Sponsored

Who is happy with the "supplied" FI tune?

schmeky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Does not matter what FI you run, centri or PD. The question is who is really happy with the supplied tune? Any problems, such as surging, hesitation, idle issues, or not?

Not interested in "Company A" or "Company B" remote tuned mine, or go dyno tune, want to know who came the closest to, or in fact, got it so it drives with no quirky issues.
Sponsored

moffetts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Whippled 2015 GT PP
Whipple tune is fine. It’s not perfect, but if you want perfectly stock drivability, leave your car alone and use the stock tune. The stage 1 tune was worse than the stage 2 tune; there’s a weird “flat spot” at around 3k that is fairly annoying. Stage 2 is pretty well on point.

Last edited:

96gt4.6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium/A6, 2020 Explorer ST
Whipple stage 1 on a 2017 here.

SUPER picky guy, and novice tuner. Had a lot of boosted LS setups I self tuned, as well as do N/A tunes on the side. Being an OEM tech, I am VERY picky on how something daily drives. My biggest fear with going with a boosted setup on this car was losing the stock like driveability and spending weeks logging and adjusting it back myself.

I will 100% say that from the moment the car was started with the Whipple kit, I have had -0- issues with driveability. Car gets driven in winter and summer, and I have about 8 months now of testing on this kit. This is the supplied tune with the Whipple kit, no revisions. Power was good on the dyno, and I have no complaints whatsoever with anything.

My research before buying a kit had indicated that Whipple seemed to have the best kit on many levels, but something that stuck out on each post I had seen was how good the tuning was, at least for '15-'17 models.

808muscle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium Whipple, 2006 GT Blown and cammed
2016 A6 car, Whipple gen 2 stage 2, whipple tune. Been on the car for 2 years. At one point the TB voltage went out of spec but whipple directed me on how to adjust that and its been fine since. I am told all whipple kits now come with TB guts so you dont transfer over the stock guts anymore so this wont be an issue. I too didnt want to have to datalog at high speeds where I live so getting a whipple kit with their highly rated tune was important to me. I dont see any reason to upgrade the tune as I have no issues with it. Car pulls like a freight train. Had to buy drag radials for street duty just to get some sort of traction.

stanger1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2013 Shelby GT500-Sold, 2017 Roush RS3
2017 Roush RS3, all stock at 670 hp. I have had several high HP cars and trucks.
My last car was a 2013 GT500.
The 17 Roush on the stock phase 1 tune is super crisp and responsive. One of the most responsive cars i have ever had. The stock tires are holding it back big time, but I know some people bag on the stock Roush tuning, but IMO, they did a great job.
I am not even sure if I would want to up grade to the phase 2 tuning.
I have had other cars tuned by several of the big names, and sure they can get more power, but for responsivenes, crisp tuning, this is hard to beat.
This is on an 6R80 , so a good combo.

Sponsored

OP
OP
schmeky

schmeky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Thanks guys, this is exactly the kind of info I am looking for. I realize each car and set up can vary, but the closer to "right" the supplied tune is, the less headache I would imagine to get it dialed in with some datalogging.

rtg

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1+
Vehicle Showcase
I have the Whipple tune on a 2018. I received one of the first kits out. I have been diligent on keeping updated and have seen each revision address even minor issues. Anyone buying a kit now will get a very well behaved tune. I originally chose Whipple for the emissions compliance. I live in a smog test state. If starting over knowing what I know now I would buy the Whipple again.

Rob

Woopaloop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10R80
Does not matter what FI you run, centri or PD. The question is who is really happy with the supplied tune? Any problems, such as surging, hesitation, idle issues, or not?

Not interested in "Company A" or "Company B" remote tuned mine, or go dyno tune, want to know who came the closest to, or in fact, got it so it drives with no quirky issues.
I'm happy with my warranty.

Obviously that means it has to meet CARB requirements, which means part throttle tuning isn't going to be optimal and the tune isn't going to be full out.

But, it still goes very fast when I mash the gas and the gas mileage isn't that bad either. If I had the money to replace the motor I'd get a custom tune, but for now I'm happy.

Sponsored

Rjames18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
RJ
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10 Orange Fury
I got my supplied FI tune from LPF with my LPF twin turbo kit. Tuning was on point and went 9.5 at 147 on my first pass

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
The Roush tunes that come with the turnkey packages they sell have good drive ability. However on the performance side they slack given the potential of the 2300 TVS unit. Protection strategies are in place for a number of things which hamper the performance. Speed limiter is set at 135mph IIRC. Why is that a concern you ask? Because if you are curious about what the car can put down on the dyno the speed limiter will be hit long before the car reaches max RPM limiting the data and your final numbers. Otherwise it isn't an issue other than maybe at a road course track.

Bluelightning

Bluelightning
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lightning Blue 2017 GT350, 2019 F-150 4x4 Ecoboost (Daily)
Vehicle Showcase
My stage 2 Whipple '18 with the Whipple tune was a blast. No issues with drivability. Mine was a manual though, so didn't have to deal with trans tuning. The first version of the tune wasn't perfect, but Whipple kept refining and the last version they released was pretty spot on.

hlfbkd420

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Bilbo Hicks
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT w/ Roush P2 SC, 2015 KIA Sorento SXL
Speed limiter is set at 135mph IIRC. Why is that a concern you ask? Because if you are curious about what the car can put down on the dyno the speed limiter will be hit long before the car reaches max RPM limiting the data and your final numbers.
This is not true on the 18's.. I have the Roush kit on my 18 and it will happily go to 155mph. But, you are correct about the dyno... I dyno'd mine and it kicked in around 6500rpm in 7th gear. (a stock car will do this too)

Regarding drivability, the Roush tune is pretty good. As mentioned above though, it has numerous protection strategies that can prevent you from putting the power to the ground easily.

View media item 15142

DavidHuff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 5.0
I have a 2017 Mustang with the Whipple Stage 2 Kit and the Whipple Tune that came with the kit is perfect and drive like factory stock.
I have taken my car to the track only a few times and the best time is 10.80ET 132MPH.
Whipple customer service is five star!
Sponsored