Sponsored

Best place to buy wheels and tires, best wheels/tires

mustang123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
Hi peeps I just got a 2019 GT convertible that came with the stock 18 inch wheels and 235 50 18 tires. I really like the look of the stock 18 wheels but I also want wider tires which means I will probably have to get new wheels... I was thinking about getting 19 inch wheels with 255 45 19 tires.

I have never bought wheels before, what are your favorite places to get wheels and tires? What are you favorite wheels and tires?
Sponsored

Zissou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/CS
If you want 19's with 255 wide then the 255/40r19 is one of the OEM sizes, so one option would be buying used OEM wheels and tires off of a forum member here. Advantage there is you can usually score a deal. Disadvantage is that these are heavy, so a lot of private parties won't want to ship so you'll have to hunt for a local deal. I've also found used wheels on Facebook marketplace in the past for other cars I've owned.
There are many vendor sponsors on the site here that will sell you wheels or wheel & tire packages. LMR comes to mind as being one of the very popular ones.

I'm kind of weirdly passionate about tires and researching them. Online I've purchased from Tirerack and Amazon before with good luck. Amazon can be all over the place, but if you're lucky you can get a killer deal with free shipping.
For in store my favorite is Costco.

Zathras

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
If you just wanted a slight increase in tire width, you could probably go to a 245/45 or 245/50 tire on the stock 18x8 wheels, although it would slightly affect the speedometer reading.

Edit: at least one member here has done 255/45 tires on an 8" wide wheel, but based on what tire experts say, 255 is wider than you should go for that size wheel.

BleedNBlue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang GT Premium; 2018 Toyota 4Runner ORP; 2007 Sea Ray 270 SLX
Vehicle Showcase
My 2013 had OEM 19x9 Brembo wheels (forget the real name of the wheels). I mounted 275/40/19 square. Worked well and looked just as good. My vote is for 19x9s.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
As this is your first time, go to Tire Rack and start looking at wheels. They will let you see what they will look like on your car. Pick a price and color and go from there. Also punch in your zip code and see if they have installers in your area.
Screen Shot 2019-11-05 at 4.45.31 PM.png

Sponsored

OP
OP

mustang123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
Thank you all for the replies. So I went to Tirerack.com and picked out some wheels, 19x9 in the front and 19x9.5 in the back. I will mount a 255 40 19 in the front and 285 35 19 in the back. This is good because I think these two sizes both have very similar rev/mile compared to the stock 235 50 18 ones, (1.5% difference max so I don't have to mess with reprogramming speedometer). But I do have two questions:

- Since this will be staggered fitment, and the rev/mile is slightly different for front and rear tires, does the speedometer go off of front tires or rear ones? Will this affect ABS/traction control since the front and rear are spinning at slightly different rates? (Stock came with same size all around)
- If I used the fit tool online, filtered for 2019 mustang GT convertible, and I order straight from Tirerack as a wheel and tire package, do I have to worry about backspacing or the tires not fit for any reason?

Zissou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/CS
Thank you all for the replies. So I went to Tirerack.com and picked out some wheels, 19x9 in the front and 19x9.5 in the back. I will mount a 255 40 19 in the front and 285 35 19 in the back. This is good because I think these two sizes both have very similar rev/mile compared to the stock 235 50 18 ones, (1.5% difference max so I don't have to mess with reprogramming speedometer). But I do have two questions:

- Since this will be staggered fitment, and the rev/mile is slightly different for front and rear tires, does the speedometer go off of front tires or rear ones? Will this affect ABS/traction control since the front and rear are spinning at slightly different rates? (Stock came with same size all around)
- If I used the fit tool online, filtered for 2019 mustang GT convertible, and I order straight from Tirerack as a wheel and tire package, do I have to worry about backspacing or the tires not fit for any reason?
That fitment question depends on the offset of the wheel.

Those tire diameters are so close I would not expect issues. I believe those are oem tire sizes on the PP1 mustangs. Rear wheel seems a little narrow for a 285, though 9.5 might be exactly how wide the PP1 rears are.

I'm doing 285/35r19 on 19x10's all around on my mustang, buts for handling improvements.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Depends what brand wheels you want, we can help!

-Josh
Sorry Josh, my bad. :frown: OP, I should have really recommended that you hit up one of our forum sponsors. They are always there for us so we should be there for them. If you haven't already made your purchase give them a shout.

2morrow

DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP
Hi peeps I just got a 2019 GT convertible that came with the stock 18 inch wheels and 235 50 18 tires. I really like the look of the stock 18 wheels but I also want wider tires which means I will probably have to get new wheels... I was thinking about getting 19 inch wheels with 255 45 19 tires.

I have never bought wheels before, what are your favorite places to get wheels and tires? What are you favorite wheels and tires?
Theres a really great thread about aftermarket wheels here on the forum. It's one of the big threads. I would suggest checking that out. We'll see you in a week with a whole new batch of questions lol.

Tire Rack is by far one of the best resources for data on tires. Costco has good pricing if your looking at OEM sizing but worthless if you are going to a different size. WORTHLESS.

Sorry Josh, my bad. :frown: OP, I should have really recommended that you hit up one of our forum sponsors. They are always there for us so we should be there for them. If you haven't already made your purchase give them a shout.
Totally agree with that. I have had amazing luck with forum vendors.
Sponsored