AIM Solo2 DL Q&A

Ltsrock

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350r Lightning Blue
I'd like to start a AIM Solo2 DL thread to share tips/tricks and thoughts.
I know that I could use the help and insight of other peoples experience/knowledge with this powerful, yet complicated device and related software. So please chime in if you want to share.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Ltsrock

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
My story is below but I preface it to say that for me the instructions available via AIM or anything online left me wanting. I did not find any forums or discussion groups about setup/tips/tricks. Maybe this will help someone else get an easier start

I recently bought a new SOLO2 DL. After plugging in the OBDII connector and Solo2 DL, my car would not start or even attempt to start, the dash lights would come on but no crank, nothing, the Solo2 DL is not plug n play.

I borrowed an AIM OBDII cable/connecter from a friend at the track, plugged it into my car and Solo2 DL. My device seemed to work ok, at least the car started and I could see lap times during my weekend. The details of my friends "AIM" device was that his is not a Solo2 DL, his is an older Solo DL, (not a Solo2). His cable uses the other connector (the Solo2 has two cable connectors with different pin-outs), it turns out that I was plugged into the more generic connection (5 pin vs 7), so I did not have any data from my cars ECU.

After some pain and suffering, I found that the Solo2 DL needs to be configured via the "Race studio3" software. The software is used to configure the Solo2 DL to communicate with the cars ECU (ECU protocol).

See the picture of the two different connectors/pin-outs
OBD2 cable pin diagram.PNG
image2.jpeg

Attachments

strengthrehab

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB Base GT with PP
My story is below but I preface it to say that for me the instructions available via AIM or anything online left me wanting. I did not find any forums or discussion groups about setup/tips/tricks. Maybe this will help someone else get an easier start

I recently bought a new SOLO2 DL. After plugging in the OBDII connector and Solo2 DL, my car would not start or even attempt to start, the dash lights would come on but no crank, nothing, the Solo2 DL is not plug n play.

I borrowed an AIM OBDII cable/connecter from a friend at the track, plugged it into my car and Solo2 DL. My device seemed to work ok, at least the car started and I could see lap times during my weekend. The details of my friends "AIM" device was that his is not a Solo2 DL, his is an older Solo DL, (not a Solo2). His cable uses the other connector (the Solo2 has two cable connectors with different pin-outs), it turns out that I was plugged into the more generic connection (5 pin vs 7), so I did not have any data from my cars ECU.

After some pain and suffering, I found that the Solo2 DL needs to be configured via the "Race studio3" software. The software is used to configure the Solo2 DL to communicate with the cars ECU (ECU protocol).

See the picture of the two different connectors/pin-outs
OBD2 cable pin diagram.PNG
image2.jpeg
There are 2 connections on the bottom. The one is for the ECU cable, the other is to connect a smartycamHD to the Solo2DL.

Yes, RS3 controls all of the configuration.

There is an AiM user facebook group I strongly suggest people join.

It is a powerful tool. I even used mine for autocross over the weekend.

Hivel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
A527DFE5-4588-4FE1-8093-2A7C2A4A802A.png
The track overlay feature is ok. This is a lateral G plot. I prefer an aggregated G plot; but, don’t have one handy. I have lots to learn and currently working on turning in harder and earlier.
Cheers,

mikeD4V

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT

Sponsored

OP
OP

Ltsrock

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
It does seem like a lonely road for new AiM users. Videos from AiM: https://www.youtube.com/user/aimdata/videos and James Colburn: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_XdPWoHJPgPLjm7C5cKxXw helped me get mine functioning. Basically, select your ECU, the sensors you want logged, and load your tracks. Then you can configure the lights, auto start, etc. The capability is there but the learning curve seems steep and the RS3 user interface is lacking.
Thanks Mike,

I appreciate the youtube links, I'll take a look.
Now that winter is here, my Mustang is garaged and not likely to see the road until springtime. Maybe I'll try the SOLO2 DL in my daily driver, a VW Jetta

Strength, thank you for your suggestion but I don't/won't use "Facebook". Hopefully the information is available elsewhere.

767.mph

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.stromspeed.com
First Name
Marcus
Vehicle(s)
1965 FFR Cobra, ‘21 Mustang Mach-1
Has anyone gotten their Solo2-DL to ECU communicate with their Mach-1?
No joy so far but used to work on my ‘19 GT-PP2.
Sponsored