Sponsored

Heavy duty wheel/tire combo (will it rally?)

Justanotherdude

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Puck
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt pp
Hi everyone! Hoping someone can lend some kind advice for a crazy idea. I love my 2018 GT it’s a lot of fun to drive in it’s stock state. What I’ve got an issue with is that I live in the NYC area and as a result I’m constantly paranoid about the ultra thin. Michelin pilot sport tires I have on the car.

as someone who also loves the great outdoors, I love taking the car out in the snow, and wouldn’t mind mild trail driving and other things you’re not “supposed “ to do with a mustang. In addition to this I feel it’s be better to have a square setup that I can carry a spare for.

what I’m hoping to find out is how I can get the car to be more capable where the rubber meets the road. I’ve seen cars like the ones in the attached photos, what I’m having a hard time with is figuring out a wheel tire combo that fits a 2018 mustang gt that allows you to mount a light duty truck tire. This would also help a lot in the snow. This car is my daily driver. I’m wondering if it would require suspension or body changes? I’m not a total idiot but also not a mechanic, just looking for some help/advice. Thanks everyone!
7E59E623-B61B-45E3-866A-19E8E119E882.jpeg
9F3E88BD-1C8E-4E2B-A446-E5849CD19990.jpeg
Sponsored

kent0464

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kent
Vehicle(s)
1983 Ford Ranger, 1986 SVO Mustang, 2017 Mustang GT PP, 2017 F150 3.5 Eco
Vehicle Showcase
Check out the WRC (world rally competition) pages. You don’t want or need heavy steel wheels or truck type wheels, just tires that work well on asphalt, mud, and snow. WRC cars that have won championships, from Ford, Subaru, Mitsubishi, etc all run on aluminum wheels, using tires with a slightly larger sidewall and aggressive tread pattern.
Since you have a PP car the smallest diameter wheel you can use on the front will be an 18” that should allow you to run a a 45 or 50 series tire....you can get a little more lift with spring spacers but I don’t like those. I would probably opt for an inexpensive coil over set up that’ll allow you to raise or lower the car 1-3 inches, like Raceland or peddlers.
As to part of your original question square set up is easy you can do it from 8’ to 11” wide you need to figure out the tires you’d like to run and then decide on wheels.