Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.nationalsuperbike.com
First Name
Curt
Vehicle(s)
2022 Nissan Frontier
It's worth noting that some people have the same "feeling" when driving the EB Mustang. It just feels like it is quicker off the line- and it might be for the first few feet. But as others have pointed out, something as simple as the rear gear ratio will have a big effect on how it feels. My take on all that is unless you are planning to race other cars, drive the car that gives you the best experience- and the best experience is not always the fastest car. There are subtleties to it. How a car feels in the first 50 ft as you pull away from a stoplight has a powerful effect on how fast you think it is and even a Honda Accord feels fast if you plant your foot in it from a stop due to gearing, throttle mapping, etc. I think throttle mapping is huge and a tune might totally change your mind on the GT vs BMW feel, but I understand what you're saying. When I test drove a GT and an EB, the GT was underwhelming because I was expecting a OMG difference and it wasn't there until you really started wringing the car out- which you don't really do in day to day city driving.
Sponsored

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
My '19 GT, PP with the A10 (so 3.55 rear), now with an E85 tune, set to S/S+, is downright violent when it bangs through 1-2-3-4.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
I'll echo what alot of people have already said...it's just the way the Coyote and the manual transmission put down the power. It just doesn't *feel* as fast as some other combinations. However that doesn't mean it's not.

I have a similar example with my one friend and his WRX and my other non-car enthusiast friend. The non-car guy says based on riding in both of our cars, the WRX is faster...much faster. The way a little turbo car throws you in the seat probably has a lot to do with this, but when we actually line up on the highway it's no contest between him and my Mustang.

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
I've owned many Fox Mustangs and they felt fast. Mostly because the brakes and suspension were so bad.

The new Mustang is so capable that it hides its speed.
You think the Fox body was bad...I had a 10 second street legal '67 Chevelle in the late 80's. Back when that was considered pretty fast. Manual steering, manual 4 wheel drum brakes, worn out front shocks (on purpose - for weight transfer at the track) and big and littles.

80 mph on the back roads in that thing felt like 150mph. Not to mention hitting a bump and watching sparks from the long tube headers bottoming out....

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
You think the Fox body was bad...I had a 10 second street legal '67 Chevelle in the late 80's. Back when that was considered pretty fast. Manual steering, manual 4 wheel drum brakes, worn out front shocks (on purpose - for weight transfer at the track) and big and littles.

80 mph on the back roads in that thing felt like 150mph. Not to mention hitting a bump and watching sparks from the long tube headers bottoming out....
Anything that runs 10s is fast. Even now It's fast. But I believe you on the Chevelle. I've driven a stock 327 4 speed '67 and it made me nervous just normally driving. I just had a short drive to see what it was like, not enough to get used to it, but I bet it would be a lot worse with skinnies. My '70 convertible came with drums and manual steering as well - so I know what you are talking about.

Sponsored

OP
OP
2019fordmustang

2019fordmustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Omar
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, BMW 545i, Mercedes E550, Mercedes E320, Kia Sorento V6
It's worth noting that some people have the same "feeling" when driving the EB Mustang. It just feels like it is quicker off the line- and it might be for the first few feet. But as others have pointed out, something as simple as the rear gear ratio will have a big effect on how it feels. My take on all that is unless you are planning to race other cars, drive the car that gives you the best experience- and the best experience is not always the fastest car. There are subtleties to it. How a car feels in the first 50 ft as you pull away from a stoplight has a powerful effect on how fast you think it is and even a Honda Accord feels fast if you plant your foot in it from a stop due to gearing, throttle mapping, etc. I think throttle mapping is huge and a tune might totally change your mind on the GT vs BMW feel, but I understand what you're saying. When I test drove a GT and an EB, the GT was underwhelming because I was expecting a OMG difference and it wasn't there until you really started wringing the car out- which you don't really do in day to day city driving.
Man you are absolutely right!!! My wife's Kia can feel faster from a stop light. I think with the mustang you have to really give in the throttle to feel it. Maybe the mustang GT is so refined it doesn't feel quick. Also I drove a rental Ecoboost with A10 and it felt really quick but I didn't like such a light front end. I like a heavy feel of any car I drive. The BMW feels heavy and solid and so does mustang.

TehEno

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harry
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT - Tickford Supercharge Pack - Orange Fury
Vehicle Showcase
The stang doesnt really shine until 3k+ RPM, not that its slow down low, it just hits its torque alittle later. The BMW is probalby in its max torque around 1800RPM?

Also, the auto in the stang is down right crazy fast in it shifts, should have gone the auto way if you wanted to feel faster :)

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
my 2018 10r80 gt stock was legitimately quicker than my 630rwhp modded manual cts-v was

.03 second difference in the 1/4 mile but still true. V trapped like 8 mph higher though

Last edited:
OP
OP
2019fordmustang

2019fordmustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Omar
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, BMW 545i, Mercedes E550, Mercedes E320, Kia Sorento V6
The stang doesnt really shine until 3k+ RPM, not that its slow down low, it just hits its torque alittle later. The BMW is probalby in its max torque around 1800RPM?

Also, the auto in the stang is down right crazy fast in it shifts, should have gone the auto way if you wanted to feel faster :)
The BMW numbers are Power (SAE net): 325 bhp @ 6100 rpm
Torque (SAE net): 330 lb-ft @ 3600 rpm.

I do think the automatic is quicker. I should have gotten the auto

revinto7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 shelby-gt 14 camaro SS 1LE
The BMW numbers are Power (SAE net): 325 bhp @ 6100 rpm
Torque (SAE net): 330 lb-ft @ 3600 rpm.

i have a 2020 M340i I was thinking the same thing .The car really impresses me for a 3.0l straight 6 i sa a test this week they went 0-60 3.8 12.1 114mph with one stock. Also i own an 18 PP A10 GT it flys and a 19 Bullitt 6 spd ..i think the BMW will give the bullitt a run from a slow roll but from a dig i think it may actually beat it atleast ET maybe not mph out the back but by that time the 1/4 will be over ..

Sponsored

moto111

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
The auto is and feels faster but the manual just belongs in a mustang it’s fun if you aren’t going to race every weekend

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Why? I presume you wanted to row your own gears. To feel engaged with your Mustang. What difference does it make if your BMW feels a little faster. It’s not. And yes the A10 is a little faster in a straight line. If your going to the strip fine. If not just enjoy your M6, it’s a great car.

revinto7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 shelby-gt 14 camaro SS 1LE
the auto doesnt just feel faster it is faster . there is a .5 tenth difference beetween them on avg

Torched10

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 gt premium convertible. 2017 caddy xts vsport twin turbo.2011 caddy ext
i have a 2020 M340i I was thinking the same thing .The car really impresses me for a 3.0l straight 6 i sa a test this week they went 0-60 3.8 12.1 114mph with one stock. Also i own an 18 PP A10 GT it flys and a 19 Bullitt 6 spd ..i think the BMW will give the bullitt a run from a slow roll but from a dig i think it may actually beat it atleast ET maybe not mph out the back but by that time the 1/4 will be over ..
Her1/4
Let me start by saying I am not comparing my 2005 BMW 545i (4.4 NA 325 HP and 330 torque) with my 2019 Mustang GT.

I'm trying to understand why does my BMW feels so much faster. Is it because it's a ZF automatic vs my manual in mustang. Maybe the automatic mustang GT feels quicker but I have not driven an auto GT.

545i is very nimble and revs to 7k very easily and I feel like it has more low end grunt then the mustang.

I am not sure what makes mustang feels slower when you start driving it from first gear and even at high speeds makes it feel like you are driving it slow. I definitely notice less torque at low rpms in lower gears.
BMW 545i 14.2 1/4 mile,no comparison to 19 with AT,WHICH RUN,MID 12S. My fully stock 65 got ran 14.3.best time 4 spd tri power car.check you tube for video,couldn't get link to work.

3star2nr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT PP
So check out this chart i found off the interwebs of a 2004 545i dyno

As you can see the engine makes the majority of its torque very early in the rev band so it will "feel" faster than the GT despite having almost 100 ft-lbs less...

The torque curve just plummets after 4250 unlike the coyote engine. Where the party is just getting started at 4250...

People will always cry about the coyote not feeling fast... Because they want the engine to feel like a LS... It's just a fundamentally different approach to power.

But its the age old question... Which is better for you feeling fast or being fast... Neither is inherently right or wrong.
14428-2004-BMW-545i-Dyno.jpg

The second chart is a s550
S550-Mustang-Dyno-Graph-657x360.jpg
Sponsored