honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Tis not a newly built race engine or refreshed with aftermarket parts. It's a replacement crate motor from Ford of which has already been up to redline on the Dyno. That "initial" break in is already done.

I'd recommend following the guidelines in the manual. Keep it simple and don't overthink it.

Roger Blose

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 1988 Mustang GT, 2009 Lincoln MKZ
Change the oil at 100 miles with a new filter and again at 500 miles. You would be amazed at the amount of metallic crud in the drain pan that is flowing through these engines. Just do it despite the experts saying to runit longer. I would also rent a car for the trip to avoid stone chips and snow.

OP
OP
Droopy1592

Droopy1592

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Damien
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Change the oil at 100 miles with a new filter and again at 500 miles. You would be amazed at the amount of metallic crud in the drain pan that is flowing through these engines. Just do it despite the experts saying to runit longer. I would also rent a car for the trip to avoid stone chips and snow.
I do a lot of mountain road driving and road trips. It’s covered in rock chips! I plan to have the front end corrected next year. The paint was kind of meh when I bought it.

OP
OP
Droopy1592

Droopy1592

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Damien
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Tis not a newly built race engine or refreshed with aftermarket parts. It's a replacement crate motor from Ford of which has already been up to redline on the Dyno. That "initial" break in is already done.

I'd recommend following the guidelines in the manual. Keep it simple and don't overthink it.
Really not doubting you at all but you got a source?

Sponsored

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Not off the top of my head. I know some friends have verified it with friends that work at the plant.

Even if it's not (or you choose not to base your break-in on the assumption), I'd still just follow the manual's guidelines for break-in.

OP
OP
Droopy1592

Droopy1592

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Damien
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Not off the top of my head. I know some friends have verified it with friends that work at the plant.

Even if it's not (or you choose not to base your break-in on the assumption), I'd still just follow the manual's guidelines for break-in.
it’s gonna happen. I’m going to drive it for 100 miles with varying revs and load conditions, then take the road trip and still vary revs.

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
I gave you the source and cut and pasted it right here in this thread.

Its directly from Ford.

If you don’t have your supplement, I told you where you could get it.

key01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 now gone to a great home.
I would be renting a car for this trip, but I overthink everything. It’s in my DNA and can’t be controlled. Drives the wife nutz

OP
OP
Droopy1592

Droopy1592

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Damien
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I gave you the source and cut and pasted it right here in this thread.

Its directly from Ford.

If you don’t have your supplement, I told you where you could get it.
I appreciate that but I was referring to the statement about the motors being dynoed at the factory.

Sponsored

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
I appreciate that but I was referring to the statement about the motors being dynoed at the factory.
Sure thing. Apologies for misinterpreting.

Check that same sticky (GT350 Basics...) I’ve got links to the whole process, videos included. Let me know if any links are broken.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Lots of off ramps and on ramps so you can get full throttle and no throttle time in. Obviously no EXTENDED full throttle, but you want full throttle and no throttle to seat the rings.

Frankly I wouldn't want a passenger in the car during engine break in. At least the way I do it, it's annoying to ride along. I try really hard to avoid ANY constant speed cruising.

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
Could’ve sworn I had that info there. I’ll keep looking and update here if/when I find it.

Happy Motoring!

OP
OP
Droopy1592

Droopy1592

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Damien
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350

I just read the first page of a few crate motor docs from Ford and they all say “dynoed to check for oil and water leaks” or something to that effect. So you’re probably right. Hopefully they do that for our voodoo as well.