Sponsored

Whats your tire pressure when storing for the winter?

Airborne5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Hi guys, curious what you set your tires to when storing for the winter in indoor unheated? I have mine going away (18 PP1) and am unsure what to set them at.
Sponsored

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
Hi guys, curious what you set your tires to when storing for the winter in indoor unheated? I have mine going away (18 PP1) and am unsure what to set them at.
It doesn't matter. There's no optimal tire pressure when the car is sitting still. Tire pressure only comes into play with driving. Just make sure to air up come Spring or whenever you drive it next.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
What ever pressure is in em. When I take them off the car in the fall.

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
I don't change tire pressure for storage but before I start driving her again I check the pressure then. They always need aired up in the spring.

kent0464

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kent
Vehicle(s)
1983 Ford Ranger, 1986 SVO Mustang, 2017 Mustang GT PP, 2017 F150 3.5 Eco
Vehicle Showcase
Everyone is different, if I’m putting the car away for the winter and it has performance tires on then it goes on jack stands. If the garage is not heated then the tires come off and go in the house. This is especially true if your rears are bias ply.

Sponsored

1MEAN18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT
I pump mine up to 40 psi if the car sits in one spot for more than a couple weeks. I keep 45 psi in my front runners anyways...dunno if it helps prevent flat spots or not, but I've never had flat spots, even on my drag radials so I recommend pumping them up if your ride sits in one spot for a long time. But this is like arguing over oil brands/viscosity...everyone has a different way, and do what works for you.

OP
OP

Airborne5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I pump mine up to 40 psi if the car sits in one spot for more than a couple weeks. I keep 45 psi in my front runners anyways...dunno if it helps prevent flat spots or not, but I've never had flat spots, even on my drag radials so I recommend pumping them up if your ride sits in one spot for a long time. But this is like arguing over oil brands/viscosity...everyone has a different way, and do what works for you.
Thanks, I put mine up to 38 PSI all round.

OP
OP

Airborne5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
38 is fine. You're not going to get flat spots. If we were in the 60's, okay sure. But progress is a wonderful thing.
Appreciate the reply, my first year storing a vehicle over the winter. Have another question for you. I have the myford app, when I stored it the owner said he could remove the battery for me later that day since he want swamped and needed to store the vehicles in a certain order. No issue with that, busy time of year and he was swamped that day. If the battery was removed would I be able to update the vehicles location, oil life, miles remaining etc?

Thanks!

1MEAN18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT
Thanks, I put mine up to 38 PSI all round.
I do it more out of an abundance of caution really. Its the same reason I add a little bit of MMO (marvel mystery oil) to my gas to keep pumps and injectors operating normally, and I've never had a pump or injector fail on me either, so being superstitious I tend to stick with all this stuff my dad taught me to do decades ago. I'm just glad I could help.

Sponsored

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Appreciate the reply, my first year storing a vehicle over the winter. Have another question for you. I have the myford app, when I stored it the owner said he could remove the battery for me later that day since he want swamped and needed to store the vehicles in a certain order. No issue with that, busy time of year and he was swamped that day. If the battery was removed would I be able to update the vehicles location, oil life, miles remaining etc?

Thanks!
I'd call your dealership about that one. That's a good question.

IronG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
As long as you are not moving the car with perm tires you are fine. No extra air needed. I do put mine on jack stands but really nothing to do with the tires, more to help keep the pesky mice out. lots of traps and dryer towels help. Just make sure you can see and check the traps and reload if needed. Fortunately the couple cars I store aside from my Mustang have been pretty clear of rodents the last few years. Cold is not really a concern in NJ for fluids either. Not sure if that could be a problem in Ontario.
Sponsored