• Total voters

Snoopy49

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Earl
Vehicle(s)
2013 GT500 - SOLD and 2020 GT500 - SOLD
I have my 2013 Shelby insured by Leland West in Fresno Ca. through the Porsche club of America ( i Joined ) and I pay about $ 800 per year for extremely good coverage...trust me in New Jersey that is VERY cheap. The only restriction is it has to be garaged and you must prove you have another vehicle that is your daily driver.
This was the deal killer for me
"It is not used for commuting (unless an Occasional Commuting Endorsement is purchased), store errands or similar normal-daily-use activities."

If I can't drive my car to Walmart to pick up cat food, count me out.
Sponsored

Sparko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Shelby GT 500 convertible
This was the deal killer for me
"It is not used for commuting (unless an Occasional Commuting Endorsement is purchased), store errands or similar normal-daily-use activities."

If I can't drive my car to Walmart to pick up cat food, count me out.
Snooop, I use my car to go anywhere I want to go, all they want is proof is you have another car as your daily transport. Theirgoal is to insure that the insure car is fully protected and not left out in the elements and not subjected to the higher risks of daily driving. Prior to getting this policy Allstate was charging me almost 3,000 per year...versus 800....it was a no brainer for me. I store my car from Dec until end of March in a heated and secure facility that has a lot of exotic cars and keep it in my garage during the good weather days. I use it whenever I wish ( but not in the rain ! ).

Snoopy49

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Earl
Vehicle(s)
2013 GT500 - SOLD and 2020 GT500 - SOLD
My problem is they gave themselves a way out when the stated that you couldn't go to the store. What would happen if you were coming back from a Show and Shine event and decided to stop at a store and your car got in an accident in the shopping center parking lot. Do you think they would step up and cover the damage without a fight?

Sparko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Shelby GT 500 convertible
My problem is they gave themselves a way out when the stated that you couldn't go to the store. What would happen if you were coming back from a Show and Shine event and decided to stop at a store and your car got in an accident in the shopping center parking lot. Do you think they would step up and cover the damage without a fight?
They would cover you. Leland West writes the policy but Progressive is the insurance company. I have 3 leisure cars on this policy and have used them for the last 15 years...originally just for Porsche’s but now any limited production vehicle. They used to restrict miles per year but not the limit I believe is 7500 per year. Again you need to show and prove you have a daily driver registered .

NoReins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Work in Progress
If you werent going to track the GT500, anyone look into Collector Car insurance? I already have a Pre-2014 GT500 with Grundy Insurance and i only pay $500 a year. There is no mileage restrictions, but the car can't be your daily driver. I havent had an issues with Collector Car insurance.

Sponsored

MadMax

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2021 Antimatter Blue GT500 CFTP
I just spoke with my insurance company now that I have the VIN. My insurance is going up about $100 bucks a month and that not being my primary driver. Is this a good deal or do you guys think I need to look at another insurance company to just insure this car? Thanks

Melange_X3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
D
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350, 2017 Ford Focus ST, On Order 2020 CTFP Shelby GT 500 with POTTS. Car is released and awaiting shipment. I am running out of time before having to leave for Japan on July 29th.
I have my GT350 under restricted insurance since I don't put a lot of miles on it. I will do the same with the GT500. I don't race the cars and honestly I don't have the driving skill to run the new GT500 on the track they way it is designed to do. I am a cars and coffee enthusiast who will just drive it on the weekends and sit around and polish it in the garage and then look at it.

dsz blade

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' Mustang GT PP1
It’s going to be a good amount higher than the GT350 I think.

I quoted a hellcat and it was ridiculous.
The Dodge twins have stupidly high insurance. My Scat Pack was twice as high my Camaro SS and GT for rates. For a comparison, I quoted an SS and a ZL1, the cost difference for me was $130/6months.

1stMustang-GT500

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Evan
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R KR070, 2019 Ranger Lariat
I have my GT350 under restricted insurance since I don't put a lot of miles on it. I will do the same with the GT500. I don't race the cars and honestly I don't have the driving skill to run the new GT500 on the track they way it is designed to do. I am a cars and coffee enthusiast who will just drive it on the weekends and sit around and polish it in the garage and then look at it.
Melange, do all insurance companies offer restricted insurance? What does it really cover and entail?

Myshelby3425

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
The Dodge twins have stupidly high insurance. My Scat Pack was twice as high my Camaro SS and GT for rates. For a comparison, I quoted an SS and a ZL1, the cost difference for me was $130/6months.
I quoted the 13 GT500 and it’s $100 more a month over my Gt350 and 18 5.0 which are similar in cost.

I think it’s something to do with the HP.

Sponsored

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
MyShelby: No doubt HP plays into the insurance question but me thinks the biggest factors are age and gender.

Edit: And of course, the replacement cost..I forgot a BIG one. :-)

Last edited:

dsz blade

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' Mustang GT PP1
I quoted the 13 GT500 and it’s $100 more a month over my Gt350 and 18 5.0 which are similar in cost.

Charger Scat Pack was still more than a Camaro ZL1 though so I think it more has to do with whatever repair/accident data they have.

My wife’s Fusion Hybrid is the most expensive car currently on our policy. The only car I’ve owned that’s been more expensive is the Charger.

oneheadlite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP1 2008 Saturn Sky Redline
Drive a GT 500 as a daily driver?!?!?!?

My Base GT is lucky to be driven once a week. Sometimes not even that.
Too much crap can happen to a car; running to the store or doing errands.
Hell, even my 'Sky' stays downstairs..................

nametoshowothers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
description of cars
Drive a GT 500 as a daily driver?!?!?!?

My Base GT is lucky to be driven once a week. Sometimes not even that.
Too much crap can happen to a car; running to the store or doing errands.
Hell, even my 'Sky' stays downstairs..................
I drove my last gt500 as daily driver. Guaranteed smile every day. Rain or shine. Just a car at the end of the day. This one sounds like it would be much better as a daily driver

ChuckXX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
2020 SHELBY GT 500
In anticipation of actually receiving the 2020 Shelby GT500, I have reached out to my long time Safeco Insurance agent. I am a very good customer on many levels. My agent
claims to be very familiar with classic and performance vehicles and represents other performance car insurers such as Hagerty and others.

What I am initially seeing is as follows:

60 years+
3 additional vehicles

2020 Shelby GT500 Fastback
Full Coverage, Agreed Value
Classic - Restricted at 2500 miles per year
$1526.60 per year

+$800 per year will get me daily driver status, which is not what I plan for the vehicle in the Pacific Northwest. I do live in an urban environment and I am sure that makes a difference compared to other parts of the country.

First question: What is your shared experience? Am I in the ballpark? Recommendations?

Second question: What If I want to track this Shelby for an occasional day or three? Am I flying solo?

Thanks for your recommendations and experience.
Why is Safeco quoting you more money for restricted status (2,500 miles per year) than the daily driver status??? Maybe thats not what you meant???
Sponsored