Sponsored

What is Considered "High Mileage" or Life Expectancy of the Coyote?

OP
OP
crimson_crowd_eater

crimson_crowd_eater

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I found a car that has everyone beat, including myself... A 2019 CS with 29,000 miles.
How they did that many miles I don't even know.
Sponsored

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
I found a car that has everyone beat, including myself... A 2019 CS with 29,000 miles.
How they did that many miles I don't even know.
Fleet vehicles. Especially an employee who travels often.

Thub

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 6 speed
My 2018 6 speed just cracked 26k, with 4 track days and a trip to the drag strip in its past. I change the oil when the life monitor gets around 30% (~6-7k miles) using the factory motorcraft synthetic blend. I have zero oil consumption and no concerns about putting another 100k or more on it.
I did replace the fluids in the trans and rear diff out of concern for heat on the track, but otherwise everything is stock.
Keep in mind, the mustang is just a bunch of truck/ van parts stuck under a lighter body. Would you think twice about taking an F150 to 100 or 200K?

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
My 2018 6 speed just cracked 26k, with 4 track days and a trip to the drag strip in its past. I change the oil when the life monitor gets around 30% (~6-7k miles) using the factory motorcraft synthetic blend. I have zero oil consumption and no concerns about putting another 100k or more on it.
I did replace the fluids in the trans and rear diff out of concern for heat on the track, but otherwise everything is stock.
Keep in mind, the mustang is just a bunch of truck/ van parts stuck under a lighter body. Would you think twice about taking an F150 to 100 or 200K?
Why are people aiming so low? 100k miles on a car built these days? Are you kidding me? Any car short of a Mitsubishi Mirage(POS) should make it to 100k miles easily. Most should make it to 200k miles with proper maintenance. This isn't the 19xxs anymore... Reliability goes waaaay up when you have computers monitoring everything. Some people call it complex, I call it reliable.

Thub

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 6 speed
Why are people aiming so low? 100k miles on a car built these days? Are you kidding me? Any car short of a Mitsubishi Mirage(POS) should make it to 100k miles easily. Most should make it to 200k miles with proper maintenance. This isn't the 19xxs anymore... Reliability goes waaaay up when you have computers monitoring everything. Some people call it complex, I call it reliable.
Personally, I figure past 100k or so is where the unscheduled maintenance will begin to ramp up due to parts beginning to actually wear out, and I don't have the option of telling my boss or my customers I can't show up because my car is in the shop.

Sponsored

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
Personally, I figure past 100k or so is where the unscheduled maintenance will begin to ramp up due to parts beginning to actually wear out, and I don't have the option of telling my boss or my customers I can't show up because my car is in the shop.
Haha, hey boss, the Mustang exploded. If you get me the GT500, I hear it's much more reliable than the other Mustang I had. :crackup:

I hear ya though. If it's a company vehicle, I wouldn't go over 100k miles either. But some of the people on here trade cars like they trade spit with their girlfriends and wives(often, maybe even a little dirty). "Hey guys, I'm trading my 2019 Mustang with 2k miles in for a 2020 Mustang." Ha.

AlphaCoyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT w/ PP, 2018 Honda Accord 1.5 Sport
Mine just hit 75k miles last week. I do my oil changes every 5k miles and always use Mobil 1 Full Synthetic. She runs like a champ!

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
While this may be true with perfect conditions (light to medium use, mild climate, and miles accumulated within 5-7 years), I don't see it happening when you are pushing the car hard for most of its life.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
While this may be true with perfect conditions (light to medium use, mild climate, and miles accumulated within 5-7 years), I don't see it happening when you are pushing the car hard for most of its life.
You saw my picture earlier of the Mustang with 250k miles on a tuned Gen 1 Coyote right? These engines will last a long time and ask(politely?) for more abuse.

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
You saw my picture earlier of the Mustang with 250k miles on a tuned Gen 1 Coyote right? These engines will last a long time and ask(politely?) for more abuse.
I am just saying that is more of the exception rather than the norm. I work with endurance test parts during the development phase. I also occasionally receive some field examples. I can always tell when an engine has been pushed hard for the duration of the test. If a vehicle has 100k miles all highway, the parts look very good. 100k miles of short trips and high load, and the parts have very high wear.

Sponsored

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
I am just saying that is more of the exception rather than the norm. I work with endurance test parts during the development phase. I also occasionally receive some field examples. I can always tell when an engine has been pushed hard for the duration of the test. If a vehicle has 100k miles all highway, the parts look very good. 100k miles of short trips and high load, and the parts have very high wear.
I don't believe that's the exception when it comes to the Coyote motors. Yes, of course, you know more than I do when it comes to this subject, but Ford didn't use just any parts in the Coyote motor. How do parts meant to take a lot of abuse stack up compared to parts from a econobox for example? Wouldn't parts from a Coyote sustain abuse for a much longer time?

Also, another question for you. How old and what kind of vehicles parts do you do endurance tests for? Or that you get field examples from?

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
I don't believe that's the exception when it comes to the Coyote motors. Yes, of course, you know more than I do when it comes to this subject, but Ford didn't use just any parts in the Coyote motor. How do parts meant to take a lot of abuse stack up compared to parts from a econobox for example? Wouldn't parts from a Coyote sustain abuse for a much longer time?
We really don't do anything special for sports cars vs family cars, as the FI equipment manufacturer. Things like clutches, drive shafts, and gears are overbuilt for performance vehicles, but the fuel systems are pretty much the same. I have no expectations that my car will run 200k+ miles. I will be happy to see 100k. The nature of these cars, as performance vehicles, means they will have increased wear. The engineers do what they can to mitigate this, but cost always limits perfecting the system. If you babied the car normally, and only drove hard at the track every once in a while, I think it would last a long time. The main factor is how often you have it in high load and high engine speeds.
In my case, I am pretty hard on the car every time I drive it. I didn't buy it to have as a 200k mile daily driver. I have a truck for that duty. :)

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
We really don't do anything special for sports cars vs family cars, as the FI equipment manufacturer. Things like clutches, drive shafts, and gears are overbuilt for performance vehicles, but the fuel systems are pretty much the same. I have no expectations that my car will run 200k+ miles. I will be happy to see 100k. The nature of these cars, as performance vehicles, means they will have increased wear. The engineers do what they can to mitigate this, but cost always limits perfecting the system. If you babied the car normally, and only drove hard at the track every once in a while, I think it would last a long time. The main factor is how often you have it in high load and high engine speeds.
In my case, I am pretty hard on the car every time I drive it. I didn't buy it to have as a 200k mile daily driver. I have a truck for that duty. :)
Thanks for explaining. Mine sees short bursts of high load as it sees the 1/8 and 1/4 a bit. Also, spirited driving on the country roads here in NC. Mine is a part time daily as I also have a Jeep I drive regularly as well. Road course? Not so much for me. I'm at 75k miles now and the biggest problem was a leaking water pump(Hopefully they changed the design of the water pumps as I believe they were failing prematurely). I hope and believe my car can make it to 200k miles without any serious repair. Knocking on wood of course lol.

I like the 2018+ GTs, but want them to be out for awhile longer before I'm convinced they don't have any issues with DI or the plasma liners. So far so good from what I can tell.

Peter15051

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT (Roush Supercharger)
There are tons of 150k + coyotes, I seen a few 200k on the FB pages..

For me high mileage is 30k though haha. Last 2 cars were traded at less then 25k, but I only put 5-7k a year on my cars due to working from home.

Edit: like stated above, maintenance is the most important factor in making anything last. A car that’s beat on reasonably but maintained regularly is going to last a lot longer then a car that’s driven normally but never maintained.
I know this is an old thread. This statement is true, even if you drive the car hard, if you perform all recommended maintenance on time, with quality parts/fluids, you'll find that your car will last you a very long time. Also, while doing regular maintenance a good tech will look to spot things that may be starting to fail and alert you to them to get them fixed before a costly unexpected repair occurs while driving home on the freeway.
Sponsored