Sponsored

Wheel spacers advice

Interceptor

Daily Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 California Special A10
Not happy with the stock California Special set up, trying to figure out the look I want and how to get it.
I installed 3/8" spacers all around and it helped. I feel like it needs atleast to double to 7/8" or 1" spacers.
I purchased CNC spacers for a 2010 mustang and had issues with wheel studs hitting back of wheel. So wasn't happy about that.

Suggestions on spacers I can buy that are of high quality and no issues?
I want to bolt on and forget. Also is this not a good idea to go 1" spacer?
I want wheel and tire inside fender well at top
Sponsored

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Not a big fan of spacers, maybe they are better these days. And that is questionable at best, get the correct wheel. There is not a safe way to mickey mouse a modification such as this.

Good luck
Pep

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I strongly recommend that you do not use less than 20 mm wheel adapter spacers. Less, and you may end up like some of us have seen with a wheel flying off because the aluminum base material failed.

Do not use more than a 5 mm slip on spacer on stock studs. Thicker than that, and you will be below the minimum safe thread engagement. If you want to use thicker slip on spacers, you will need to also use extended studs.

OP
OP
Interceptor

Interceptor

Daily Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Feeling better about it now after watching the video

2morrow

DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP
For those who want a square set up, spacers are the way to go. I have FP hubs with extended lugs and a 25mm spacer (1") to
run 19x11 wheels with 305's at all 4 corners for my track set up. I got back to 10" fronts without spacers for my street set up.

If you go with a thick spacer get extended studs. If you want to "set it and forget it" I would suggest a good fitment and do
your research lol.

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Feeling better about it now after watching the video
I'll just say good luck if you were to use a say, 10 mm adapter (not slip on spacer, but one that has its own studs). There's just not enough material for that to be a safe option. Yes, adequately thick adapters are a safe option when spec'd and assembled correctly. The better option is wheels with proper offsets or extended studs and slip ons.

OP
OP
Interceptor

Interceptor

Daily Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My car is a California Special, and even tho the wheels are not loved by many I want to keep the California Special items. So different wheels are not an option.

I understand the styling of wheel with the California Special package. With the correct ride height, wheel spacing and tire sidewall, the wheels will look really good.

I think it would be silly to buy a California Special then change all the items that make the package what it is. This car is a retirement car, not a track car.

2morrow

DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP
My car is a California Special, and even tho the wheels are not loved by many I want to keep the California Special items. So different wheels are not an option.

I understand the styling of wheel with the California Special package. With the correct ride height, wheel spacing and tire sidewall, the wheels will look really good.

I think it would be silly to buy a California Special then change all the items that make the package what it is. This car is a retirement car, not a track car.
If it is a retirement car and you want to keep the wheels and "set it and forget it" I wouldn't screw around too much with the spacers.
The direction @bjstang went would probably be to most aggressive as far as spacers go that I (personally) would go.

My response was more for those that want to go more aggressive with their fitment.

Enjoy the ride and your retirement.

1 old racer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2018 Royal Crimson GT PP1 prem., and others
Vehicle Showcase
I used a 23mm on the rear. Which is the smallest width you and use without c boring the wheel or cutting the wheel studs. STDs 25mm on the front work great

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I used a 23mm on the rear. Which is the smallest width you and use without c boring the wheel or cutting the wheel studs. STDs 25mm on the front work great
True for the PP wheels. At least several of the non PP wheels can use down to 20 mm adapters.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Yeah, that's what I ran, a 23mm rear, 25mm front with OEM PP wheels. Specifically from Motorsports Tech, which I'd say is a very reliable source (vs. mysterious Ebay specials :D)

I did have the tiniest amount of contact by the studs in the rear, we just filed them a very tiny amount (I'm talking like < 0.5mm of material).
Sponsored