Christian
Vehicle(s)
GT auto

Supersolo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
I don't expect Ford to replace earlier keyless, err, keys.

It's a next generation of the tech, thing.

I now anticipate conflicting reports about whether the new keys are compatible with earlier gen cars.

However, if movement is the trigger for sleep & awake modes, I'm not sure how useful that would be for me.

When I leave my car, I place the key in an RF blocking pouch from Ford.
It's a faff, but then any security proceedure can seem like a faff, in general.

OP
OP
christianUK

christianUK

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Vehicle(s)
GT auto
I've just started to train myself to use an RF bag, but I'm lazy. The irony of needing to use something that makes life more difficult which was supposed to make it easier isn't lost on me. What was wrong with a normal old-fashioned key...

Adam83

Yorkshireman.
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
Oxford White 2017 GT
It’s not a free replacement, the keys just have that feature now on new Focus and Fiestas from a certain build date.

So don’t try popping in the dealer and asking for a free replacement key if that’s what you meant?

Nutkin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
The keys don't work either, not even worth the money swapping them, Stick your keys in a metal tin by the door.

Sponsored

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Race Red Manual
I've just started to train myself to use an RF bag, but I'm lazy. The irony of needing to use something that makes life more difficult which was supposed to make it easier isn't lost on me. What was wrong with a normal old-fashioned key...
Exactly. It's gimmicks to help the marketing team.

twiggy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
I only relax when both keys are in my pouch and I try opening the door handle with the pouch in my other hand.

TimG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT manual
As Christian said a "convenience" feature is not convenient if it makes your car easier to steal & you have to faff with signal blocking pouches. I always keep my car keys in a lidded tin at home & have had the keyless entry feature on my 2016 car disabled by the dealer.

Andy22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 race red gt
As Christian said a "convenience" feature is not convenient if it makes your car easier to steal & you have to faff with signal blocking pouches. I always keep my car keys in a lidded tin at home & have had the keyless entry feature on my 2016 car disabled by the dealer.
And anyone with 2018 on, the keyless entry can be disabled with dash settings

SNiem

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
SJN
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Is anyone aware of a fob that will go into "sleep" mode after so many second of being idle? This is to prevent theft. They are doing this in the UK, how about the US?

Sponsored

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
When I bought mine (2020) I asked and the the dealer was unsure if the Mustang fob did that - they could confirm on other models e.g. the fiesta, but they couldn't 100% confirm for the mustang.

Being paranoid, that doesn't help if you are walking around with it in your pocket though :frown:

WD :like:

raptor17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Manual 2017
faraday pouch all the way. Works perfectly but aye what was wrong with a proper retracting key / fob like for example the Kia's. Does what it says on the tin.

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Works perfectly but aye what was wrong with a proper retracting key
Nothing wrong per se, but it would be inconvenient to use with a start button. Because once you got in the car you'd have to do something with it, to put it somewhere. And since there's no dedicated place for it, you'd have to throw it into one of the cup holders and then listen to it rattle for the entire journey. And then you'd get off the car, try to lock the doors, and realize you forgot the key - of course you did. Go back and retrieve it.
I'd love a classic key with a classic ignition barrel. But a classic key with a start button... not so much.

Now, why they insist on equipping virtually all new cars with a start button instead of a barrel... is a different story. Part of it, I guess, may have to do with safety - avoiding injury to your knee in a crash. Part of it may have to do with protecting the engine and starter - having a computer decide how long to turn the engine instead of relying on your common sense. Or maybe to make the engine more difficult to turn off at speed - pressing the button will have no effect, while turning a key would. I wouldn't be surprised if the button earned them a few NCAP points on these (admittedly shallow) grounds. Who knows...

Last edited:

raptor17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Manual 2017
Nothing wrong per se, but it would be inconvenient to use with a start button. Because once you got in the car you'd have to do something with it, to put it somewhere. And since there's no dedicated place for it, you'd have to throw it into one of the cup holders and then listen to it rattle for the entire journey. And then you'd get off the car, try to lock the doors, and realize you forgot the key - of course you did. Go back and retrieve it.
I'd love a classic key with a classic ignition barrel. But a classic key with a start button... not so much.

Now, why they insist on equipping virtually all new cars with a start button instead of a barrel... is a different story. Part of it, I guess, may have to do with safety - avoiding injury to your knee in a crash. Part of it may have to do with protecting the engine and starter - having a computer decide how long to turn the engine instead of relying on your common sense. Or maybe to make the engine more difficult to turn off at speed - pressing the button will have no effect, while turning a key would. I wouldn't be surprised if the button earned them a few NCAP points on these (admittedly shallow) grounds. Who knows...
start button is ok but wouldn't make me buy or not buy a car based on that. IIRC Hondas had an awareness whereby if you stabbed the Start / Stop Button 5 times in a very short space of time, it shut down the engine. Toyota's I think you pushed and held the Start/Stop button for a few seconds (think back the stuck throttle pedal issues they had). Something I might try on an open and very quiet road. I had the throttle stick open on a car before luckily while accelerating down a motorway sliproad, had to shut the engine off and pull to emergency area.

Re barrel lock, Saabs had them down by the handbrake so if that hit you then you had a lot of other problems happening same time lol. Personally I'd be happy with the old barrel lock. Seems simpler