Sponsored

Doors fill with water

2018Creamsicle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Orange Fury GT Premium Vert
Do anybody else’s doors fill with water? Had the 2018 vert parked outside for a week while doing projects in the garage. It rained for 3 days straight last week but hasn’t rained in a few days. Yesterday I noticed condensation all over the inside of the glass, so I pulled the car in the garage to investigate. As soon as I started moving, I heard large quantities of water sloshing. I pulled all the carpets up, looked in the trunk, etc and couldn’t find any sign of water. The door sills were soaked though. Since it hasn’t rained the only place the water could have come from is inside the doors. The car was parked on a slight incline the entire time it was outside.

I’m just wondering if this is normal in the S550s or if I have plugged up door drains.
Sponsored

trojannemo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Yemil
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Convertible
Hey there. I've had two 2017 convertibles. Both leaked through the roof headliner on to the door sills/next to the seats. But even in torrential downpours - we're talking about droplets. I have never had standing water, much less amounts that would "slosh" around like if you emptied a bucket of water into the car. That is definitely not normal. Take it to the dealer. They can inspect for leaks and replace seals accordingly. They are doing that now on my GT. They did that on the EB last year.

88lx50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT convertible 6 speed
I would check the drains. They are probably clogged.

OP
OP

2018Creamsicle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Orange Fury GT Premium Vert
I would check the drains. They are probably clogged.
So where are these drains? I’ve read about clogged drains in a dozen threads, and nobody says where they are in any one them. Lol

I never did figure out where the sloshing water exactly was, but in our old s197, the doors would fill up with water when the tiny drain holes plugged up, so I removed the rubber plug in the door bottom, and that seemed to solve it. I found the same kind of plugs in the S550, so I removed them to be safe. I also noticed the stickers in the door jambs were peeling off, so I ordered rubber plugs for the holes.

Really Ford? A cheap plastic sticker is all that keeps water from pouring in a 3/4” hole in a 55k car?

Tim_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lightning blue S550 Coyote convertible
So where are these drains? I’ve read about clogged drains in a dozen threads, and nobody says where they are in any one them. Lol

I never did figure out where the sloshing water exactly was, but in our old s197, the doors would fill up with water when the tiny drain holes plugged up, so I removed the rubber plug in the door bottom, and that seemed to solve it. I found the same kind of plugs in the S550, so I removed them to be safe. I also noticed the stickers in the door jambs were peeling off, so I ordered rubber plugs for the holes.

Really Ford? A cheap plastic sticker is all that keeps water from pouring in a 3/4” hole in a 55k car?
We really could do with a dedicated thread with good pictures on all the drain holes on the convertible. A guide on how to maintain them would also be good.

Sponsored

rlyons13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Convertible w/ 50th Anniversary Pack
It's on the underside of your door. Take a look
Not on my 2015 convertible, but on my 2017 Focus ST. Found clear plastic stickers over the drain holes on the hatch. Immediately checked all the door drainsd on the Focus and Mustang. These were it. Worth a check though.

ModularKid21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘15 GT
Vehicle Showcase
I have a ‘15 coupe car and I have water in the doors as well as condensation on the body (to the left of the door sills) after rain. My car is parked outside all the time but under a cover 95% of the time. My guess is that the water gets by the window seals on the doors and ends up in the bottom of the doors. If you get down and look under the doors, there are little holes where the water can escape through. That would explain why you only have water in the doors and no where else. I just open the doors and let the water drain out, the condensation always dries up soon there after. I’ve never had so much water in there that it sloshed around upon moving the vehicle. But look at it this way, if it rained that hard for that long and all you have is water in the doors, your car is pretty water tight for a convertible!
Sponsored