Sponsored

C8 just got crushed and humiliated by the GT500

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
For comparison the new GTR Nismo weights 3865 lbs with awd. I don’t see a 4200 lbs rwd car handling like a featherweight boxer.
The GTR is a 12 year old platform no less. Well at least the GT500's is only 15 year old. Props for wringing as much out of the old girl as they have. Here's to the S650 at least catching up to the C8/Alpha/Audi platform. Maybe Ford will figure out how to mount the transmission in the back (not exactly a novel concept) and restore some fore/aft balance.
Sponsored

ALUSA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
AL
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP, 2017 Cadillac CTS 2.0T AWD
A miata could whip both around a small, tight enough track, as could the GT350. On a tight enough track, a C7 corvette would destroy the C8. Tests have already shown the C8 to be less capable in the corners. It's main advantage is it's ability to put it's power down coming out of the corners due to it's weight distribution.

Around most major tracks, the GT500 is going to flat out destroy the C8. It has been compared to the Porsche GT3 and Viper ACR (by reviewers) in it's track prowess. Remember this snippet from Jason Cammisa who was part of that Road and Track article you posted?

"And around a racetrack, the Corvette wouldn’t have a chance. Not in speeds, laptimes, or handling behavior. I know, I've driven one. But that’s still a comparison test that needs to be done — because if initial impressions are to be trusted, the real performance bargain for 2020 isn’t the C8 Corvette, it’s the new Ford Mustang Shelby GT500."

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/10/29/2020-ford-shelby-gt500-first-drive/
Autoblog? When did Autoblog become a reputable review? Go watch Matt Farah's drive review. There is something fishy going on with the reviews since first everyone Wows the C8 and then comes back and say ohh by the way it was not that good. Something is off there. By the way the C8 handles better than the C7. Stop comparing it to the C7. It already lapped faster in a comparison test same day same driver. So your C7 comparison doesn't make sense. Being an engineer do you really believe the 4200 lbs is going to defy physics? Ask yourself that question. The car is damn too heavy to be a road coarse warrior and needs lighter wheels and carbon fiber bits to reduce the weight as much as it can. If you think a 4200 lbs car can hang with a Porsche GT3 and Viper ACR around a race track you should probably re-evaluate career ( I hope you are not talking about that youtube video with the small track with 1/3 of the track being a very long stretch). Keep in mind that the C8 still has the base engine and can be bought for 65 grand with the Z51 package. The base ZO6 version with 90 grand price tag is going to dominate not just the competition but a blow to the exotic hyper cars as well.

ALUSA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
AL
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP, 2017 Cadillac CTS 2.0T AWD
The GTR is a 12 year old platform no less. Well at least the GT500's is only 15 year old. Props for wringing as much out of the old girl as they have. Here's to the S650 at least catching up to the C8/Alpha/Audi platform. Maybe Ford will figure out how to mount the transmission in the back (not exactly a novel concept) and restore some fore/aft balance.
That GTR has been updated. It is the fastest current GTR with the 600 HP Nismo Edition plus AWD. Beating it on a road coarse is one hell of a job. Remember the reviews are also with the loaded C8 with the Z51 package. A 1lt Z51 with lower weight should put down better times. Nobody has tested a 1lt Z51 package which already has a better interior than a top of the line GT500.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Autoblog? When did Autoblog become a reputable review? Go watch Matt Farah's drive review. There is something fishy going on with the reviews since first everyone Wows the C8 and then comes back and say ohh by the way it was not that good. Something is off there.
Autoblog doesn’t review, but people actually do. Had you read the article, you would have noticed it was written by Jason Cammisa. Yes, the same Jason that use to write for Motortrend and the same Jason who helped review the C8 for the Road and Track article you previously posted. What you are missing is that as good as the C8 is, the GT500 is just flat out better.

By the way the C8 handles better than the C7. Stop comparing it to the C7. It already lapped faster in a comparison test same day same driver. So your C7 comparison doesn't make sense.
You mean this comparison where the C8 was wearing MUCH improved PS4S tires (that have been shown to significantly improve lap time?)

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a29431246/chevrolet-corvette-c8-vs-c7/

1 Second factor around Gratten which can easily be attributed to tires alone. Folks on the corvette forums are aware of this and are not impressed.

Here is a good article for you:

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/che...rolet-corvette-stingray-c8-first-test-review/

Some notables to not ignore:

“With it, the C8 Z51 pulled 1.04 average lateral g on the skidpad—which is actually less than a C7 Z51, which pulled as much as 1.11 average lateral g on the Pilot Super Sports that preceded the Pilot 4S.”

So the C7 had better breaking with lesser tires.

“There's more to the story, though. Although the C8 struggles for grip midcorner, it dwarfs the C7's ability to put down power coming off the corner; the ultra-quick transmission and extra power conspire to reduce the time between corners.”

Interesting no? I stand by my previous statement, on tight tracks the C8 will likely be out handled by the C7.

Being an engineer do you really believe the 4200 lbs is going to defy physics? Ask yourself that question. The car is damn too heavy to be a road coarse warrior and needs lighter wheels and carbon fiber bits to reduce the weight as much as it can. If you think a 4200 lbs car can hang with a Porsche GT3 and Viper ACR around a race track you should probably re-evaluate career ( I hope you are not talking about that youtube video with the small track with 1/3 of the track being a very long stretch). Keep in mind that the C8 still has the base engine and can be bought for 65 grand with the Z51 package. The base ZO6 version with 90 grand price tag is going to dominate not just the competition but a blow to the exotic hyper cars as well.
Why do you folks always seem to think the law of physics have to be broken? As long as they vehicles dynamics are setup to not exceed the available friction force of the tires, there is nothing stopping a 4200lb car from exceeding the performance of a 3500lb car. Everyone spouting “But Physics” has no clue what’s going on. Will tires wear faster? Absolutely. Will brakes wear more? For sure! But that won’t stop these cars from outperforming. Weight is only but one factor. Ignoring all other is just....well, ignorance.

Here is another good snippet from a different article.

“When we did this work we certainly set targets as up as uplifts relative to GT350,” Ed explained. “From a performance perspective we certainly looked at all the Camaro derivatives, including the ZL1 ILE and from the powertrain functionality perspective we spent a lot of time in Porsche GT3s and Mercedes AMG GT Rs.”

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/supercar-slaying-700-horsepower-2020-shelby-gt500-debuts-in-detroit/

Laststandard

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Vehicle Showcase
it’s the underdog because of its 4-seat pony car platform. Even if you remove 2 seats from the back it’s still a four seat platform. The vette is a two seater from the ground up. It’s always been a sports car. Now it has gained the layout GM has dreamed of for decades. That’s an uphill battle for an Everyman pony car four seat platform that starts as a Sub 30k four cylinder car it ever there was one. The 500 is punching well above it’s weight and is really doing a remarkable job.

It costs more because ford figures they can charge more for the faster and more powerful car. And GM doesn’t want to look bad with a more expensive vette getting beaten by a Mustang.

KR? I’m not the only one talking about it. There will be one. It will be phenomenal.
Ahh yes, the 90k 'everyman' pony car. And are you alluding that GM priced the C8 based on what the GT500 was going to cost? Can you please share some of the drugs you're on?

A google search for Shelby GT500KR shows nothing other than 2008 and 1968.. so you must have some insider info. Please share.

Sponsored

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
it’s the underdog because of its 4-seat pony car platform. Even if you remove 2 seats from the back it’s still a four seat platform. The vette is a two seater from the ground up. It’s always been a sports car. Now it has gained the layout GM has dreamed of for decades. That’s an uphill battle for an Everyman pony car four seat platform that starts as a Sub 30k four cylinder car it ever there was one. The 500 is punching well above it’s weight and is really doing a remarkable job.

It costs more because ford figures they can charge more for the faster and more powerful car. And GM doesn’t want to look bad with a more expensive vette getting beaten by a Mustang.

KR? I’m not the only one talking about it. There will be one. It will be phenomenal.
Actually, I think GM made a genius move in pricing the 2020 C8 Stingray the way they did. I am being very specific about the model year and nameplate for a reason. You’ll see in a minute.

GM has had a concern about launching the mid-engine car and alienating the core Corvette ownership, most of whom buy Stingrays and option them up. The hardcore drivers drive Grand Sport or Z06 and will understand the improvements to be gained from mid-engine configuration.

The original plan for dealing with the core Corvette owners was to continue to build C7 alongside C8, overlapping for a couple years. That way core Corvette owners could still get their front engine car and the performance drivers could get the mid-engine. Sometime after I retired in 2017 I did hear that the plan had changed and that C7 would end when C8 came in. What I did not hear (or at least didn’t believe the parts that I did hear) was that the plan would be to offer the C8 Stingray at about $5k above the cost of the C7 Stingray.

During the proposal to build the mid-engine car, Tadge told leadership that the cost difference to produce the mid-engine car would be only about $5k over the cost to produce the front-engine car. Apparently he stuck to his word and allowed for the pricing of the mid-engine car to only come in at the cost difference between the two. From what I understand, this is for model year 2020 only. After that, expect the price of 2021 Stingray to go up. I was shocked that the 2020 Stingray price is so low. I’ll definitely be interested in seeing what the pricing for the model that gets the 5.5L FPC DOHC will be. Not sure if that will be a Grand Sport, a Z06 or both (at different power levels.).

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
I’ll definitely be interested in seeing what the pricing is for the model that gets the 5.5L FPC DOHC will be. Not sure if that will be a Grand Sport, a Z06 or both (at different power levels.).
Indeed. I'm thinking it's going to command a larger premium than the last Z06.

Rjames18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
RJ
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10 Orange Fury
One thing I didn't see mentioned is that quarter mile time isn't something to compare when looking at the horspower. Saying the C8 ran 11.1 vs 10.6 but not mentioning it was 123mph vs 133mph?? Trap speed is what shows horsepower. 10mph difference is HUGE. Think about the difference of a stock mustang GT and a tuned GT. Most stock 2018+ GT's are running about 116mph-118mph and tuned 18's are running 123-125. Not even a 10mph difference but on the track it is a significant difference.
Even more so for a car that is also 600lbs heavier. C8 weights 3600 vs 4200 I think is what I remember the base model gt500's being.

Laststandard

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Vehicle Showcase
10MPH?! It's almost like the GT500 has 265 more horsepower or something!

:D

Rjames18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
RJ
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10 Orange Fury

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
600 extra pounds =~ subtract 85HP from claimed. So holding the 2 cars weighed "the same", the GT500 had 265-85=180HP advantage. Does 150-180HP adequately explain a 0.5'ish difference in ET? (assuming the surfaces and tires were identical which of course they weren't!)

NOTE the HP being used is crank, instead of wheel which is the ONLY correct number to use but alas nobody has published a rear-wheel dyno run worth a damn on either car. So the delta is probably ~150. Furthermore what we need are average HP generated during the run, not the simplistic 'maximum' number.

Basically all comparisons to date using claimed numbers are 100% USDA certified bull shite.

Tickitty Tock

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 Kona Blue
This threads retarded. Ford finally released the numbers and the fanboys are back to comparing halo mustang #s to a BASE trim C8.

Wait until the Grand Sport, Z06, and ZR1 comes.

Keep drinking that koolaide. Only thing Ford has in the same league as a C8 is their 450k GT.

Yo did this fool really compare a base corvette to a Le Mans race winning car ? Lol good troll

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE

Laststandard

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike