Sponsored

O2 Sensor...Bosch or MC?

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
What are you guys going with on a Coyote when you change the O2 sensor...Bosch or Motorcraft? Bosch is listed/promoted as actual OE. Price is negligible; was leaning towards Motorcraft. Thoughts? Thanks guys.
Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Just an FYI:
Motorcraft doesn’t manufacture the parts, it’s a brand division of Ford. Those parts are contracted out to many suppliers, who manufacture the parts to Ford specs and Ford resells via the Motorcraft division, Ford Performance, Omnicraft, etc...

Directly from the BOSCH site:
Bosch invented the automotive oxygen sensor, which is also referred to as an O2 sensor or lambda sensor. Our Premium Oxygen Sensors are thimble and planar switching sensors that are designed to meet or exceed OE specification
:wink:

Hopefully that has helped with your decision.

OP
OP

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Yea, so that much I knew. Funny part about it though is the amount of forum threads (at least on my F150 group) where folks have had trouble with Bosch sensors and not with MC. Was hoping to see if that held true or not on this motor.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Yea, so that much I knew. Funny part about it though is the amount of forum threads (at least on my F150 group) where folks have had trouble with Bosch sensors and not with MC. Was hoping to see if that held true or not on this motor.

I’ve always purchased the BOSCH units over the years for all types of vehicles (BMW, Ford, Hyundai, Jeep, etc) never had an issue with functionality or longevity. If I were you, I wouldn’t hesitate buying a BOSCH O2 for an S550 at all.

When purchasing, you just have to make sure that the O2 you’re buying is for the correct application AND is correct on these (3) points:

1) connector (plug)
2) wire count (some O2’s can be 2, 3 or 4 wire)
3) upstream vs downstream:
US Is before catalytic converter; measures pollutants from engine and any raw fuel.
DS is after the cat; measures pollutants coming through the cat and out the tailpipe (and compares data to the US O2).

The common mistakes people make is thinking an O2 is an O2 and will replace a DS with an US (or a US with a DS) and that can surely cause issues. The other common mistake is buying a “universal” O2 where wire splicing is required and if the DIYer is not good with the swapping of connectors or splicing, then the O2 won’t function as designed.

—-

Are you getting an error code pointing to a faulty O2?

OP
OP

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Good info guys, thanks. Those are all the basics I’m aware of, but the refresher is good to think about. No error codes. Just bough a super clean one with 80K miles on it and just taking the opportunity to go through the car, get everything perfect, and make it my own. It’s not about the money, it’s about going over the car really good with my son for the first time.

No, no error codes, no drive ability issues. Just fun maintenance.

Chad1986

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
As a mechanic that works on Ford's all day I wouldn't worry about replacing them. If you do save yourself some headaches and buy from the dealer with the last 8 of your vin. Honestly though I rarley see 02 sensor failures. It is one of the most common misdiagnosed things that I see.
Sponsored