It's Cold In Flat Rock

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
If your tires get cracked, you get new ones. No big deal. Now, the problem is if Ford decides they don't want to ship the cars because they would be liable to replace the tires...….

Hence the cars sitting in the snow all winter.....

Rs in the snow.jpg
Sponsored

dpAtlanta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 (#K2503), 2017 Cayman
Okay... and now for the rest of the story.

Born in Detroit & traveled SOUTH to Windsor, Canada

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
OP
OP
kilobravo

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
If your tires get cracked, you get new ones.
Tom: You are undoubtedly correct but there are a number of scenarios I can envision that would make it very unpleasant for the customer.

1) Find one small 1/2" split/crack...point it out to the PDI fella. But he doesn't think it's a crack. You go back and forth and ultimately, the Service Manager says, "it's not a crack, no replacement."

2) Same scenario but this time the PDI person agrees as does the Service Manager. "No problem, we'll get you a new tire." You say, "only this one and not all four? They were exposed to the same temperature and moving conditions."

"Sorry, only one is cracked and that's all we're allowed to replace."

3) Same as above but now the store is willing to replace all four BUT...with the frenzy in Dearborn over these tires, how long do you think the vehicle would have to remain at the dealership until FOUR Cup 2's showed up? I think that could be awhile and given that you THOUGHT you were going to pick up the car that day and now you're not makes for a major league bummer.

I hope you see where I'm going with this...i.e., if you do find a crack in a tire, you're probably in for either some serious anger or, serious wait time.

And THEN there's the question as to whether every store has the equipment and skills to mount those tires on carbon wheels. When I had an unexpected road hazard flat in my '14, I took the tire and wheel to the largest Ford dealer in town. Their Service Manager told me that they could not mount the tire and that was on the stock rim so forget about Carbon. Ultimately, she called a friend at BMW who did have the equipment and skills and he offered to do it as a favor to her but I don't know if BMW's equipment was capable of mounting carbon.

Think Ford has spent millions to equip all its stores with mounting machines for carbon wheels? I wouldn't bet my next paycheck on it.

Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Tom: You are undoubtedly correct but there are a number of scenarios I can envision that would make it very unpleasant for the customer.

1) Find one small 1/2" split/crack...point it out to the PDI fella. But he doesn't think it's a crack. You go back and forth and ultimately, the Service Manager says, "it's not a crack, no replacement."

2) Same scenario but this time the PDI person agrees as does the Service Manager. "No problem, we'll get you a new tire." You say, "only this one and not all four? They were exposed to the same temperature and moving conditions."

"Sorry, only one is cracked and that's all we're allowed to replace."

3) Same as above but now the store is willing to replace all four BUT...with the frenzy in Dearborn over these tires, how long do you think the vehicle would have to remain at the dealership until FOUR Cup 2's showed up? I think that could be awhile and given that you THOUGHT you were going to pick up the car that day and now you're not makes for a major league bummer.

I hope you see where I'm going with this...i.e., if you do find a crack in a tire, you're probably in for either some serious anger or, serious wait time.

And THEN there's the question as to whether every store has the equipment and skills to mount those tires on carbon wheels. When I had an unexpected road hazard flat in my '14, I took the tire and wheel to the largest Ford dealer in town. Their Service Manager told me that they could not mount the tire and that was on the stock rim so forget about Carbon. Ultimately, she called a friend at BMW who did have the equipment and skills and he offered to do it as a favor to her but I don't know if BMW's equipment was capable of mounting carbon.

Think Ford has spent millions to equip all its stores with mounting machines for carbon wheels? I wouldn't bet my next paycheck on it.
This is all history repeating itself.

They don't like to replace tires, so that is why they don't ship/manufacture below certain temps. We will see.

I've been down this cracked tire route, and you are right, it is an uphill battle.

Oh, and they guy who I was thinking of that somehow pulled a rabbit out of his hat by getting Ford to ship his car wound up with cracked tires..... Imagine that.

Baby its cold outside.

RapidResponder

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 CFTP, 2022 Shelby SSS, 2023 Raptor R
The FRAP...

denver.jpg

RapidResponder

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
The Lot...

920x920.jpg

RapidResponder

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
My Car...

5c86ce7ca744e.image.jpg

Sponsored

RapidResponder

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
OP
OP
kilobravo

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
I guess its too late to get a carbag for those folks whos cars will be on the lot all winter.
Let's hope that doesn't happen to any of us, Tom.

Obviously, the previous photos are from a different Winter because there's no snow in Dearborn at the moment. Here's a webcam grab from a location nearby and it's about an hour old.

upload_2019-11-5_12-38-49.png

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
True, but here is the current weather and the forecast doesn't show any improvement......

Detroit michigan.jpg

Melange_X3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
D
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350, 2017 Ford Focus ST, On Order 2020 CTFP Shelby GT 500 with POTTS. Car is released and awaiting shipment. I am running out of time before having to leave for Japan on July 29th.
That looks pretty cold!
Sponsored