Sponsored

Issues after Gen 2 engine replacement

DIB2016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 H.E GT350; 1968 Ford Bronco Sport
I am having a couple of issues with that car after my motor replacement and am wondering if any of yall with replacement engines are having the same issues.

• I am getting a whistling sound on both accel and decel that i thought was a vacuum leak. I checked for vacuum leaks and couldn't find anything obvious, and the dealer couldn't find the issue and thinks it is coming from the blue high flow air filter.
  • getting a random metallic ping noise after car is warm that does not change when load is added to the engine seems to be underneath the car. Almost the same pinging you get when you turn off the car. It also feels like their is a restriction in the exhaust after the swap.
I am at my wits end with this car. I love the car, but it has been an effin nightmare sorting out the BS. Any direction would help, as the dealer just seems act like everything is fine with the car. Thanks.
Sponsored

DCShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lighting Blue and 2017 Ducati 1299S
I suggest for item 1, carefully check the air intake path and make sure all clamps and screws are tight. On the air filter make sure itā€™s properly seated on the intake tube. Itā€™s easy to get it crooked on the bottom you canā€™t see. Feel with your fingers all around it to make sure itā€™s seated properly. Also donā€™t overtighten the big clamp that holds it on. It will jump out of the seat and lose its seal if you tighten it too much

Demonic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
Do you know if the dealer did a smoke test for a leak? On modern cars the vacuum routing has gotten so complex that listening isn't always enough. As for the air filter, I don't know about the after market ones, but the stock one has a tab that has to be oriented to sit in the bottom of the intake shroud. Might be worth checking, or swapping back to the stock one just to rule it out.

DCShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
Itā€™s quite easy to not get the air filter set right. As you said the tab goes down

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
I am having a couple of issues with that car after my motor replacement and am wondering if any of yall with replacement engines are having the same issues.

• I am getting a whistling sound on both accel and decel that i thought was a vacuum leak. I checked for vacuum leaks and couldn't find anything obvious, and the dealer couldn't find the issue and thinks it is coming from the blue high flow air filter.
  • getting a random metallic ping noise after car is warm that does not change when load is added to the engine seems to be underneath the car. Almost the same pinging you get when you turn off the car. It also feels like their is a restriction in the exhaust after the swap.
I am at my wits end with this car. I love the car, but it has been an effin nightmare sorting out the BS. Any direction would help, as the dealer just seems act like everything is fine with the car. Thanks.
My whistle was a loose intake at the Throttle body.

Sponsored

OP
OP

DIB2016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Do you know if the dealer did a smoke test for a leak? On modern cars the vacuum routing has gotten so complex that listening isn't always enough. As for the air filter, I don't know about the after market ones, but the stock one has a tab that has to be oriented to sit in the bottom of the intake shroud. Might be worth checking, or swapping back to the stock one just to rule it out.
No they didn't do a smoke test. I will recheck the air intake route up to the throttle body. They half assed the motor install, the air filter was loose and not tightened down when i received the car back.

CNFLCTD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT 350
Welcome to the wonderful world of the bbq tick. My 19 has it and Iā€™m about to lose my mind already

OP
OP

DIB2016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Welcome to the wonderful world of the bbq tick. My 19 has it and Iā€™m about to lose my mind already
Has the dealer provided you any insight on the matter? My gen 1 motor never had the tick, so Iā€™m confused why the updated 19ā€™s have this issue.

Ixse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt350
I pretty much had to put everything back together myself after my car was in for oil cooler line recall. Ford dealer mechanics are always over worked and under trained. I wouldnā€™t be surprised if few clamps are loose or missing. They literally didnā€™t even bother putting back screws for my battery cover and lost em. Front splitter was all loose and incorrectly installed. Biggest reason why i would never take my car back to dealershit.

CNFLCTD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT 350
Has the dealer provided you any insight on the matter? My gen 1 motor never had the tick, so Iā€™m confused why the updated 19ā€™s have this issue.
Nothing of value. I get the ā€˜normal characteristics of the engine BSā€™. Sorry but I expect more from a $70k brand new car. I should add that the car runs like a top. Itā€™s just embarrassing to be at a light with the windows down and the car sounds like itā€™s falling apart.

Sponsored
OP
OP

DIB2016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I pretty much had to put everything back together myself after my car was in for oil cooler line recall. Ford dealer mechanics are always over worked and under trained. I wouldnā€™t be surprised if few clamps are loose or missing. They literally didnā€™t even bother putting back screws for my battery cover and lost em. Front splitter was all loose and incorrectly installed. Biggest reason why i would never take my car back to dealershit.
Y
Nothing of value. I get the ā€˜normal characteristics of the engine BSā€™. Sorry but I expect more from a $70k brand new car. I should add that the car runs like a top. Itā€™s just embarrassing to be at a light with the windows down and the car sounds like itā€™s falling apart.
Yeah I feel the same way. The ticking is bad enough, but Iā€™m the idle shake is the most annoying part.

OP
OP

DIB2016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dealing with this issue now. Rattling starts at low speeds and then worsens when i start to make a turn.

DCShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
If they drop the whole front subframe to remove the engine by moving it down, then itā€™s quite possible to make errors in all those bits. If the engine is removed by taking the hood off and taking it up, then the suspension is not touched. I have no idea how mine was done.

BlackandBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
If they drop the whole front subframe to remove the engine by moving it down, then itā€™s quite possible to make errors in all those bits. If the engine is removed by taking the hood off and taking it up, then the suspension is not touched. I have no idea how mine was done.
Most likely out the bottom. It is easy compared to top when you have a lift.

OP
OP

DIB2016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They pulled it out of the bottom.
Sponsored