Centrifugal Trickery?

schmeky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Observed a posting on a well known name centrifugal blower being tuned on a 2018 GT. On the dyno, it recorded 517 rwhp, and was rated around 600.

When the 90 degree inlet elbow was removed, there was a jump of over 50 rwhp. I can see how the sharp 90 degree inlet elbow could really casue some air flow restriction at this point.

So all these dyno runs I have observed on a centrifugal making 600 - 700+, are these with or w/o the inlet elbow connected? Would love to hear from actual owners that have had their set up measured on the dyno.
Sponsored

iownedu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UR Gallardo, 2016 Whipple Mustang GT, CLA45 AMG
Observed a posting on a well known name centrifugal blower being tuned on a 2018 GT. On the dyno, it recorded 517 rwhp, and was rated around 600.

When the 90 degree inlet elbow was removed, there was a jump of over 50 rwhp. I can see how the sharp 90 degree inlet elbow could really casue some air flow restriction at this point.

So all these dyno runs I have observed on a centrifugal making 600 - 700+, are these with or w/o the inlet elbow connected? Would love to hear from actual owners that have had their set up measured on the dyno.
I do not have any results for you on this specifically, but I can confirm from liquid pipeline experience that two 45's reduce NPSH less than one 90 does.

However, here are some examples of friction loss below. (Resistance Coefficient K)

2" pipe fittings:
Standard 90 = .57 K
45 = .30 K
Long Radius 90 = .30 K

4" pipe fittings:
Standard 90 = .51 K
45 = .27 K
Long Radius 90 = .27 K

So the answer is that a long radius 90 is best, 2 45's second best, and regular tight 90 is worst for friction loss.

Last edited:

aleccesarenriquez

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alec
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
I think it just has to do with the filter

I have a filter directly mounted on to the blower and when removed it during a dyno session, I gained about 30 whp

SolarFlare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 CO GT
I’ve always dyno with inlet on on Procharger. Though I see that it’s very typical to see solid gains on Vortechs and Paxton’s by taking inlet off

JRodSan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grabber Blue GT

My car went almost 30hp more without the inlet tube. This is why everybody takes it off at the track and run a turbo guard or open.

Sponsored

Kona 18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang
Removing the inlet restriction will yield gains each and every time, you will actually see better if you not only remove the intake but also attach a velocity stack on the inlet

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
I think I have seen that the MAK Hurricane inlet has actually made more power than an open blower when diablomatt did some testing.
Sponsored