Sponsored

Need help with a Simple question about charging the battery

Ghostrealm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Triple Yellow Mustang Convertible Fully Loaded with GT body package, 2002,Black WS6 Trans am Ram Air (winter car) First car 2000 Laser Red Mustang GT
Hi guys,

Winter and I want to charge my Mustang while its in the garage. I hooked up the car charger as below and the next day and it appears it didn't charge at all. Is the way I am hooking it up wrong in the picture I am attaching?
It comes with an eyelet adapter too so you don't have to use the clamps. I am just not sure from the picture below of where to hook the eyelet on the red terminal. when you pull the boot back there is no spot to attach an eyelet .the only screw is to the screw that holds the battery cable in place. Any idea what I could be doing wrong for it not to charge? would it charge better if it was connected with the eyelet adapter?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ghostrealm

Ghostrealm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Triple Yellow Mustang Convertible Fully Loaded with GT body package, 2002,Black WS6 Trans am Ram Air (winter car) First car 2000 Laser Red Mustang GT
Thanks for the reply!

I'm trying to see where you installed the eyelet. Is it the far left screw that holds the clamp in place? Is that ok to put it there? Do you get a solid connection when charging?

What socket will remove that screw?

Can you circle on your picture where you installed the eyelet. also did you install it under the washer?

Thanks!

OP
OP
Ghostrealm

Ghostrealm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks you very much!
i will try this.

What are your thoughts about connecting to the auxiliary port inside your car I just saw this that there is an option for an adapter for this charger as long as the car supports something called Canbus. Do our cars support Canbus? It is a new feature that allows you to charge the battery through the Auxiliary or cigar lighter port. Would it work if the car is off?

This is the adapter for the charger to plug into the aux port.

https://no.co/gc003

Scott

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1, 2008 Mustang GT/CS, 1970 Boss 302
Vehicle Showcase
Very first mod on my car when I took delivery Nov 30th last year was a trickle charger for those cold winter nights in my FEEEZING garage.

Battery Tender Quick Disconnect fused cables from Amazon. Never ever connect anything that is not fused to the battery or you are courting a potential fire disaster.

75seZfc.jpg

Rather than connecting directly to the battery I connected the positive lead to the middle connector on the fuse box at the main power feed from the battery. Negative was attached to a ground on the shock tower.

5UDwBYl.jpg

A couple cable ties and ready to charge.

9PGaoJ8.jpg

OP
OP
Ghostrealm

Ghostrealm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks so much guys!

May I ask for sure there will be a connection when placed like this? I ask because it looks like under the nut it appears like plastic? under these nuts for sure it will charge from those locations? On the v6 it looks identical to this as well so if it is working for your GT I'm sure it will work for the 3.7?
Also is there a way to take the nuts and accessory harness off to install the eyelets without losing complete power and losing the car settings ie clock radio etc?

img_6469-r-720-jpg.jpg

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
The black part of the battery terminal is anodized aluminum. There's no issue with putting the ring terminals under the 10mm nuts but it is a bit tricky to do it. The nuts have to come all the way off to put the ring terminals on and the nuts are a locking type. You won't be able to hold the bolt in the groove to stop it from turning around as you turn the nut over the last few threads as the locking nut binds up.

So, back off the nut enough to lift the battery connection off the battery post. Then you can hold the whole thing in your hand while you loosen the nut with a ratchet in your other hand. Hold the bolt in the slot so it doesn't turn around. Once the nut is near the end of the bolt it will get a little harder to turn. Keep going but be very careful you don't drop that little sucker as you remove it. (Place a towel around the battery area to prevent dropping the nut just in case) I held the bolt in place to keep the battery clamp all together. Put your ring terminal over the bolt and re-install the nut while holding the bolt in the slot. Just before you tighten it, put the battery cable on the post and tighten it all up so the clamp won't move. For the + terminal you will need to bend the ring terminal down so it fit's under the rubber boot. You can bunch the excess wire inside the battery compartment (just like Bill did) and secure with a wire-tie. Route the wire so the plug is in a convenient, dry location, away from moving parts and secure everything with more wire-ties. Check that you have black on black and red on red, then plug in your battery tender in and check the charging indicators on the charger.
Sponsored