Sponsored

Ceratec before or after winter storage oil change?

OP
OP
StangTime

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
OP
OP
StangTime

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
I used it in my last oil change and it worked the same lol. I actually got 4 bottles for 58$
That's a great deal! Looks like they won't ship to Canada. Bummer.

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
I personally witnessed the following: non ticking engine gets on ramps for oil change. New oil is boutique Red Line. Old oil is drained, new filter pre-filled, new oil gets into the engine. Engine starts with new oil. No ceratec in either old or new oil btw.

Before the car gets off the ramp I could clearly hear one tick. Then another one. Within a week of driving that engine developed pretty usual and frequent tick you can hear on a bunch of youtube videos.

Based on that my theory is - some instances of coyote engine are very sensitive to even a very short term oil starvation stress.

For some of them even this little time is enough to develop a tick. I can extrapolate a bit and assume that engines that are not daily driven, stay for long periods of time for oil to drain might be more subject to bbq tick than daily driven cars.

Now, search internet and read on what was motivation behing mos2 oil additive development.

It was developed for military aircraft piston engines to help with combat situations when engine was hit and lost oil. Mos2 would let engine still work without seizure for some limited period of time after oil loss to let pilot do emergency procedures with working engine.

Based on info above I believe it is more important to have either mos2 or ceratec in old coyote oil than in the new oil.

Both of these additives build protective film over some period of time that might be very useful when old oil is drained, engine is started and is in the process of pushing new oil through empty system.

Used oil tests I saw on internet prove ceratec has mos2 in it , plus it has ceramic suspense.

I think that mos2 alone is capable of bbq tick prevention, but will not eliminate tick noise once it is already there. Ceratec will do both, apparently because of the suspension. We also had one forum member fixing the tick after adding black carbon to the oil. That again was an immediate fix. Ford's xl7 or 17 also fixes the tick and has black carbon in it.

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
I personally witnessed the following: non ticking engine gets on ramps for oil change. New oil is boutique Red Line. Old oil is drained, new filter pre-filled, new oil gets into the engine. Engine starts with new oil. No ceratec in either old or new oil btw.

Before the car gets off the ramp I could clearly hear one tick. Then another one. Within a week of driving that engine developed pretty usual and frequent tick you can hear on a bunch of youtube videos.

Based on that my theory is - some instances of coyote engine are very sensitive to even a very short term oil starvation stress.

For some of them even this little time is enough to develop a tick. I can extrapolate a bit and assume that engines that are not daily driven, stay for long periods of time for oil to drain might be more subject to bbq tick than daily driven cars.

Now, search internet and read on what was motivation behing mos2 oil additive development.

It was developed for military aircraft piston engines to help with combat situations when engine was hit and lost oil. Mos2 would let engine still work without seizure for some limited period of time after oil loss to let pilot do emergency procedures with working engine.

Based on info above I believe it is more important to have either mos2 or ceratec in old coyote oil than in the new oil.

Both of these additives build protective film over some period of time that might be very useful when old oil is drained, engine is started and is in the process of pushing new oil through empty system.

Used oil tests I saw on internet prove ceratec has mos2 in it , plus it has ceramic suspense.

I think that mos2 alone is capable of bbq tick prevention, but will not eliminate tick noise once it is already there. Ceratec will do both, apparently because of the suspension. We also had one forum member fixing the tick after adding black carbon to the oil. That again was an immediate fix. Ford's xl7 or 17 also fixes the tick and has black carbon in it.
Ive tried MOS2 , it didnt do anything for me. I had the tick before I even had my first oil change btw. Mos2 is black and ceratec is like orangish colored.

Sponsored

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Velocity Blue 301A

You make some interesting points. I have a slightly different view that I've been pondering. I have been in no hurry to drop out the factory fill. I suspect it may have some additives in it for the new engine that may discourage the ticking or perhaps that removing it too soon say 500 miles or so may not be as good for the motor. Not saying that's the case but merely that it could be less desirable. My car is not daily driven and often sits 4 or 5 days between being started or more & I have no tick......... yet:) Of course my first change will be within the next week so I guess I'm going to find out soon enough. In any case this tick thing is a real head scratcher..........

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
Ive tried MOS2 , it didnt do anything for me. I had the tick before I even had my first oil change btw. Mos2 is black and ceratec is like orangish colored.
my point was - mos2 may work as a preventative measure before you got the tick. it is more important to have it in old oil than in new.

once you got it, mos2 will not do much.ceratec will.

my engine was also ticking before the oil change.

Last edited:

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
You make some interesting points. I have a slightly different view that I've been pondering. I have been in no hurry to drop out the factory fill. I suspect it may have some additives in it for the new engine that may discourage the ticking or perhaps that removing it too soon say 500 miles or so may not be as good for the motor. Not saying that's the case but merely that it could be less desirable. My car is not daily driven and often sits 4 or 5 days between being started or more & I have no tick......... yet:) Of course my first change will be within the next week so I guess I'm going to find out soon enough. In any case this tick thing is a real head scratcher..........
factory oil being special - that is one of the well known versions.

My engine as well as Andy's and other member's were ticking before the oil change though.
Sponsored