Sponsored

Removed the clutch assist spring, unsure if its better.

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
It's an odd feeling. My clutch normally disengaged with very little push to it, now it feels like it MAYBE moves 1/2-1in before its fully out. I drove around and its just an odd feeling compared to how it was before. It was vague before but now its like a switch. I feel like as soon as I've asserted pressure its time to let off. I'm also not sure how I like that there is a very tiny bit of play at the top now. Makes me wonder if it may end up adding a tiny bit of extra wear. It still doesn't feel like either of my previous manual cars.

How do those of you with the Steeda spring like it? I'm wondering if its a happy middle ground.
Sponsored

TLW1022

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt K3464
I wasn't sure at first, after a few days I really like it

Give it a few days

OP
OP

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
I wasn't sure at first, after a few days I really like it

Give it a few days
I plan to. I ordered the Steeda as I need a new perch anyway, mine cracked. I'll see how it grows on me. It's just that I think I expected a bit more of a grab/slip feeling.

Silver Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Coupe PP2
I bought the Steeda clutch spring and perch when my car was new. Almost 11K miles now and I've never tried it. I've actually gotten used to the stock spring and don't mind it at all.

Sponsored

TLW1022

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt K3464
I also have the Clutch Pedal Extender. Doesn't change the engagement but it does let met sit in a more comfortable position

ModularKid21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜15 GT
Vehicle Showcase
The previous owner of my car had an extender installed, as well as the spring removed. After I brought it home, the first thing I did was take the extender off and ordered the Steeda clutch spring. I consider myself good at driving a manual trans (donā€™t we all haha) but when test driving stock mustangs, I couldnā€™t seem to ā€œnail downā€ smooth engagement. The lighter spring makes it so much better. I think youā€™ll learn to like it after a week or two

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 2020 Explorer Limited
I agree with the others about it taking time to get used to the Steeda spring. Now that I know EXACTLY where the superfast engagement is, I'm actually thinking of trying the oem spring again. I think you will like it after a while.

Silver Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Coupe PP2
I agree with the others about it taking time to get used to the Steeda spring. Now that I know EXACTLY where the superfast engagement is, I'm actually thinking of trying the oem spring again. I think you will like it after a while.
Would like to hear your feedback on that if you do it. I've heard swapping the Steeda spring for the stock is pretty easy, but going back the other way is quite a bit harder since the stock spring is so much heavier.

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 2020 Explorer Limited
Would like to hear your feedback on that if you do it. I've heard swapping the Steeda spring for the stock is pretty easy, but going back the other way is quite a bit harder since the stock spring is so much heavier.
I removed the spring in my 2011 GT and put it back in. That was before the Steeda springs were available. It's virtually the same setup. You can get it back in, just takes that needle nosed vice grips to do it.

Sponsored

TheSnowmanMafia

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium
I bought the Steeda clutch spring and perch when my car was new. Almost 11K miles now and I've never tried it. I've actually gotten used to the stock spring and don't mind it at all.
You're doing yourself a disservice. The stock spring is progressive whereas the Steeda one is linear.

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KB GT, 401A, 6MT, PP1, S&S, MR, AE, B&O / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
I'm also not sure how I like that there is a very tiny bit of play at the top now. Makes me wonder if it may end up adding a tiny bit of extra wear.
That's not an unfounded worry. The pedal arc is such the the stock spring unloads the pedal and pushes it away from the throwout bearing when your foot is off it. Without the spring, the pedal weight could be riding on the bearing. Is that enough to cause a problem? Beats the hell out of me.

Silver Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Coupe PP2
You're doing yourself a disservice. The stock spring is progressive whereas the Steeda one is linear.
I really have no issues with the stock clutch feel. My wife drives it too, and I'm not sure she would like a heavier feeling clutch. I had an LS7 clutch in my GTO and she complained a few times how hard it was to push in. I do need to give it a try I guess. I've heard many more positive reviews than negative ones.

OP
OP

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
That's not an unfounded worry. The pedal arc is such the the stock spring unloads the pedal and pushes it away from the throwout bearing when your foot is off it. Without the spring, the pedal weight could be riding on the bearing. Is that enough to cause a problem? Beats the hell out of me.
I had play in my old 2003 clutch peddle also, but that was a different mechanism.