2018, 2019, 2020 Mustang GT experience

pkasmustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pavol
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes CLS
Hi everybody. I'm thinking about buying new 2020 Mustang GT 5,0 (10 speed auto) in Europe and would like to ask you - owners of 2018, 2019, 2020 models - about your experience with this car ??? I already wanted to place an order. ...but as I've started to read forums and watch youtube videos (including discussions below them), I am "shocked" that there are so many problems with engines...... it seems, that it is always just a question of time, when the engine tick appears...sooner or later.... I wanted to wait until first videos of 2020 models appear on youtube or discussions in forums, if this problem has been resolved. But it still seems to be there. First engine tick on 2020 model has already been reported.
I spoke to local Ford dealer here about it and of course, you can imagine what they said... allegedly they had no experience with this kind of problems in the past and were very surprised.... Mustang is beautiful car, but I can't afford to waste my earned money for the car that is not reliable. I would very appreciate all your comments (2018,2019 and 2020 owners) about your own experiences with this car ??? All - positive or negative. It would help me a lot. Because usually people go to the forums when they have the problems and in this case it seems like that EVERYONE has a problem with this car, so many issues have been posted. Thank you very much for your help.
Sponsored

TheSnowmanMafia

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium
I am "shocked" that there are so many problems with engines...... Because usually people go to the forums when they have the problems and in this case it seems like that EVERYONE has a problem with this car, so many issues have been posted. Thank you very much for your help.
What now...? I've put 7500 miles on mine in 5 months and its fine. I redline the hell out of it every time I drive it.

I think you're being dramatic.

The_Phantom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
Mine has been good so far. 4 months, 4k miles.

Some rattles have shown up quick here and there and the paint is stupid thin, but mechanically it has been ok.

Sponsored

Bluelightning

Bluelightning
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lightning Blue 2017 GT350, 2019 F-150 4x4 Ecoboost (Daily)
Vehicle Showcase
Mine was awesome. Installed the Whipple as soon as it became available, and had a ton of fun with it for 14K trouble free miles (over 8K miles boosted) until it went airborne into a field.

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
No issues here either on my 2019. Even if they do tick or rattle there are not that many that have actually been replaced. I wouldn't worry - just get on and buy it !

Diocletian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Orange Fury Mustang GT Premium A10 w/ PP1.
My 2018 GT is currently sitting in the garage not able to start. Still trying to figure that one out. Might be an issue with the E85 tune and misreporting how much I had left in the tank(says 18 miles left) but I honestly haven't had the time to look into it. So right now I got a $50k garage ornament lol. When it comes to 2018+ A10 GT's and E85 tunes your mileage may vary, expect some issues and growing pains there. Hopefully you fair better than I have, my car has been a nightmare but I still don't HATE it, amazingly.

gixxersixxerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2020 GR Supra
The tick has been around since the coyote has been around. hundreds of YT videos prove it. I think the plasma lined cylinders just allow more noise to be heard. Thousands are out there being beat on daily. lots are making 750-1000whp. Id buy my same car again (maybe in orange fury this time) in a heartbeat.. Buy it and enjoy it. Dont worry about the few YT "stars" that make it seem every Gen 3 coyote is bad.

19GTCS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT California Special
My 19 is a little over a year old and and has 16k miles. Mine has always had the “tick” but no mechanical issues. Have had to have the digital dash replaced, 3 B&O speakers replaced and an o2 sensor replaced all under warranty.

Sponsored

Roger Blose

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 1988 Mustang GT, 2009 Lincoln MKZ
2018 GT with A10 here with 6500 miles. Runs great, quiet engine, just had the tranny re-flashed for improved downshifts and drivability issues. Works perfectly now. Also had a small leak in the radiator due to a bad side crimp. Dealer replaced the radiator under warranty. I did change the oil three times in the first 1000 miles to get rid of all of the metallic crud that I found in the drain pan at 200 miles. Highly recommended cheap insurance for a quiet Coyote motor! Love the remote start that comes with the A10 package.

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
I've not heard reports of ANY ticking from any 18+ Mustangs in the UK.........and I'm also an Admin on the largest Mustang FB group in the UK.

Buy one in confidence :)

Tmm113

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT California Special, 2018 GMC Sierra 1500
I have a 2019 and mine got the BBQ tick around 800 miles only when cold. 4K on it now. I freaked out about it at first because someone, who didn’t even own a mustang, said they heard about it and told me about some horror stories. I let it get to me, but after reading about it more on here, it eased my mind. People overreacted and made it bigger than what it is as most people already said. I love my mustang and would do it all over again. You won’t regret your decision. I came over from the Camaro side and I will never go back!
Sponsored