Sponsored

2019 Oil Usage

johnny1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Had new a 16 GT350 and 17 GT350
I quite agree with you and don't believe I stated anywhere that I expected no oil usage. I don't think anyone would be unhappy at one quart per 5000 mile oil change. So if that is what the new engines are getting, it would be nice to know that. That would then beg the question of what was different on the previous engines and what Ford did to correct it. Some have suggested from pre-19 threads that one quart per 1000 mile was acceptable for an engine of this caliber yet if Ford changed something and that is no longer happening then maybe Ford didn't think it was acceptable. Aren't you curious to know if that correction occurred and what that change was?
I totally agree with this. My 16 and 17 used a quart every 3,000 from new and were daily driven and never tracked. And we all got that letter from Ford saying it was acceptable to use a quart every 500 miles. That was to cover there butt. They know there was an internal problem and they weren't talking. But even though Ford replaces these engines instead of having specially trained mechanics to work on the GT 350 you take it down to your local Ford dealership and pray the guy changing out your engine (oh thats after the cars been there forever) knows what the hell he's doing and gets everything back together right and don't scratch up your beautiful new GT 350 in the process. And if your lucky you'll have 10 quarts of oil in it like your supposed to. Where I bought mine in service they had no idea about working on the GT 350 verses the GT. First oil change I told them be sure 10 quarts and they looked at me as if shocked.
Sponsored

Bcobb85

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
I quite agree with you and don't believe I stated anywhere that I expected no oil usage. I don't think anyone would be unhappy at one quart per 5000 mile oil change. So if that is what the new engines are getting, it would be nice to know that. That would then beg the question of what was different on the previous engines and what Ford did to correct it. Some have suggested from pre-19 threads that one quart per 1000 mile was acceptable for an engine of this caliber yet if Ford changed something and that is no longer happening then maybe Ford didn't think it was acceptable. Aren't you curious to know if that correction occurred and what that change was?
Just my 2 cents but I think alot of the changes that have been made over the years are less in the mindset of fixing an issue and more in the mindset of fixing complaints. A good example of this is the oil filter change. The 15 to early 17 spin on filter was purpose built/designed for the GT350. But because the customers were having issues with them not being torqued properly, Ford switched to the cartridge filter that is the same as the one used in F150s. Which can be argued was not as good since Ford has since revised it again for better filtration. The same theory could be applied to the oil usage. Ford designed the Voodoo to use low tension piston rings which generate less friction (more power) but, depending on how its driven, can consume more oil. So with people bitching about oil consumption, perhaps Ford changed to a tighter ring with more friction to reduce oil consumption? The real question is, which motor do you want; one that is more race inspired but requires the maintenance hassles of a race engine OR one that has been dumbed down a little to alleviate some of the maintenance headaches? It seems that Ford thinks customers want the latter.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Letimately yes. I would like to know why some burn like gasoline in a wild fire. Then there's early engines like mine that are tight as a drum. Frankly I still am of the notion that because I broke my car in on autocross, my rings seated well and I have no issues. I get the FEELING (zero empirical data behind this though) that those who womped on their engines early on have less issues. Those who "broke their car in" by rubbing it with a diaper aren't so fortunate.

mustang123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
I got my 19 as a CPO, came with 26k miles. Car is DD, but I do at least a couple of hard pulls every day. Occasionally I take it on some twisty roads and drive the crap out of it for 30 min. I lose 1 qt every 3000 miles or so under normal driving conditions. I have noticed losing 1 at after 30 min of hard driving. I use OEM Motorcraft Synthetic Blend

Last edited:

newmoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Cobra, 10 SS, 12 392, 12 5.0
2019 here approx. 1000 miles, no oil usage thus far. Maybe I am not driving it hard enough :)

Sponsored

vwite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I got my 19 as a CPO, came with 26k miles. Car is DD, but I do at least a couple of hard pulls every day. Occasionally I take it on some twisty roads and drive the crap out of it for 30 min. I lose 1 qt every 3000 miles or so under normal driving conditions. I have noticed losing 1 at after 30 min of hard driving. I use OEM Motorcraft Synthetic Blend
Hi, I know it's been a while but do you still have this issue? I'm almost in the exact same scenario, I redline it at least once everytime I drive it and I lose 1 qt every 2500-3000 mi. Dealership is saying it's normal but maybe just to try to get rid of me. I'm also at 26k miles now.

03reptile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
I now have 10,500 miles on my 2019 and still no oil consumption. I do not baby this car by any means and so far it is bullet proof1

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
I have heard some of the oil usage is associated with downshifting and engine breaking. Not sure there is any proof.

lenFeb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Len
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 #K0110
Depends on the oil used. For example, my '19 used 0.5 qt of Motorcraft oil in 3500 ml. Not a drop when use Amsoli. My previous and current cars(specifically turbo and super charged engines) all burn oil in some extend.

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I have heard some of the oil usage is associated with downshifting and engine breaking. Not sure there is any proof.
This applies to older generation engines where the valve guide seals or the rings are already weak. It creates a fairly high vacuum in the intake tract that can suck oil past the various seals into the intake or the cylinder. Thing is, modern ECU's open the throttle a bit when you use engine braking. It keeps the engine within the emissions targets.

The effect is more obvious on some engines than on others - my 2011 Mustang GT 5.0 simply wouldn't slow down if you lifted off the throttle. Other engines are better. One of the features of the Boss 302 "track key" was that the track version of the calibration was supposed to deliver better engine braking than the non-track tune.
Sponsored