crimson_crowd_eater

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I've never drag raced before on a real prepped dragstrip. I have a totally stock (except for an FP strut tower brace and JLT catch can) 2018 Mustang GT A10. I don't have drag radials or anything, just the stock Pirelli All seasons.
What tips and tricks do you guys have for the A10 and a first timer drag racer? Also, if everything is stock, is there any real threat of something breaking? That's always been a fear of mine, so I've never really tried to do it before.
Sponsored

jmeiers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1/401A/A10
Vehicle Showcase
My advice is to get a sticky tire before even bothering going to the strip. The A10 cars are capable of some quick times without much work but you really need a sticky tire to run those times with any consistency. They will run 11's all day long with a sticky tire. Sure, there may be people who have done OK with street tires but they are few and far between. Save yourself the aggravation and get a cheap set of wheels and any drag radial will do the job. I had my car almost a full year before going to the track because I wanted all the supporting mods to be in place before "wasting" my time.

Silver Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Coupe PP2
Avoid the water box. Always let a faster car leave first unless you're maybe trying to race a friend. Your ET starts when you move, so you can sit there for a couple seconds to let the other guy go. You don't need a drag radial your first time out. Go have fun and be safe. There will always be opportunities to go faster once you get the hang of it.

Pay attention to the track worker. Pre stage lights the first light, then ease up to stage the second light. If you are on regular street tires, there's no need for a burnout. You might power brake to about 2000 or 2500 rpm and then adjust as necessary once you start to figure out your traction. Spinning results in slow ET's although you might trap a little higher speed. The key is to get the lowest 60' time you can. Once you roll out of the throttle you can pretty much mat it. Just be careful if you start to spin, just let out until you have control. If your first pass is in the 14's, don't get discouraged. Work on that 60' and get a feel for feathering the throttle to limit wheel spin. You want maximum throttle without spinning.

You might try reducing the rear tire pressure a little, but that's where the drag radials will come into play later down the road. Cold temps or poor track prep can make for real traction issues. I'd just get comfortable staging and making a few passes before you start getting more serious.

Good luck and post up some results when you're done.

OP
OP
crimson_crowd_eater

crimson_crowd_eater

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
My advice is to get a sticky tire before even bothering going to the strip. The A10 cars are capable of some quick times without much work but you really need a sticky tire to run those times with any consistency. They will run 11's all day long with a sticky tire. Sure, there may be people who have done OK with street tires but they are few and far between. Save yourself the aggravation and get a cheap set of wheels and any drag radial will do the job. I had my car almost a full year before going to the track because I wanted all the supporting mods to be in place before "wasting" my time.
Well I'm not going to the strip to kill a time, I'm just going with some friends to have fun.

kent0464

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kent
Vehicle(s)
1983 Ford Ranger, 1986 SVO Mustang, 2017 Mustang GT PP, 2017 F150 3.5 Eco
Vehicle Showcase
All the above is good, most important is just have fun and don’t drive angry! Talk to the guys in the pits, and learn.

Sponsored

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
Lots of good tips already.

Avoid the waterbox - that's a great tip. But depending on your track, you might not have the room / choice to avoid driving through the water sprayed before the line (to help with cars running slicks for burnouts to heat up the tires). If you can't avoid it - pull around it as much as possible. Then stop past it once you straighten the car up and do a quick stab to just get the water off the tires.

Other cars will thank you for not tracking water to the staging lanes.

Great tip about not racing the other car....you're trying to get to know your car at the track and make it about your best time - not beating the other car. But if you're racing friends for bragging rights, once the two staging lights are lit on both sides - wait for lights to trigger. Leave on the last yellow.

Have fun.

jmeiers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1/401A/A10
Vehicle Showcase
Well I'm not going to the strip to kill a time, I'm just going with some friends to have fun.
And you should have fun. Just walk up near the line and observe a few cars setting up for their runs before making any runs on your car.

You asked for some tips and I gave an important one. A sticky tire is the absolute best thing you can use at the drag strip and will take your racing experience to the next level.

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT premium A10 (SOLD)
All good tips. Be aware that wheel hop is a real possibility with the street tires you have. Wheel hop can break axles and be damaging so if you experience it, BACK OFF. My car, with the all season Pirellis, was OK at launch but wheel hopped terribly on the 1-2 shift in drag mode. If you have that issue, try using sport+ instead. It will not shift as hard and will be less likely to spin or hop on the shifts. If you have a base car without the modes, you should be fine on the shifts.

Have fun. Also be aware that it is addicting. :) I run many times over the summer and have gotten to know some great folks at the strip in addition to enjoying the quarter mile passes.

Troy Carter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Troy
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
Don't stress anything. Just go.

Make sure you note where the starting timing beams are before going up with your car. Do a small burnout and roll slowly up to the beams. Once the first one lights calm yourself and slowly roll into the second beam. When the light goes green floor the car and keep it straight.

Honestly, I'd make the first run with TC on just like you were on the street. No pressure, let the car do what it needs to get you to the end. These things are surprisingly good and that will give you a lap of practice to be comfy with the entire experience. Then, turn the TC off and give it a try.

Good luck and have fun.

OP
OP
crimson_crowd_eater

crimson_crowd_eater

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
You asked for some tips and I gave an important one. A sticky tire is the absolute best thing you can use at the drag strip and will take your racing experience to the next level.
I know, I know. Just also wanted to clarify that this isn't a bracket race or anything. Just hanging out with a few friends.

Also for warranty purposes, I am not competing in anything, merely an event for fun. (FORD!)
Sponsored