I just blew my stock 2017 GT350R motor with 4700 miles

OP
OP

hiiammarcin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
This. If you are worried so much about Vin to Vin. Why on earth are you even driving the car? You bought it, it's a great drive. Take that new engine and enjoy the upgrade you're going to get.

I am so pissed tho. The Romeo plant is set to be closed by Ford. Out of nowhere.
This. If you are worried so much about Vin to Vin. Why on earth are you even driving the car? You bought it, it's a great drive. Take that new engine and enjoy the upgrade you're going to get.

I am so pissed tho. The Romeo plant is set to be closed by Ford. Out of nowhere.
I don’t really care, I was trying to tease out if this is something that’s sought after in this community.
Sponsored

thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 SS1LE (sold 18 GT350)
Does anyone even check for matching numbers on these prior to purchase?
I would guess a small minority. I mean if you mothballed the thing brand new in pristine condition and tried to sell it in 30-40 years than yeah. Numbers matching might matter. If you just drive the car and plan on trading/selling it down the road then maybe someone will see the Carfax and ding you but who knows.

Ixse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt350
For those of you that say you’d rather buy car w replaced motor, if you have a slightest idea of ford dealershit workmanship on warranty repairs, you wouldn’t be saying that.
Nobody wants to buy a used high perf car that show “engine replacement” on a carfax. Doesn’t matter if small number of consumers know the motor may be “gen2”. You are still loosing significant population pool. For most, its just a sports car that may have been abused. Sure the owner can say all the right things, but its just he says she says.
For sure the car looses significant value. Try carmax after engine replacement. I bet they’ll offer some ridiculus lowball offer.

JR369

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 Iconic
Ladies and Gents,

I know the forum has been recently filled with stories like mine, but I wanted get your opinion on my motor situation. Saturday night after I did a second gear pull to ~6-7K RPMs I started to hear a faint knocking noise, at first it sounded like something was stuck between the wheel and caliper. After driving approximately one mile or so it progressively got louder and louder. I pulled over, and realized I think I just spun a bearing, and it most likely getting chewed it in the crank case like a blender. I drove it slowly while keeping the RPMs under 3K and dropped it off at the dealer. I check my oil regularly and my burn rate was ~1.5qt. ever 2000 miles. I keep everything under 4K until the oil temp reaches 170-180F, and I don't usually drive it hard, its more babied than anything. Never seen any track time either.

Here is a video of what the motor sounds like.

Went back to the dealer today, and talked with the service manager. He started the car and thinks its a bearing also. They will get it on the rack something sometime today, and start a case with Ford for a new motor. For now, looks like I'll be getting a 2019 motor.

For those who have been through this experience, what are some good questions to ask? What have you learned or wish you knew before going through this? I read the 2019 updates, but I also saw some guys had already their 2019 motors replaced as well. I know 2019's haven't been around long enough, but do we know what gen 2 motors have resolved gen 1 flaws? How does mismatching motor VIN# effect resale? (this will probably vary from person to person) I know having a new motor replaced has a lot of positives but it can also be a drawback when it comes to selling the car.
Man that sucks. But congrats on the new 19 R motor you're gonna get. Wondering if the premature shearing of the Motorcraft 5-50 has anything to do with these types of failures?

SVTinAR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350, 2003 Lightning & ERA FE Cobra
I believe they have to warranty the car for powertrain for 50k miles and what 6 yrs? If they have to replace the motor at least the balance of the remaining coverage has to stay in effect. Not sure if they will warranty a new motor for a longer period/greater miles - they might if you ask them.

Sponsored

OP
OP

hiiammarcin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Everything has an expi
Why would you think your new engine won't come with a warranty? My original engine was replaced at 8,400 miles, and the new engine is still covered under the factory warranty.

I don't pay much attention to how the the engine replacement will effect value, I bought the car to drive, not sit in the garage to collect dust. Personally, having the replacement engine gives me peace of mind, so much so that I'm planning a couple of long road trips and don't feel like I have to pack a case of oil in the trunk.
Why would you think your new engine won't come with a warranty? My original engine was replaced at 8,400 miles, and the new engine is still covered under the factory warranty.

I don't pay much attention to how the the engine replacement will effect value, I bought the car to drive, not sit in the garage to collect dust. Personally, having the replacement engine gives me peace of mind, so much so that I'm planning a couple of long road trips and don't feel like I have to pack a case of oil in the trunk.
r
I believe they have to warranty the car for powertrain for 50k miles and what 6 yrs? If they have to replace the motor at least the balance of the remaining coverage has to stay in effect. Not sure if they will warranty a new motor for a longer period/greater miles - they might if you ask them.
That's a good point, from what I've been reading no one has mentioned extended warranty on their replacement motors but I will ask.

OP
OP

hiiammarcin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Man that sucks. But congrats on the new 19 R motor you're gonna get. Wondering if the premature shearing of the Motorcraft 5-50 has anything to do with these types of failures?
Yeah, I'd be curious if Amsoil has helped the oil burn issues, this topic is also all over the place as well.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
In all my Blackstone oil samples (to include many 3 day track weekends) I am yet to receive an oil report that my motor motorcraft 5w50 had any shearing whatsoever. Just FYI, I do not intend to start an oil debate.

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
In all my Blackstone oil samples (to include many 3 day track weekends) I am yet to receive an oil report that my motor motorcraft 5w50 had any shearing whatsoever. Just FYI, I do not intend to start an oil debate.
My car "felt" better with motorcraft than amsoil.

Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
My car "felt" better with motorcraft than amsoil.
Interesting statement. Again, not trying to start an oil discussion, but 3 days of heavy track use (4 30min sessions a day for 3 days) yielded zero shear. Repeat over years, same result.

The topic is a blown engine. It had nothing to do with the brand of oil.

jvandy50

H3249
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, 18 ZL1-1LE
For those of you that say you’d rather buy car w replaced motor, if you have a slightest idea of ford dealershit workmanship on warranty repairs, you wouldn’t be saying that.
Nobody wants to buy a used high perf car that show “engine replacement” on a carfax. Doesn’t matter if small number of consumers know the motor may be “gen2”. You are still loosing significant population pool. For most, its just a sports car that may have been abused. Sure the owner can say all the right things, but its just he says she says.
For sure the car looses significant value. Try carmax after engine replacement. I bet they’ll offer some ridiculus lowball offer.
This was my experience. Of course any of us would rather give the gen2 a chance, but if you’re here and are even armed with that knowledge you likely already have a car.

OP, if you’re gonna keep it and drive it I wouldn’t worry about it and enjoy your new heart. BUT, if you’re even thinking about selling it right after this, it will deplete you’re buyer pool and raise a red flag to many of them. I’d venture to guess most of us here don’t trust the dealer for much, this job is kinda important.

That said, on the 3rd attempt my dealer finally got the motor in better than they ever got the front splitter lol.

JR369

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 Iconic
That great to know. It's only been Motorcraft for me in my R. I was kind of "fishing" with my post.

OP
OP

hiiammarcin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
This was my experience. Of course any of us would rather give the gen2 a chance, but if you’re here and are even armed with that knowledge you likely already have a car.

OP, if you’re gonna keep it and drive it I wouldn’t worry about it and enjoy your new heart. BUT, if you’re even thinking about selling it right after this, it will deplete you’re buyer pool and raise a red flag to many of them. I’d venture to guess most of us here don’t trust the dealer for much, this job is kinda important.

That said, on the 3rd attempt my dealer finally got the motor in better than they ever got the front splitter lol.
Can you elaborate and summarize your dealers attempts on the install. I'm trying to build an arsenal of knowledge to have an discussion with the tech and service manager before the they begin the install to mitigate any potential damage or just to set clear expectations.
Sponsored