Sponsored

GT500 Break-In Period

Boss2013

Threads
Reaction score
Thank you everyone for your thoughts and comments.

This is better info than I found anywhere online.

I had pictured spending my first 1000 miles just waiting for the right time to open it up. Now I definitely have a better idea of what the break-in period is supposed to be.

Looking forward to getting the beast and putting some miles on her. Unfortunately I live in Cleveland, so the days are quickly becoming limited.

I still don’t have a build date or VIN (confirmed DORA though) so at this rate I’m guessing March.
My opinion, and you know how those go, is that there is no need for a "break-in' period for the engine. I've never found any evidence of detrimental effects (increased oil consumption, noise, breakage, etc.) from driving the car the way it was engineered for from the get go. I also don't understand the purpose of "oil analysis" as a means of trying to prevent engine damage or predicting wear on components. I can't imagine any major brand synthetic oil seeing any huge difference in engine protection. I drove my 2016 R spiritedly from day one, even had it on the track and NCM with 700 miles on the odometer. I put 16,000 daily driving miles plus three track events on that car with no noticeable issues when I sold it about 18 months later. Much ado over nothing, IMO, other than manufacturer CYA.
Sponsored

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Bed the brakes immediately, heat everything up thoroughly, and let it eat. Lots of on/off throttle and speed changes.

I have a 24-mile "loop" around a local lake that I used for break-ins when I did engine builds on the side. Lots of hills and curves in one long section, which allowed for good loading and throttle transitions. The initial four miles is straight, and when I got my '15 I bedded the brakes on that stretch until they smoked and stunk, and proceeded from there. I made the loop twice, and if I remember right it got bounced off the limiter the first time around 50 miles.

Hasn't had an issue and it doesn't use a drop of oil. Never baby a new engine.

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2022 F150 PowerBoost
Vehicle Showcase
What do us guys who are getting the car in the middle of the winter, who can not drive it due to temp and snow do?

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
What do us guys who are getting the car in the middle of the winter, who can not drive it due to temp and snow do?
Wait until you can.

I ordered my '15 on 1/2/2015, and it was completely possible that I'd take delivery in February or March when Minnesota is at its worst. If that had happened, I was planning on only running it long enough to get it on and off a trailer and into my shop and waiting for spring. As it turned out, the car didn't land until into April, so I got dropped off at the dealer, gingerly drove it the ~10 miles to my "test loop" and let the fun begin. It was cool that day but the roads were bone dry....

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Wait until you can.

I ordered my '15 on 1/2/2015, and it was completely possible that I'd take delivery in February or March when Minnesota is the worst. If that had happened, I was planning on only running it long enough to get it on and off a trailer and into my shop and waiting for spring. As it turned out, the car didn't land until into April, so I got dropped off at the dealer, gingerly drove it the ~10 miles to my "test loop" and let the fun begin. It was cool that day but the roads were bone dry....
OK, so starting it to get it on off trailer a couple of times, and to drop off at paint protection film shop, and so on will not affect anything until I can get on the streets?

Sponsored

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Sit in the garage, stare at the car, and do this?

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
OK, so starting it to get it on off trailer a couple of times, and to drop off at paint protection film shop, and so on will not affect anything until I can get on the streets?
I wouldn't worry about it. They get moved around at the holding lot at the factory anyway, not to mention on and off trains and trailers on the way to the dealer.

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

V00D00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500
My opinion, and you know how those go, is that there is no need for a "break-in' period for the engine. I've never found any evidence of detrimental effects (increased oil consumption, noise, breakage, etc.) from driving the car the way it was engineered for from the get go. I also don't understand the purpose of "oil analysis" as a means of trying to prevent engine damage or predicting wear on components. I can't imagine any major brand synthetic oil seeing any huge difference in engine protection. I drove my 2016 R spiritedly from day one, even had it on the track and NCM with 700 miles on the odometer. I put 16,000 daily driving miles plus three track events on that car with no noticeable issues when I sold it about 18 months later. Much ado over nothing, IMO, other than manufacturer CYA.
Blackstone oil analysis has proven beneficial on lots of BMW motors. the rod bearing issue was why they tracked it. higher levels of materials used on the bearings, lets one know if everything looks good, or may have an issue coming sooner rather than later

geoking

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
31,34,48 and 2019 Fords + a 58& 66 Chevy trucks
Blackstone oil analysis has proven beneficial on lots of BMW motors. the rod bearing issue was why they tracked it. higher levels of materials used on the bearings, lets one know if everything looks good, or may have an issue coming sooner rather than later

https://www.blackstone-labs.com

Sponsored

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
That's pretty slick actually
Jaime: Maybe too slick. If it was legit, the boy did an amazing job BUT, I'm not convinced. It just sounded TOO much like a Lambo engine. Piece of cake to learn the sequence and mimic it with your mouth.

Then again, I'm in charge of cynicism at Casa KB. <laughing>

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
BTW...here's the pertinent paragraph from the 500 Supplemental Manual:

BREAKING-IN

Your vehicle requires a break-in period.
Drive your new vehicle at least 100 mi
(160 km) before performing extended wide
open throttle maneuvers and at least
1,000 mi (1,600 km) before operating your
vehicle at high speeds or track conditions.
Note: Vary your speed frequently in order
to give the moving parts a chance to break
in.
Sounds just like the GT350 break in to me

jwhite

jwhite
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J. Brad
Vehicle(s)
15 Gt PP Roush SC'ed/16 GT 350 TrackPack 1970 Mach1
I’m going to break engine in same as my 16’ 350. I took it on many trips on the toll road from south Bend to Chicago, changing gears frequently, Doing some decent pulls with various speeds of 60-90. My 350 hasn’t given me one bit of issues. I’m hoping to take this 500 on a 1300 mile drive to south Florida in December using the same technique on interstate 65 and 75. I’ll probably swing into Coconut Point Ford for its first oil change figuring the car will have around 1500 miles by then. Then to normal service after.
Sponsored