Sponsored

PP2 Owners - Check that you have the proper rims!!

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
All PP2 owners:

I have a 2019 PP2 that came from the factory with 3X - 19" x 10.5" rims and a single 19"x11" rim.

So who has my other rear rim????

You can tell the difference between the rims in the PP2 addendum - by looking at the tire valve.

Front has the valve between the 'V':
Front Rim.JPG

Rear has the valve outside the 'V':

Rear Rim.JPG

You can see how my passenger side has the tire sticking out about 1" beyond the rear quarter while the driver's side is flush

IMG_6897.JPG

IMG_6898.JPG
Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Does it drive all wonky? Is that how you found the difference?

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE
That's an oops - looks like a stoner move.

Sponsored

Tw00sh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350, 1965 Mustang Coupe
Are the PP2 tires suppose to stick out like that? I saw one driving down the road the other day and it looked like they had spacers on. Not a fan of the tires sticking out like that at all.

OP
OP
Fly2High

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
How does it drive?
Fine. It is only 24mm difference or about 1ā€. Even with the Cup 2 it was largely fine. It did tram on road issues and it did seem to ā€˜jumpā€™ to the side when it hit cracks and such. It seems to drive straight, maybe a slight right input.

How should it fit?
Just like the driverā€™s side. Even with 305 tires, they should be flush with the wells.

How did I discover the difference?
I read about how to tell the difference between the front and rear rims in the forums and looked it up when I had my 275/35R19 Blizzaks installed. I then walked around the car in order to make sure the right rim was put on in the right place and caught it.

The dealer has reached out to Ford to see about getting a replacement rear rim.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
How should it fit?
Just like the driverā€™s side. Even with 305 tires, they should be flush with the wells.
Put a spacer on the driver's side. Problem solved.
OK, what am I missing? Isn't the passenger side wheel (11") correct. If so then the driver side (10.5) isn't correct. Or is it tire stretch on the 10.5" rim?

OP
OP
Fly2High

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
The rear wheel on the passenger side is a 19" x 10.5" 24mm offset (the incorrect rim). The rear wheel on the driver's side is a 19" x 11" 48mm offset (proper factory rear rim). The tire valve proves this to be the case.

Even though the passenger side is a 1/2" small in width, it has less positive offset. Positive offset can be thought of as tucking the wheel in deeper into the wheel well. Since 24mm is about 1", and the wheel is 1/2" narrower (only half of the width goes to a given side since it is split evenly about the mounting), the smaller width rim will stick out about 3/4" which is what I am seeing.

On the driver's side, the rim is 'tucked' into the wheel well 48mm or about 2 inches further. Since the rim is 1/2 wider, about 1 3/4" is tucked into the wheel well so the tier sits more or less flush with the quarter panel.

Here is a calculator (https://www.tire-size-calculator.info/)
Enter this information and they will provide a photo showing the differences.

Original wheel (this is the stock wheels on 19x11 rims):
Width: 305
ratio: 30
diameter: 19
wheel width: 11
offset: 48
spacer: 0

New Tire (this is the incorrectly installed 19x10.5 rim on the passenger rear):
wheel width: 10.5
offset: 24

I entered them into the calculator and got the following:

PP2 - Affect Of Front RIm mounted on the Rear.jpg

You can see that the inset is a negative 1.19" which means the new rims(which I entered the incorrectly mounted 19x10.5 here) with the same tires will stick out 1.19" further than the original and all I did was change the parameters to a 1/2" narrower rim with 24mm offset

Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
The rear wheel on the passenger side is a 19" x 10.5" 24mm offset. The rear wheel on the driver's side is a 19" x 11" 48mm offset.

Even though the passenger side is a 1/2" small in width, it has less positive offset. Positive offset can be thought of as tucking the wheel in deeper into the wheel well. Since 24mm is about 1", and the wheel is 1/2" narrower (only half of the width goes to a given side since it is split evenly about the mounting), the smaller width rim will stick out about 3/4" which is what I am seeing.

On the driver's side, the rim is 'tucked' into the wheel well 48mm or about 2 inches further. Since the rim is 1/2 wider, about 1 3/4" is tucked into the wheel well so the tier sits more or less flush with the quarter panel.

Here is a calculator (https://www.tire-size-calculator.info/)
Enter this information and they will provide a photo showing the differences.

Original wheel:
wheel width: 11
offset: 48

New Tire:
wheel width: 10.5
offset: 24

I entered them into the calculator and got the following:

PP2 - Affect Of Front RIm mounted on the Rear.jpg

You can see that the inset is a negative 1.19" which means the new rims with the same tires will stick out 1.19" further than the original and all I did was change the parameters to a 1/2" narrower rim with 24mm offset
Duh!!!! Thanks Frank. Wasn't considering the offset.

OP
OP
Fly2High

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
No problem. I am sure there are others who had a hard time understanding but did not speak up. I myself estimated incorrectly the amount the tire would stick out. I forgot to use the calculator to do the math.

This also goes to show why you cannot mount the front tires on the back without them sticking out and possibly causing some slight driving issues. For daily driving, I barely noticed it on smooth pavement. Only when it was with cracks or repairs did it move out on me, sometimes feeling like it was going to jump out of the lane. Thank God nothing happened and I never tracked the car. I would expect it would show more at higher speeds. Conversely, the rear rim cannot be mounted on the front because it is wider AND wants to be tucked deeper into the wheel well. I would think it could strike the shock or something being into the well more. This could be why they do not recommend a spare for the car and why the recommend. when one is used on other GTs, to keep the speed under 55mph. I am still toying with the idea of getting a spare and just being smart - using it to get home or a tire center for repairing a flat, etc.

I will post when the dealer gets back to me about the rim

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
Really shouldn't be that much poke on a 11" wheel either. Mine has less poke with 325's on 11" wheels. I assume the 10.5" wheel is on the right rear.
Did you buy it used?
48405947_10155614645371580_8372993891208527872_n.jpg

OP
OP
Fly2High

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
No problem. I am sure there are others who had a hard time understanding but did not speak up. I myself estimated incorrectly the amount the tire would stick out. I forgot to use the calculator to do the math.

This also goes to show why you cannot mount the front tires on the back without them sticking out and possibly causing some slight driving issues. For daily driving, I barely noticed it on smooth pavement. Only when it was with cracks or repairs did it move out on me, sometimes feeling like it was going to jump out of the lane. Thank God nothing happened and I never tracked the car. I would expect it would show more at higher speeds. Conversely, the rear rim cannot be mounted on the front because it is wider AND wants to be tucked deeper into the wheel well. I would think it could strike the shock or something being into the well more. This could be why they do not recommend a spare for the car and why the recommend. when one is used on other GTs, to keep the speed under 55mph. I am still toying with the idea of getting a spare and just being smart - using it to get home or a tire center for repairing a flat, etc.

Really shouldn't be that much poke on a 11" wheel either. Mine has less poke with 325's on 11" wheels. I assume the 10.5" wheel is on the right rear.
Did you buy it used?
48405947_10155614645371580_8372993891208527872_n.jpg
no.
I purchased it new from a dealer with 32 miles on it. this is definitely a factory mistake.

You are correct. The 10.5" wheel is on the passenger side.

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0

no.
I purchased it new from a dealer with 32 miles on it. this is definitely a factory mistake.

You are correct. The 10.5" wheel is on the passenger side.
Must be a Monday/Friday build.
Sponsored