Sponsored

I just blew my stock 2017 GT350R motor with 4700 miles

hiiammarcin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Ladies and Gents,

I know the forum has been recently filled with stories like mine, but I wanted get your opinion on my motor situation. Saturday night after I did a second gear pull to ~6-7K RPMs I started to hear a faint knocking noise, at first it sounded like something was stuck between the wheel and caliper. After driving approximately one mile or so it progressively got louder and louder. I pulled over, and realized I think I just spun a bearing, and it most likely getting chewed it in the crank case like a blender. I drove it slowly while keeping the RPMs under 3K and dropped it off at the dealer. I check my oil regularly and my burn rate was ~1.5qt. ever 2000 miles. I keep everything under 4K until the oil temp reaches 170-180F, and I don't usually drive it hard, its more babied than anything. Never seen any track time either.

Here is a video of what the motor sounds like.

Went back to the dealer today, and talked with the service manager. He started the car and thinks its a bearing also. They will get it on the rack something sometime today, and start a case with Ford for a new motor. For now, looks like I'll be getting a 2019 motor.

For those who have been through this experience, what are some good questions to ask? What have you learned or wish you knew before going through this? I read the 2019 updates, but I also saw some guys had already their 2019 motors replaced as well. I know 2019's haven't been around long enough, but do we know what gen 2 motors have resolved gen 1 flaws? How does mismatching motor VIN# effect resale? (this will probably vary from person to person) I know having a new motor replaced has a lot of positives but it can also be a drawback when it comes to selling the car.
Sponsored

Last edited:

orangegrower

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 - 2019 Aston Martin Vantage - 2019 Ranger Lariat
I know I will be in the minority with my thoughts on value but here is my worthless two cents. The thoughts of the car being worth less with a replacement engine is just nuts to me. Everybody is treating these cars like they are 60's Shelby cars. If I were in the market for a used GT350 I would more likely buy one with a 2019 replacement engine than the original.

Trj3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350R
Sounds like a stroke of luck to me. I would love to buy one of the earlier cars and have that happen so that I could get the new engine. You’ll be good to go now

thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 SS1LE (sold 18 GT350)
Everyone says the 2019+ cars have fixed the issue, but I read there were 3 reports of 2019 engines having issues/replacement.

It seems to me that many people don't really have issues right away with engines going out and it can take several years and even up to 20K+ miles. So do we really know 2019's have resolved this? And let's be clear no engine will never be 100% reliable with no issues, and some people either don't properly maintain the engine or they do thinks like modify and add more power which can cause stress, etc. So I am just talking stock here.

I am on the fence with buying a 2017-2018 low mileage car vs a new 2019 because everyone keeps telling me the 2019 motors have resolved the past problems with oil consumption and people blowing them up. Perhaps oil consumption is better but I am not sold on the engine issues being resolved.

Sponsored

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
At this point we do not know if there is a issue with the engines or poor assembly. If they can not get body panels right I am guessing there are some pretty big variances on the engines.

As for value I dont think it will matter unless you keep the car a very long time.

Last edited:

DCShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lighting Blue and 2017 Ducati 1299S
I don’t the 19 motor has had oil consumption issues yet. The noted 19 motor failures have been other items, like yours.

EuroKllr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
For those who have been through this experience, what are some good questions to ask? What have you learned or wish you knew before going through this?
Do you have a good relationship with your dealer? Do you trust them to process your warranty claim timely? Have you met the head mechanic that will be doing the engine swap? If so, then you're probably in good hands, but just know not all dealerships are equal. If you suspect that something is not right then I would recommend finding another dealer, or calling Ford directly and starting a warranty claim.

OP
OP

hiiammarcin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Do you have a good relationship with your dealer? Do you trust them to process your warranty claim timely? Have you met the head mechanic that will be doing the engine swap? If so, then you're probably in good hands, but just know not all dealerships are equal. If you suspect that something is not right then I would recommend finding another dealer, or calling Ford directly and starting a warranty claim.
I do, and made a point to do my due diligence to find the best dealer around me. I guess this entire experience got me bit rattled, and I am concerned this may repeat itself with the gen 2 motor but without warranty. I'll have think bit more and weigh my options if keeping the car and potentially running into other issues has more utility than just selling the car with a new motor. Makes the decision bit more difficult as its really hit or miss with these motors, some guys blow them at 200 miles and some have 30K miles and no issues. I wish there was more evidence or data which point out that gen 2 don't "as much" issues, then I think my decision may be easier to make.

key01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 now gone to a great home.
Surely there has to be a warranty on the replacement motor. No?

Sponsored

cocopanda

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J
Vehicle(s)
2019 Premium GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
I know I will be in the minority with my thoughts on value but here is my worthless two cents. The thoughts of the car being worth less with a replacement engine is just nuts to me. Everybody is treating these cars like they are 60's Shelby cars. If I were in the market for a used GT350 I would more likely buy one with a 2019 replacement engine than the original.
This. If you are worried so much about Vin to Vin. Why on earth are you even driving the car? You bought it, it's a great drive. Take that new engine and enjoy the upgrade you're going to get.

I am so pissed tho. The Romeo plant is set to be closed by Ford. Out of nowhere.

EuroKllr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
I am concerned this may repeat itself with the gen 2 motor but without warranty.
Why would you think your new engine won't come with a warranty? My original engine was replaced at 8,400 miles, and the new engine is still covered under the factory warranty.

I don't pay much attention to how the the engine replacement will effect value, I bought the car to drive, not sit in the garage to collect dust. Personally, having the replacement engine gives me peace of mind, so much so that I'm planning a couple of long road trips and don't feel like I have to pack a case of oil in the trunk.
Sponsored