Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Ok, here’s something strange....

iPad 5
Just upgraded iOS to 13.1.2

If a user has uploaded and embedded a PDF into a thread, prior to the iOS update if I clicked on that PDF in the thread to read it, the PDF would auto open.

Now after the iOS update, the PDF no longer auto opens; instead it wants the user to “download”, where it will then save the file to the iPad and I have to manually open the saved PDF to view it (and then delete it if I don’t want it).

Is this a change within the forum or is this a result of iOS 13.1.2?

I’ve been in my settings for Adobe, Safari and Firefox and I’m not seeing anything to “change” so that when a PDF is clicked, it will continue to auto open instead of being asked to “download”....

anyone?
Sponsored

Jarstang

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
No changes have been made on our side regarding opening of PDFs.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Yep, vs. opening in the browser, it's attempting to download, this is for both iOS (iPhone) and MacOS.

That means the content-type header is being set to something the browser thinks it can't display, so it just prompts for a download. Definitely on the forum/software side.

Jarstang

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Yep, vs. opening in the browser, it's attempting to download, this is for both iOS (iPhone) and MacOS.

That means the content-type header is being set to something the browser thinks it can't display, so it just prompts for a download. Definitely on the forum/software side.
It's not from any changes to the forum software or server, so it must be from how the latest iOS version is now treating PDF attachments.

Sponsored

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
It's not from any changes to the forum software or server, so it must be from how the latest iOS version is now treating PDF attachments.
It's doing it on MacOS too (see above) in Chrome and Safari, and Windows 10 in Chrome, heck even Edge ...

It's the content-type, the forum is sending something not being recognized as a "support format" for browsers, so the default behavior becomes "download".

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
That Content-Type should be application/pdf. I have no idea if the forum ever handled it differently, but based on the OP, it sounds like something has changed at some point.

Jarstang

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Thanks for digging into the issue. Working on diagnosing the issue and fixing.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Yeah, anytime man - seriously, you ever need a hand with tech related issues, feel free to ping me.

Hahaha, since I semi-recently bought another Mustang, I guess I'll be around another few years :D

Sponsored
OP
OP
Cobra Jet

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Awesome collaboration - and thanks for the “fix”!! :beer::thumbsup::rockon::handshake:
Sponsored