Sponsored

New Brakes $3k... is there a better way

MikeR397

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford GT350R & Raptor; Ferrari 360, Aston Martin Vantage, Porsche Cayenne GTS, Jaguar XFR
Someone needs to buy those and share photos of them
I get oem front pads on eBay from ford dealers all day for $236 before ebucks and cahsback all day long. $250 is not a “steal”
Sponsored

MikeR397

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford GT350R & Raptor; Ferrari 360, Aston Martin Vantage, Porsche Cayenne GTS, Jaguar XFR
Yes sir! There are also several parts which are designated single use. I know that's often a scam to make a few bucks, but I'm not going to cut corners. I want to have confidence that the car is properly sorted out. Thanks again to everyone for the assists.
I reused the caliper bolts fine the first time. You want a 250lb big torque wrench and be careful. Tried to reuse a second time and got like 15ftlbs less torque than the 136 spec iirc before they started stripping/slipping. It was enough to wear out the pads again, but the caliperfexjon studs went in next time. the aluminum knuckle is not a great high traffic area for that much torque, and I did 5 sets of front pad changes this track season (which is why I’m also switching from oem to st43).

95CobraR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doc
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 K1868
Vehicle Showcase
Yes sir! There are also several parts which are designated single use.
Thanks for the new parts swap detail.

I agree as I never cut corners as to the quality of the parts on my cars.

MikeR397

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Here are the picture and part number.

Front Right
CENTRIC 128.61121

Front Left
CENTRIC 128.61122

If you look at the picture they are same as OEM with even ford part number on the actual rotors. I believe these are oem rotors repackaged sold under centric. I bought set of front powerstop rotors for my hellcat and when i opened it it was Mopar original part.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ceb-128-61122/

https://www.carid.com/centric/sport...nt-driver-side-brake-rotor-mpn-128-61122.html
I am curious if this is true. $180 is a great price, not that the $250 I paid for the new flat rotors is bad at all for a rotor this size.

ford does the same with their ford performance air filter is like 25% cheaper if you buy it as air raid — which I did, and it still comes in a ford performance box!

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I get oem front pads on eBay from ford dealers all day for $236 before ebucks and cahsback all day long. $250 is not a “steal”
Was referring to the rotors not the pads. All OEM pads are a robbery compared to the ST43s anyways :)

I reused the caliper bolts fine the first time. You want a 250lb big torque wrench and be careful. Tried to reuse a second time and got like 15ftlbs less torque than the 136 spec iirc before they started stripping/slipping. It was enough to wear out the pads again, but the caliperfexjon studs went in next time. the aluminum knuckle is not a great high traffic area for that much torque, and I did 5 sets of front pad changes this track season (which is why I’m also switching from oem to st43).
Please don't reuse TTY bolts on your brakes. On top of that, aluminum threads are not great to stress over and over. There's a reason FPRS uses the caliperfexion studs :)

Sponsored

oldbmwfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Please don't reuse TTY bolts on your brakes. On top of that, aluminum threads are not great to stress over and over. There's a reason FPRS uses the caliperfexion studs :)
Quoted for emphasis. Giant steel bolt into aluminum threads was a terrible cost-cutting move at Ford. Either do the studs (preferred) or timesert the threads in the knuckle.

Niz55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
If you decide to buy the whole kit with calipers summit has it for $2200 and some change. I will buy the Calipers from you for $800 shipped to socal.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
It might not have been a step by step, but my HR361 thread had a brake job or two. It's not difficult, take your time.

If you have any specific question, let me know.

OP
OP
eric n

eric n

HNIC/Head Ninja in Charge
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ericnolan.com
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
16 Shelby RR B&W stripes GT350 G0249
As JT1 advised, I received my parts from Autonation white bear lake, GREAT PRICES. My buddies shop undercut ford by a couple of hundred on labor and I'm out the door just under 2k. I opted to replace everything, for me the piece of mind is worth the $$$. Thanks for all of the input. This site and it's awesome members have proven an outstanding resource.
Sponsored

Last edited: