately hard on the brakes and then the clutch goes in for downshifting.

I do agree that less engine braking could be nice for on track situations when you are downshifting and revs aren't perfectly matched.

Mostly for me I like engine braking in traffic during commuting. I dislike constantly having to step on the brakes. Part of what I like about driving a manual transmission car in traffic is the control you have over the car without using the brake pedal.
And you're a classic example of a driver who engine braked and didn't use oil.
Personally if this is a problem, I would gladly pay for a PCM update to go from a quart per 1500 to a quart per 3000 for longevity (all that oil going through can't be great for the car can it?), the cost of the oil, and not having to keep 3-4 quarts in the trunk for long road trips.

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
And you're a classic example of a driver who engine braked and didn't use oil.
Personally if this is a problem, I would gladly pay for a PCM update to go from a quart per 1500 to a quart per 3000 for longevity (all that oil going through can't be great for the car can it?), the cost of the oil, and not having to keep 3-4 quarts in the trunk for long road trips.
I agree with you. If I had a car that used oil it would be worth it giving up some engine braking to reduce oil consumption.

Yes I would engine brake all the time on the street in my GT350 from when it was new up until I sold it with ~33,000 miles on it and it didn't consume oil. I especially did a lot of engine braking / no throttle coasting during initial engine break-in. I've always thought that coasting with no throttle during initial engine break-in plays a significant part of getting a good ring seal.

MaxHedrm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Convertible - Orange Fury
Vehicle Showcase

Do you let up on the throttle after you downshift? Then you are engine braking. If you've downshifted & your foot is on the brakes, you are engine braking. Any time you're in gear with your foot on the brake instead of the throttle, you're engine braking. On a track (or spirited mountainous driving) it's very useful to make sure your brakes don't get toasted & fail.

tracktardicus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Toyota 86
Do you let up on the throttle after you downshift? Then you are engine braking. If you've downshifted & your foot is on the brakes, you are engine braking. Any time you're in gear with your foot on the brake instead of the throttle, you're engine braking. On a track (or spirited mountainous driving) it's very useful to make sure your brakes don't get toasted & fail.
You should never use the engine to slow the car on track. If you are relying on the engine to slow down on the track because you fear the brakes won't stop you, then you don't have enough brake-you need better pads, fluid, or calipers. If you are a professional driver, you are either on throttle or on brake, unless you are on a turn that grip limitations require you to coast. Yes, there may be a little engine braking even when rev-matching, but if you are trying to be as fast as possible on a track, you never use the engine to slow you down.

mavisky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
You should never use the engine to slow the car on track. If you are relying on the engine to slow down on the track because you fear the brakes won't stop you, then you don't have enough brake-you need better pads, fluid, or calipers. If you are a professional driver, you are either on throttle or on brake, unless you are on a turn that grip limitations require you to coast. Yes, there may be a little engine braking even when rev-matching, but if you are trying to be as fast as possible on a track, you never use the engine to slow you down.
There is a difference between using ONLY the engine for braking or leaving the car in gear while braking. Doing the latter still results in a minimal amount of engine braking being applied at the same time as the braking force. Unless you are truly advocating that professional drivers should be braking only with the clutch in and the driveline completely disengaged from the drive wheels. This argument has gotten into very fine semantics here.
Sponsored