Sponsored

S550 newbie?

fatbillybob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT pp1 A10 Orange
I'm an SCCA clubracer who just sold my T2 vette Z06 racecar. I just got a 2019 Mustang GT pp1 with 10speed to race in my same class.

I have not welded my rollcage into the S550 yet but it will happen in a couple of weeks. I'm doing my 1st trackday in this car on Saturday to find week spots. I suspect I will need more cooling for the 10speed. I'm taking a chance not racing a manual but I want to try something different. Ford/GM targeted the porsche pdk in their design of the 10speed. I think they hit it out of the part. So far driving around town with sport & paddles I am very impressed what this slushbox is doing. It shifts as fast as porsche pdk and acts like a manual holding gear.

For you guys who track the S550 I'd like to hear what mods you have done for increased reliability? What race brake pads and model are you using? Are you guys using lower grip pads in the rear like carbotech XP20 front and XP16 in rear?

Who is making floating two piece front brake rotors that racers recommend?

Who makes a functional modest hood vent to bleed off some heat? Has the PP1 larger radiator good enough on track?

What are you guys doing about brake ducts? I must have those.

Anyone making light 19x11 wheels? Has anyone tried to fit an 18" wheel over the big brakes? It does not look like an 18" will fit but I have not taken the wheels off yet.

Is there no way to adjust chassis rake without going to coilovers?

Thanks !
Sponsored

strengthrehab

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB Base GT with PP
I'm an SCCA clubracer who just sold my T2 vette Z06 racecar. I just got a 2019 Mustang GT pp1 with 10speed to race in my same class.

I have not welded my rollcage into the S550 yet but it will happen in a couple of weeks. I'm doing my 1st trackday in this car on Saturday to find week spots. I suspect I will need more cooling for the 10speed. I'm taking a chance not racing a manual but I want to try something different. Ford/GM targeted the porsche pdk in their design of the 10speed. I think they hit it out of the part. So far driving around town with sport & paddles I am very impressed what this slushbox is doing. It shifts as fast as porsche pdk and acts like a manual holding gear.

For you guys who track the S550 I'd like to hear what mods you have done for increased reliability? What race brake pads and model are you using? Are you guys using lower grip pads in the rear like carbotech XP20 front and XP16 in rear?

Who is making floating two piece front brake rotors that racers recommend?

Who makes a functional modest hood vent to bleed off some heat? Has the PP1 larger radiator good enough on track?

What are you guys doing about brake ducts? I must have those.

Anyone making light 19x11 wheels? Has anyone tried to fit an 18" wheel over the big brakes? It does not look like an 18" will fit but I have not taken the wheels off yet.

Thanks !
1. Yes, is usually recommended to use less aggressive brake pad in the rear. For NT01's, I use G-Loc R16/R12 combo, but that may be overkill for my setup. 12/10 or 12/8 would probably suffice
2. TrackSpec hood vents
3. There are a few folks using brake ducts for MY 18/19 cars. Mine is a 16 so my front ducting is different
4. 19x11 wheels--Apex, SVE, Forgestar, etc. I'd recommend a square setup so the wheels/tires can be rotated easily. My 19x11's are SVE GT7 wheels with +50 offset. I use a 25mm spacer and extended lugs on the front.
5. My 18x11's (square setup again) are Apex EC7's (fit over the 6 piston PP brakes)
6. Try the Mike Maier, Inc rear ride height adjusters/spring setup? I have that too.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Steeda and Ohlins (among others) supply rear preload adjustable collars. You probably should talk to Steeda at some length and do a bit more reading since all your questions have been extensively discussed.

OP
OP
fatbillybob

fatbillybob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT pp1 A10 Orange
Thanks for your opinion. While this is all repeat for the vets I appreciate your instantly pointing me in the right direction especially about the 18x11 Apex wheels. You saved me lots of time so thanks for that!

Sponsored

PoppinJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
1. NT01s I use power stops track day. They are a good intermediate pad, good street Manors for daily driving (dust is corrosive) but I've outgrown them and am moving on to HAWK DCT60 front 30 rear.
2. TrackSpec hood vents, I'm also interested in Cervisi(spelling) new gt500 hood.
3. Brake ducts for 18/19 are self made/hobbled together. Not really an easy comprehensive solution. My PP1 stuff has worked for me this far.
4. I use a 25mm spacer (op mustang makes a really light weight nice one) ARP extended lugs. 18x11 Apex EC7's. 305 squared with -2.5, 315 squared with -3.0 camber. I run -3.0 with Steeda camber plates.

For 2 piece rotors I use Steedas. They have pretty frequent sales or you can ask for a form discount coupon. Girodisk is another option a lot of people use.

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Steeda is campaigning a T1 car in SEDiv. So they are a good tech source for a road race S550, built to SCCA rules.

Some of the other handling related vendors don't seem to understand rules, as they run the Optima Series where anything goes, except for tire compound and weight limitations.

Recent testing by Vorslag, indicates that up sized PP style air deflectors actually work better than traditional brake ducts. Their S550 development blog is worth a read, though that car is setup for NASA TT.

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Recent testing by Vorslag, indicates that up sized PP style air deflectors actually work better than traditional brake ducts. Their S550 development blog is worth a read, though that car is setup for NASA TT.
What was interesting was that they didn't do a lot on that car on top of the PP1 they got a bigger tires 305/30/19 with rims to support it and they were running 315/30 slicks but besides that the mods were basically bigger brakes, camber plates, coil overs, LTH+CAI+Tune, roll cage, seat, harnesses and that was it.

Everything else were things that they were adding because they bought a base car and not the PP1. Also if you have a PP1 car I don't think you actually need a brake upgrade just get better pads.

Steeda car is totally different animal that it has Aluminator X52 engine in it (580 HP) and basically the whole Steeda catalog installed overall a great car but way more expensive than the Vorshlag project.

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Yes, apparently it is a little known secret. A car prepared for one class will be different from one prepared for another class. Especially when the classes are as different as SCCA T1 and NASA TT3.

Just see the complaining when they unintentionally bumped themselves up a class to TT2, and now seem stuck without a good path to a fully prepared TT2 or back to a fully prepared TT3. I wonder if this isn't what is driving them to get a new car and start over. But note the original car was built as a dual purpose car, which is inherently compromised.

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, apparently it is a little known secret. A car prepared for one class will be different from one prepared for another class. Especially when the classes are as different as SCCA T1 and NASA TT3.

Just see the complaining when they unintentionally bumped themselves up a class to TT2, and now seem stuck without a good path to a fully prepared TT2 or back to a fully prepared TT3. I wonder if this isn't what is driving them to get a new car and start over. But note the original car was built as a dual purpose car, which is inherently compromised.
Yeah they explained that the new car will be much lighter and dedicated as well as cheaper as the Red 2018 is still owned by the bank and it's not good idea to race a car you own money at.

For me the take away is something that I know well from my TT races this season. Mustang doesn't exactly have a class in it's stock form as most of the cars in the Street over 3 Litter class are ether lighter or much powerful than the Mustang. So you are always stuck with a car out of class and without much chance for progressing up the rankings.

However the Vorshlag performance at COTA of 2:28 was really really impressive to me.
Sponsored