C8 just got crushed and humiliated by the GT500

OP
OP

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
Actually, I think GM made a genius move in pricing the 2020 C8 Stingray the way they did. I am being very specific about the model year and nameplate for a reason. You’ll see in a minute.

GM has had a concern about launching the mid-engine car and alienating the core Corvette ownership, most of whom buy Stingrays and option them up. The hardcore drivers drive Grand Sport or Z06 and will understand the improvements to be gained from mid-engine configuration.

The original plan for dealing with the core Corvette owners was to continue to build C7 alongside C8, overlapping for a couple years. That way core Corvette owners could still get their front engine car and the performance drivers could get the mid-engine. Sometime after I retired in 2017 I did hear that the plan had changed and that C7 would end when C8 came in. What I did not hear (or at least didn’t believe the parts that I did hear) was that the plan would be to offer the C8 Stingray at about $5k above the cost of the C7 Stingray.

During the proposal to build the mid-engine car, Tadge told leadership that the cost difference to produce the mid-engine car would be only about $5k over the cost to produce the front-engine car. Apparently he stuck to his word and allowed for the pricing of the mid-engine car to only come in at the cost difference between the two. From what I understand, this is for model year 2020 only. After that, expect the price of 2021 Stingray to go up. I was shocked that the 2020 Stingray price is so low. I’ll definitely be interested in seeing what the pricing for the model that gets the 5.5L FPC DOHC will be. Not sure if that will be a Grand Sport, a Z06 or both (at different power levels.).
agreed. the price is definitely going up. But only a little for the z51. More capable models will be up there.

The current ZR1 is way up there.

Last edited:

Tickitty Tock

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 Kona Blue
You really think the Ford GT, the street car, is the same as the Ford GT, the race car?
It’s more or less the same car, yes.

Do you really think the base corvette stingrays shared anything but their door handles with their Le Mans versions ?

The limited run, track only mk ii GT they are offering for sale is the no holds barred GT that doesn’t have to meet homologation rules. That’s the one to get to really shit on anything c8 related.

Sponsored

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
You really think the Ford GT, the street car, is the same as the Ford GT, the race car?
It actually is pretty damn close (unlike the corvette).

""First of all, there are very few differences," said Nair. "This is pretty close to a no-waiver car." A no-waiver car would have no changes from the production to car to make it competitive in a race series. The reason it is so close is that Ford designed the race car and the production car at the same time, knowing the rules for IMSA's GTLM class and the FIA's LM GTE Pro class."

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/1102196_how-the-ford-gt-race-car-differs-from-the-street-car

In comparison, the C7.R was quite different than the street version.

"The racer’s tall rear wing emphasizes the low look of the roofline that, at 45.3 inches high, is 3.3 inches closer to the pavement than the street car’s. Adding to the menacing stance is the C7.R’s 80.7-inch width, nearly five full inches wider than the Z06 and a massive 6.8 inches wider than the stock C7."

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a...the-beastly-chevrolet-corvette-c7-r-race-car/

DekiDoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
It actually is pretty damn close (unlike the corvette).

""First of all, there are very few differences," said Nair. "This is pretty close to a no-waiver car." A no-waiver car would have no changes from the production to car to make it competitive in a race series. The reason it is so close is that Ford designed the race car and the production car at the same time, knowing the rules for IMSA's GTLM class and the FIA's LM GTE Pro class."

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/1102196_how-the-ford-gt-race-car-differs-from-the-street-car

In comparison, the C7.R was quite different than the street version.

"The racer’s tall rear wing emphasizes the low look of the roofline that, at 45.3 inches high, is 3.3 inches closer to the pavement than the street car’s. Adding to the menacing stance is the C7.R’s 80.7-inch width, nearly five full inches wider than the Z06 and a massive 6.8 inches wider than the stock C7."

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a...the-beastly-chevrolet-corvette-c7-r-race-car/
I like how you quote one thing to show the similarities between the two GTs and quote exactly the opposite for the C7R. The GTLM is 30% different in the body, with different aero and different suspension geometry compared to the road car.

DekiDoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
It’s more or less the same car, yes.

Do you really think the base corvette stingrays shared anything but their door handles with their Le Mans versions ?

The limited run, track only mk ii GT they are offering for sale is the no holds barred GT that doesn’t have to meet homologation rules. That’s the one to get to really shit on anything c8 related.
Yeah, the million dollar track toy? I hope it would shit on the Vette. But I also would bet that for that money you could get Pratt and Miller to build you a track only c7 or c8 to decimate that car. That being said, the MKII is pretty fucking sweet. I used to watch a lot of ALMS racing back in the day and always loved the GT2 Ford GT. It was always middle or back of the pack, but it was one of my favorite cars.

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
During the proposal to build the mid-engine car, Tadge told leadership that the cost difference to produce the mid-engine car would be only about $5k over the cost to produce the front-engine car. Apparently he stuck to his word and allowed for the pricing of the mid-engine car to only come in at the cost difference between the two. From what I understand, this is for model year 2020 only. After that, expect the price of 2021 Stingray to go up
2021 Chevy Corvette To Cost More Than $60,000?

https://www.motor1.com/news/365853/2021-chevrolet-corvette-price/

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
I like how you quote one thing to show the similarities between the two GTs and quote exactly the opposite for the C7R. The GTLM is 30% different in the body, with different aero and different suspension geometry compared to the road car.
There is a reason for that....it's because the Ford GT is VERY close to it's Le mans brother and the Corvette is VERY different. The major difference for the Ford GT are some aero bits and de-contented active suspension and aero features. It's of course de-tuned, but uses the same engine. The C7R however used a completely different rear suspension. It's been widened by almost 7 inches for petes sake. And of course, it doesn't use an engine found in any GM vehicle.

My post merely highlighted the rhetoric of the articles I posted...and backing up my sentiment. You complaining does no good for your argument.

Sponsored

Laststandard

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Vehicle Showcase
There is a reason for that....it's because the Ford GT is VERY close to it's Le mans brother and the Corvette is VERY different. The major difference for the Ford GT are some aero bits and de-contented active suspension and aero features. It's of course de-tuned, but uses the same engine. The C7R however used a completely different rear suspension. It's been widened by almost 7 inches for petes sake. And of course, it doesn't use an engine found in any GM vehicle.

My post merely highlighted the rhetoric of the articles I posted...and backing up my sentiment. You complaining does no good for your argument.
No shit, the GT is a 500k car that was designed to specifically fit the class rules, it says so in the article you posted. Of course GM / Pratt & Miller build the C7R to fit the class rules. Which also dictate the 5.5l displacement.

For one, many of the architectural and aerodynamic features of the C7.R race car are based on the equivalent components and technologies introduced on the 2015 Corvette Z06, including the car’s all-new aluminum frame. While the same could be said about the relationship between the C6.R and the sixth-generation Z06 Corvettes, the C7.R frames are actually fabricated at the Corvette assembly plant in Bowling Green, Kentucky, and are lifted from the Z06 production line for use by Pratt & Miller when fabricating the C7.R race cars.

When developing the 2014 Corvette Stingray, the engineers at Corvette lifted many of the aerodynamic strategies directly from the Corvette C6.R – including the forward-tilted radiator, functional hood and front-quarter panel vents, the rear-mounted transmission and differential cooling intakes. Development of the Z06 and C7.R took that aerodynamic foundation and evolved it, sharing technologies that improved engine cooling and aerodynamic downforce, including similar front splitters, rocker panels and front- and rear-brake cooling ducts.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
No shit, the GT is a 500k car that was designed to specifically fit the class rules, it says so in the article you posted. Of course GM / Pratt & Miller build the C7R to fit the class rules. Which also dictate the 5.5l displacement.
A lot of highlighting there. You could have just said agreed and had been done with it. None of the other items are relevant to the argument.

Laststandard

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Vehicle Showcase
Eh, the highlighting was in the article I took it from. Seems relevant in a discussion about race car / road car similarities.

Of course, the C8.r is a different story

the C8.R shares a higher percentage of parts with the road-going C8 than most of its predecessors – and Corvette Chief Engineer, Ed Piatek, is excited to see those ingredients carry over to the track.

OP
OP

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
Eh, the highlighting was in the article I took it from. Seems relevant in a discussion about race car / road car similarities.

Of course, the C8.r is a different story
yep. Ford is going to have to put a v8 back in the GT. Can’t wait.