Sponsored

275/40/R19 winter tires??

medic5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
Hey all. Just picked up a staggered set of Pirelli sottozero 3 winter tires to fit my 2019 GT PP1, same dimensions as factory. Got ripped off on the wheels, they date back from 2016 and have approximately 7/32-8/32 tread on them throughout.

Don't need to hear the "why are driving your mustang in the winter!?" I do it on all my stangs as I lease them and don't care about rust..

My question is as follows: has anyone had experience with 275 width rear winter tires driving in the snow? I live in Ontario so we often get anywhere from 1-15 cm of snow. I had new Michelin xi3 winters 235/50/R18 squared setup on my last base GT and it handled incredibly during snow storms..

The Ford tech that put these staggered wheels on said I'm crazy to be driving with that wide tires in the snow, is this true?

Thanks.
Sponsored

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
I've been doing the snow thing for years on ContiDws 06. They are all.season and do well in light snow, forget about ice.
Given we don't get the snow in NYC that you get, but they are 275/40/19 square.
never had an issue, and I drive it as a daily.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Just fitted Yokohama W.drive in that size on all four corners. So far I like, but no snow yet.

LetItRide1978

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium
You should be fine. You’d probably have some issues driving if you had all seasons, but the winters should be just fine.

Sponsored

rickdrews5

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
18 GT Prem / PP
Last winter I picked up some wheels / tires on craigslist with fresh Michelin AS3+'s, 275's on the rear. Got caught in a few storms and while a bit treacherous the car got through just fine and where I live there are some serious hills. Have a Navigator I bought new 15 years ago and drive that when it gets really bad. I put these wheels tires back on the car a few weeks ago for the season and while we haven't had any winter weather yet confident I can get through - the only thing I will do differently this year is to add some weight in the trunk, bags of sand, cat litter, whatever to get the more weight over the rear. Keep in mind these are all seasons - you have winter tires so rest easy my friend and use rain / snow mode.

OP
OP
medic5.0

medic5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
Thank you guys. I appreciate the advice it has given me a bit more peace of mind!

Black19GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dustin
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Hey all. Just picked up a staggered set of Pirelli sottozero 3 winter tires to fit my 2019 GT PP1, same dimensions as factory. Got ripped off on the wheels, they date back from 2016 and have approximately 7/32-8/32 tread on them throughout.

Don't need to hear the "why are driving your mustang in the winter!?" I do it on all my stangs as I lease them and don't care about rust..

My question is as follows: has anyone had experience with 275 width rear winter tires driving in the snow? I live in Ontario so we often get anywhere from 1-15 cm of snow. I had new Michelin xi3 winters 235/50/R18 squared setup on my last base GT and it handled incredibly during snow storms..

The Ford tech that put these staggered wheels on said I'm crazy to be driving with that wide tires in the snow, is this true?

Thanks.
You will be fine! I’m in London, Ontario... ran the brand new Pirelli all seasons last year 255 40 19. Was shocked by how well they did throughout winter but this year I’m going with a dedicated winter set in same size. Undecided on brand yet.

Monopoly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2012 Civic Si
Drove a friends 255 wide 19s this week out for lunch today in Brampton. X-ice I3s on some subdivision streets that aren’t plowed yet. It was an EcoBoost.

Really impressed was expecting a lot less traction in the rear. Really gave me confidence for my base GT. Getting winters installed this weekend!

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Rather have 275 snow tires than 195 all seasons. You're fine. 2016 build is fine. I used the same set of snow tires 5 years in a row on my last Mustang. Zero issues ever.