Sponsored

Michelin 4S tips for cold temps?

SiddVicious

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1 Kona Blue
I have an 18 GT PP1 with M4S tires, this is the first time it's being driven in temps below 80 degrees. Since i live in Las Vegas it's not like I have to deal with snow, but since this is the first time the temps have dropped I can't help but notice if my tires haven't been warmed up they spin and slip for days even if i'm giving it a little more than 25% throttle off the line.

Should i try running a different PSI besides 32? Or is this normal for the M4S tires?
Sponsored

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
Just take it easy until they come up to temperature and pressure. I mean, you shouldn't just be coming out of the garage and spinning wheels. Just like the engine and transmission need time to come up to temp, the tires and brakes need it, as well. I wouldn't say 80 degrees is anywhere near cold temps, but I wouldn't drive on them under 40 degrees. For me, when it's colder than that (I live in SC, so it does get below 40 a few times per year), I'll just drive my Camaro, which has all-seasons.

JR

OP
OP
SiddVicious

SiddVicious

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah it does tend to get under 40 degrees in Las Vegas in the winter pretty often. I use the car as my daily so i might need to look at a different tire for the winter.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
If the car is parked inside overnight, what is the temp in your garage an hour before you leave? What are the prevailing temps when it's time to leave office? If both answers are above 40F then the tires will be fine. Of course being mindful that tires at sub-60F don't have the same mechanical grip as when it's hotter.

A $10 IR temperature gun will answer all your questions in 5 seconds.
If 32PSI is recommended at STP (70F) then the inflation at 50F will be around 29.

Phatpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
I live in Oklahoma and it gets cold here. I've had my '19 GT PP1 for a week and I have already started purchasing "winter" tires in expectation of the cold. I'm going with General G-max AS-05's in standard sizing. On the few occasions we get snow I'll just drive the wife's Corolla, lol. I decided a HPAS is a better use of funds than full winter tires since we only get the occasional snow that's here today, gone tomorrow.

Sponsored

2017GBGTPP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue Premium GTPP w/ Recaros
MP4S like to be at an operating pressure of 35-36 psi. They slide a lot if "underinflated", so I actually just pumped mine up to 34psi cold because I only drive a few miles at a time so the tires don't have time to warm up. You kind of have to find the sweet spot for how you use them.

FDHog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350, 2020 Ford Raptor
Bought my GT on Monday and already got a second set of stock wheels (satin) for cold weather.
The Pilot A/S 3+ go on tomorrow. Can't let the car sit all winter. As long as there is no salt or brine on the roads, I'll drive her.

ModularKid21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜15 GT
Vehicle Showcase
As stated previously, just take it easy until they come up in temp. Iā€™ll be driving 2 hours at 32* tomorrow morning on a set of MPSS tires. Iā€™ve done it many a times and the tires havenā€™t spontaneously combusted yet so you should be good :like:

OP
OP
SiddVicious

SiddVicious

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah i just did my morning drive to work at 39 degrees. I've put a little more air in my tires and it does seem to get the tires up to temp quicker and stays warmer. Not perfect, but better.

ModularKid21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜15 GT
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah i just did my morning drive to work at 39 degrees. I've put a little more air in my tires and it does seem to get the tires up to temp quicker and stays warmer. Not perfect, but better.
Yeah, Iā€™ll up the pressure a little before my drive tomorrow. From December through February, Iā€™ll probably only drive my car a couple times. And soon itā€™ll be on the stock wheels anyway. If I drove the car year round, Iā€™d definitely invest in some all seasons

Sponsored
OP
OP
SiddVicious

SiddVicious

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've been rocking them in low 30* this week. Till they get some temp they are almost like driving in cold rain. I'll be moving to my winters this weekend.
That's a perfect description, i would almost say it makes the roads feel greasy since the tires can spin up so easily. I don't have to deal with the colder east coast temps so i'll try to stay with the MP4S all winter, raising the psi made them feel safe, and still capable of "spirited driving".
Sponsored