Sponsored

Mustang "Lithium" Battery Electric Prototype Signals Future With 900+ HP / 1000 FT-LBS Torque!

TomcatDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Magnetic w/black stripes
Not sure I made a comparison - I’m illustrating that there are many ways to generate electricity, that it’s ubiquitous - in my experience, they even have electricity in Texas... I’m not sure about the relevance of your overlay - it seems like what Germany is doing might work better in Texas. Is there any handy data about Australia?
In Texas sure, but not in California, where ironically there is a bunch of wind power, but they have to turn it off when it's windy or everything catches on fire.

I think the point he's making is a sub-300 mile range gets you all over a European country, but not Texas, and if you are crossing a couple states forgettaboutit. Until you can recharge in comparable times to gas fill-up (less than 5 minutes) electric is best suited for in-town use. Yes, you can obviously drive a Tesla cross-country, but it requires planning and a somewhat leisurely pace, taking a long lunch with your re-charge. When I drive cross country it's drive-through only. I know a guy who got a (non-Tesla) electric. Works in town, but he rents a car if he needs to go out of town.
Sponsored

mattballislife

Threads
Reaction score
Website
ballislife.com
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
gt350R
It should be a pretty big disaster for Ford,the dealerships can hardly do an oil change without an issue
this electric shit is way over their heads
Electric is much easier to maintain than a normal combustion engine. There’s a lot less moving parts which is part of why the unions are fighting the manufactures right now. I know it was a joke and you’re being sarcastic but just think about it
The only real way a EV can compete with a ICE car is if it has the same range and having that ranger at ICE car prices.
Things you can do with an electric car that you cannot do with a gas powered car -
  • Charge at home
  • Charge at the grocery store
  • Charge at the mall
  • Charge at many work place parking lots
  • Charge in most parking structures
  • Charge at many hotel parking lots
  • Charge while you're getting food on a road trip
The only way you can refill a gas powered car if you're low on gas at anytime of the day is to get up, put your shoes on and head over to the gas station away from any of the options above.

The folks on here complaining about range beyond 300 miles are acting like you're going on a cross state road trip every single day/week. Chances are most of us are driving under 50-100 miles a day. You may not like electric cars but most of the arguments against them on this thread are pretty weak. There are less parts in an electric car and I would suggest all of you with issues about longevity to go look up the cost of an electric motor vs an internal combustion engine. Once you're done with that, look up how long an electric motor lasts compared to its counter part...upwards of 1 million miles lol. No more oil changes, tuneups, timing belts and moving parts. The consumer has already spoken but it doesn't mean that we all can't still enjoy our current vehicles.

Also, just an fyi, I have twice gone to the track with a full tank in my gt350r and ran out of gas by the end of my third session while a model 3 performance package was doing jussstttt fine.

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
The only real way a EV can compete with a ICE car is if it has the same range and having that ranger at ICE car prices.
Really now? So that $300 gas bill per month for the ICE vehicle doesn't count? Monthly cost of an EV at $35k can be cheaper then the monthly cost of a ICE vehicle at $25k depending on driving habits/miles driven per month. Now of course this is assuming you are financing the vehicle (which a vast majority of people do).

My model 3 costs about $80 less per month then my S550 V6 with my driving habits and miles per month.

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
The folks on here complaining about range beyond 300 miles are acting like you're going on a cross state road trip every single day/week. Chances are most of us are driving under 50-100 miles a day. You may not like electric cars but most of the arguments against them on this thread are pretty weak. There are less parts in an electric car and I would suggest all of you with issues about longevity to go look up the cost of an electric motor vs an internal combustion engine. Once you're done with that, look up how long an electric motor lasts compared to its counter part...upwards of 1 million miles lol. No more oil changes, tuneups, timing belts and moving parts. The consumer has already spoken but it doesn't mean that we all can't still enjoy our current vehicles.
^ Someone actually gets it... I charge my Model 3 at home to 90% capacity every night. With my normal commute I arrive back at home with around 70% remaining. I could recharge at a supercharger in under 15min back to 90% with that usage. Takes about 1.5hrs at home to charge back to 90%.

tokuzumi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Escalade ESV
Electric is much easier to maintain than a normal combustion engine. There’s a lot less moving parts which is part of why the unions are fighting the manufactures right now. I know it was a joke and you’re being sarcastic but just think about it

Things you can do with an electric car that you cannot do with a gas powered car -
  • Charge at home
  • Charge at the grocery store
  • Charge at the mall
  • Charge at many work place parking lots
  • Charge in most parking structures
  • Charge at many hotel parking lots
  • Charge while you're getting food on a road trip
The only way you can refill a gas powered car if you're low on gas at anytime of the day is to get up, put your shoes on and head over to the gas station away from any of the options above.

Also, just an fyi, I have twice gone to the track with a full tank in my gt350r and ran out of gas by the end of my third session while a model 3 performance package was doing jussstttt fine.
For commuting cars, EVs are perfectly fine. I drive about 600 miles/month. I'd maybe have to charge an EV 2x/month. But for people who travel for work, and use their own vehicle, EVs are not viable yet. Also, if the EV/ICE ownership percentage switched tomorrow, EVs would litter the side of the road abandoned because there aren't enough charging stations.

While you can charge at all of those locations you list, many of the stations are going to get you maybe an additional 6-7 miles of range during that hour if your vehicle can't communicate with the charger at the fast charging rate.

Also, here's a snippet from the Chevrolet Bolt owner's manual;

"When using a 120-volt AC electrical outlet, it will take approximately 50 hours to charge the vehicle with the 12 amp AC current setting, allowing approximately 6 km (4 mi) for every hour of charging"

Moving up to the 240V setup will net you 25 miles of range in one hour. If you were traveling and were running low on battery, are you going to charge while eating, drive 25 miles and then stop for another hour?

What do you do if you live in an apartment complex where there are maybe 5-6 EV spots? My employer has EV spots on the top floor of the parking garage, but there are maybe 5 spots total.

EVs work great for people who have a garage with a 240V charging setup. Everyone else is going to have a bad time unless they are the only ones with an EV in their area.

Sponsored

mattballislife

Threads
Reaction score
Website
ballislife.com
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
gt350R
For commuting cars, EVs are perfectly fine. I drive about 600 miles/month. I'd maybe have to charge an EV 2x/month. But for people who travel for work, and use their own vehicle, EVs are not viable yet. Also, if the EV/ICE ownership percentage switched tomorrow, EVs would litter the side of the road abandoned because there aren't enough charging stations.

While you can charge at all of those locations you list, many of the stations are going to get you maybe an additional 6-7 miles of range during that hour if your vehicle can't communicate with the charger at the fast charging rate.

Also, here's a snippet from the Chevrolet Bolt owner's manual;

"When using a 120-volt AC electrical outlet, it will take approximately 50 hours to charge the vehicle with the 12 amp AC current setting, allowing approximately 6 km (4 mi) for every hour of charging"

Moving up to the 240V setup will net you 25 miles of range in one hour. If you were traveling and were running low on battery, are you going to charge while eating, drive 25 miles and then stop for another hour?

What do you do if you live in an apartment complex where there are maybe 5-6 EV spots? My employer has EV spots on the top floor of the parking garage, but there are maybe 5 spots total.

EVs work great for people who have a garage with a 240V charging setup. Everyone else is going to have a bad time unless they are the only ones with an EV in their area.
Most cities/power companies will do an incentive for the buyer to get an upgraded power input into their home. I know here where I live it's about $1500 to make the changes and our power company will, through a tax credit, pay for that power upgrade. I'm guessing this incentive goes every apartment complex, business parking lots etc. Over time it will get better.

If those issues you mentioned in your post are voiced by an influx of more EV owners I'm sure those situations will change. I don't see why they wouldn't if it's being paid for with a tax credit while adding additional revenue options for power companies & whomever is installing the ev station. I think this should be recognized more as it keeps our energy dollars here instead of Saudi Arabia.

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
I suggest doing a bit more research... Home charging at 240v is considered level 2 charging. The idea is to be able to charge the car overnight. Public fast chargers are considered level 3 and can charge the car from 0-100% within an hour usually. Level 2 is around 7-10kw while level 3 can go all the way up to 350kw. You won't be using a level 2 charger in the situation you brought up.... But say you went to lunch and the restaurant had a level 2 charger, plug in and when you got out you would have am extra 25 miles. That's called opportunity charging.

Maryland had an EV charging incentive where you can get up to 30-40% the cost of installing EV charging equipment up to $700 in value. Apartment living is challenging with an EV currently. That point is valid. But that should get better as more public charging stations come online over the next few years.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
I don't see why they wouldn't if it's being paid for with a tax credit while adding additional revenue options for power companies & whomever is installing the ev station. I think this should be recognized more as it keeps our energy dollars here instead of Saudi Arabia.
This is an excellent point and one that all us can agree on. More electric cars means more energy needs to be produced. All of which would be generated on our ground, by our companies, and our people. Yes, there are emissions to deal with and I'm sure they will be.

At the end of the day EV's are good for the USA.

kwpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach1
interesting the instrument cluster reverts to the '15 - '17 MY classic analog layout.

tokuzumi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Escalade ESV
I suggest doing a bit more research... Home charging at 240v is considered level 2 charging. The idea is to be able to charge the car overnight. Public fast chargers are considered level 3 and can charge the car from 0-100% within an hour usually. Level 2 is around 7-10kw while level 3 can go all the way up to 350kw. You won't be using a level 2 charger in the situation you brought up.... But say you went to lunch and the restaurant had a level 2 charger, plug in and when you got out you would have am extra 25 miles. That's called opportunity charging.

Maryland had an EV charging incentive where you can get up to 30-40% the cost of installing EV charging equipment up to $700 in value. Apartment living is challenging with an EV currently. That point is valid. But that should get better as more public charging stations come online over the next few years.
You would have to have a 240V setup if you want to be able to charge overnight. Plugging your car into your 15 A outlet is not going to be a viable solution "Sorry, boss...won't be in today. It takes 2 days for my car to charge. See you tomorrow (hopefully)."

As far as research, no need to look any further than the TFL Car channel and their charging woes with their Model X. They go into great detail on the different public use car chargers and the pros and cons of keeping your battery juiced up. Maybe Colorado is an enigma compared to the rest of the continental US, though.

I'm not hating on EV cars. I'd love to have one. I also fit in to the "own a house with a garage, and could easily add a 240V outlet in my garage" demographic. I'd probably go with a hybrid just to ease my range anxiety, though.

Sponsored

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
interesting the instrument cluster reverts to the '15 - '17 MY classic analog layout.
This is pretty much just a hacked together prototype so I wouldn't read much into it. They likely just took a base EB and converted it. The touchscreen is an aftermarket unit from China for instance....

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
You would have to have a 240V setup if you want to be able to charge overnight. Plugging your car into your 15 A outlet is not going to be a viable solution "Sorry, boss...won't be in today. It takes 2 days for my car to charge. See you tomorrow (hopefully)."

As far as research, no need to look any further than the TFL Car channel and their charging woes with their Model X. They go into great detail on the different public use car chargers and the pros and cons of keeping your battery juiced up. Maybe Colorado is an enigma compared to the rest of the continental US, though.

I'm not hating on EV cars. I'd love to have one. I also fit in to the "own a house with a garage, and could easily add a 240V outlet in my garage" demographic. I'd probably go with a hybrid just to ease my range anxiety, though.
120v charging can do the job. My commute for instance could be recouped overnight with 120v charging. 240 is a nice to have when you do not have a local fast charger (like my area).

I haven't looked much into the TFLs experiences but the Tesla supercharger network combined with 240v charging is more than capable for my driving needs. I have yet to run across a time where I got range anxiety due to the lack of charging options on a trip or commute.

So my point is this.... You need to be careful about what you read about EV charging... If the article was published last year, it most certainly is out of date due to there likely being 5+ more charging options in the area since that article was written. Also keep in mind that you are not going to be charging a car from 0-100 on a daily basis. Most of the time it's 20-80% which takes significantly less time.

I took a 400 mile road trip into the mountains with my Model 3. Stopped once on the way to the cabin to charge (didn't need to to get to my destination but wanted max charge as possible) took 10 min to go from 50-90. Had just enough time to get out of the car and walk into Wawa for a bathroom break before the car was done charging. Got to the cabin with 56% battery and plugged into a 120v outlet. By next morning around 10 the car was completely charged. Did not need to worry at all about charging during the day. Got back to the cabin, plugged in, and again by the time we were ready to head home the car was fully charged.

That entire road trip took NO additional time due to charging as it would have if I was driving the mustang. And I have the absolute base Model 3 with only a 220 mile range. The Model 3 performance has a 320 mile range.

Now if I wanted to go from Maryland to Orlando in one trip. I would add about 45min to an hour to my commute compared to an ICE vehicle. Considering that's around a 1100 mile commute for me, that's not bad at all. And there are plenty of Tesla superchargers on the way. Would be about 5-6 stops each around 10-15 min or 3-4 stops with 2 (lunch and dinner) being around 45min.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
It's very use case driven and that includes considerations of distances, various capacities, charging availability, etc. - while you don't want to do a lump sum assumptions, it's also clear, at the moment, it's not a good fit for some folks (who aren't even particularly outer edge cases [re: extreme outliers]).

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
It's very use case driven and that includes considerations of distances, various capacities, charging availability, etc. - while you don't want to do a lump sum assumptions, it's also clear, at the moment, it's not a good fit for some folks (who aren't even particularly outer edge cases [re: extreme outliers]).
It's much closer than you think. For the vast majority of people in this country the current EV tech is sufficient. (With the asterisk of more fast charging stations needed which is happening)

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
where I live it's about $1500 to make the changes and our power company will, through a tax credit, pay for that power upgrade. I'm guessing this incentive goes every apartment complex, business parking lots etc.
right you live in the People's Republic where you have days of no power, a bankrupt utility (and bankrupt state gov't too) and annual, massive, forest fires emitting multiple powers of maginitude of soot, carbon dioxide into the atmosphere (not to mention killing animals out the wazoo) and threatening the rest of the planet compared to all the good will every EV car ever produced garnered by it's use.

Only in Cali and other progressive hotspots do you have such un-economic programs. In the real world EV are not even a pimple on an elephant's ass. Employers putting charging stations in garages or parking lots? Like hell. Only the biggest malls have charging stations. Maybe 8 or a dozen out of 500+ spots.

There are some EV at 25K. https://list.ly/list/gSc-best-electric-vehicles-under-25000-dollars
They are perfectly fine for runabouts of less than 100mi radius where you can reliably come back to home base. For everything else there is Petrol.
Sponsored