Sponsored

How do people in California wash their cars?

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
I was washing my car today and i noticed on every bottle I had (quality items) there was a California warning about cancer and reproductive harm. I'm semi serious here how does anyone there wash a car? yall have special california safe chemicals? Sounds like any time anyone washes a car there everyone gets cancer and has babies with legs for noses.

On the serious side are there washes and waxes that are considered California safe ?
Sponsored

Interceptor

Daily Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 California Special A10
It never rains in southern California so cars don't get dirty.

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
It never rains in southern California so cars don't get dirty.
You've obviously never lived outside your county. I'm no fan of left coast politics, but I have lived there and while there may be little rain in the southern part, there is massive dust. Dew builds up on the vehicle over night after dust has settled on the car from the previous day. After 2-3 days of this on a gray car it looks brown and filthy. I washed my car at a do-it-yourself place at least twice a week (little garage parking for apartment dwellers out there or military personnel parking on base as was my case).

As for the OP statement on the label with reference to washing and using "hazardous chemicals" is ridiculous. Reminds me of a story out Chemistry teacher told us in high school. A study was done on Fluoride that deemed it to cause cancer. So people were claiming Crest toothpaste with Fluoride would kill you. A couple of college students did their own study on Crest and found that a person would have to consume 2 semi trailer truck loads in 24 hours for there to even be a potential health risk for cancer. Point is too much of anything will kill you. Too much oxygen and you become a walking spontaneous combustion. This is just some over paid state job holder proving his/her worth and trying to create job security out of a nonsensical overpaid job.

Interceptor

Daily Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That comment was from a Mamas and Pappas song, reflecting when everything was supposedly wonderful in California, so all the hippies went there and .. Well you got what you got.
Thanks for insight on daily dust stuff, I guess that rules out leaving your top down.

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
^ On the contrary, you leave your top down in public parking so that the crooks/drug heads don't cut through it to get in to see if there is anything to steal...if they don't try to steal the car. at least that is what a friend of mine did with his convertible when he was out there. Said it was cheaper to replace anything they may have stolen than to replace a convertible top. He simply locked the doors to keep the honest honest, and left nothing of value in it.

Not a fan of Mommas and Poppas or any other hippy music for that matter so I never caught the reference.

Sponsored

CrashOverride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
The Prop 65 warning is everywhere, including the entrance to hospitals. Everything causes cancer in high enough concentrations.

Cars don't get dirty here, but they get very dusty. And dusty is very hard on the paint, and extremely hard on the windshield. In many places here, you have to bucket wash. How do most Californians wash cars? They go to work and have a mobile detailer come there and use a waterless system. But, for those of us here that aren't afraid of manual labor, the people that do the best job use a foam cannon. Lets the suds safely bubble the dust to the surface where it can be wiped off without scratching the paint.

SoCalTim

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Sold : 15 GT
There is massive dust. Dew builds up on the vehicle over night after dust has settled on the car from the previous day. After 2-3 days of this on a gray car it looks brown and filthy.
This is nail on the head. Dew at night + dust that settles on the car = dirty again within 48 hrs. I enjoy the detailing aspect, so every Sunday night she gets a thorough wash ready for another week. It is what it is. From what I've heard, Florida is even worse with regards to keeping cars clean. Love bugs etc.

Joe 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP
Vehicle Showcase
OP, check out waterless or rinseless wash. Specifically "ONR."

CrashOverride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
OP, check out waterless or rinseless wash. Specifically "ONR."
I use it myself when I am too lazy to get out the pressure washer. I use the green stuff with the wax, works pretty good. My advice is since you don't need much water, "splurge" and use 2 gallons of distilled water from the grocery store. Then you won't get spots from the lousy TDS in your home water. I also recommend buying several cheap microfibers - somewhere on youtube a person mentioned using the 1/4 fold method where you fold it to reveal a clean side for every panel. Works good, then you can wash the microfibers, throw them in a zip-lock bad, and they are ready for the next wash.

Sponsored

kluke15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GTPP
In California everything causes cancer.
I wash my car with Liberal Tears.
least youll never run out of something to wash with

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE
I was washing my car today and i noticed on every bottle I had (quality items) there was a California warning about cancer and reproductive harm. I'm semi serious here how does anyone there wash a car? yall have special california safe chemicals? Sounds like any time anyone washes a car there everyone gets cancer and has babies with legs for noses.

On the serious side are there washes and waxes that are considered California safe ?
We get it - you don't like California. Be grateful you live far, far away and do not need to concern yourself with the challenges of life we face here.

RaceRed5.0

Threads
Reaction score
From Texas to Louisana to California back to Texas
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 3.55, Modded 2006 Pontiac G6
Use water and soap and ignore the state government. It is very dusty in SoCal in fact I had to wash my mustang more in cali than I do in Texas. You don't want that dust to stay on there forever.

Interceptor

Daily Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ignore the government you voted for? Ohh that's terrible, especially when we all know " it's for the children"

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Despite never wanting to live there I don't dislike CA, but I do wonder the same thing as the OP sometimes when I look at the labels of a lot of the automotive chemicals that I use that are warning me of dire consequences.....
Sponsored