Question for guys who actually have the the Roush Kit

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
I have a funny feeling your gonna see a LFP VMP Mustang in 2020 also, prolly be a custom tuned 800hp kit
HA HAAAAAAAAAAA
Prolly,..............:cwl:

I hope so, that will be great for the consumers and VMP. Bad for the competition. LOL

JasinEdward

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2015 5.0 Roush Stage 1
I posted the times in my last roush car.... i have to wait to get tires due to dropping a good deal on my tune and a few other things....

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT premium A10 (SOLD)
Of course the Roush is capable of making power. The Eaton R2650 blower is excellent and the same that is used on the Stage II Edelbrock. The primary issue with the Roush is that the intercooler is under the blower resulting in more heat than the HE can handle when driven aggressively. Also, of course, the Roush tune is pretty conservative.

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
Tuners like VMP have gotten Roush equipped cars to be very strong at the strip....like around 10.4 and over 130 mph. What I would like to know is if these tuned Roush cars capable of multiple fast passes or are they one and done.

OP
OP
Stymee

Stymee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Tuners like VMP have gotten Roush equipped cars to be very strong at the strip....like around 10.4 and over 130 mph. What I would like to know is if these tuned Roush cars capable of multiple fast passes or are they one and done.
The more I ponder this the more I think they all heat soak, just some take longer to cool down

Realistically most tracks make u wait at least 20-30 minutes in between passes, some even longer so is it really as bad as we think?

Prolly not, but on the street I bet the Roush gets heat soaked and feels weak quicker than say an EB or Whipple?

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
I have no doubt that the design of the EB and Whipple is superior to Roush when subjected to extreme conditions.

If a tune does not close the throttle at high temps and only pulls timing when knock is detected, the Roush should be capable of multiple passes if one takes reasonable effort to cool it between runs.

I am not even sure what the danger of high IAT2 temps is as long as there is no knock. When I was racing my ecoboost Lincoln, I saw IAT2 temps well over 160 and it didn't slow the car at all.

OP
OP
Stymee

Stymee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I have no doubt that the design of the EB and Whipple is superior to Roush when subjected to extreme conditions.

If a tune does not close the throttle at high temps and only pulls timing when knock is detected, the Roush should be capable of multiple passes if one takes reasonable effort to cool it between runs.

I am not even sure what the danger of high IAT2 temps is as long as there is no knock. When I was racing my ecoboost Lincoln, I saw IAT2 temps well over 160 and it didn't slow the car at all.
Exactly, a splash of booster or 100 octane for the win. I canā€™t wait to see the P2 info

Toydoctor

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang

This is a really good point. I tuned at least 5 to 10 turbo cars before I started working with my car. Font mount Intercoolers may not not be the most efficient, but they donā€™t heat soak. I could be on a dyno with a fan on the IC between pulls and not worry. Within 5 min a 500 hp car would be ambient temp. Not the case with a air to water setup. In my experience.

Also the cars all had a static compression ratio of 10 to 1 or less. Variable valve timing is an awesome thing. Dynamic compression can be way less.

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
Exactly, a splash of booster or 100 octane for the win. I canā€™t wait to see the P2 info
I am trying to talk myself into the Roush....again! If the P2 with Roush tune is still not capable of multiple runs, I would be willing to get a custom tune.....if that would solve the problem. Since my car will be 2 years old in May, I would only have one year of powertrain warranty, anyway.

TehEno

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harry
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT - Tickford Supercharge Pack - Orange Fury
Vehicle Showcase
I have not done many back to back pulls, the most I have done is 3, and have driven pretty hard for a while and I have not experience het soak yet. It probably would eventually going by others posts, but I do have the larger rad which I think helps.

I am curious as to what the P2 will bring, cant get much info out of my installer at the moment, they are hush hush about it. I dont think it will be more than what I have at the moment though unless they modify the intercooler somehow but it would need to bring it up to 850+HP and more for me to even consider it.

But if they somehow fix the heatsoak people are experiencing I may just get that part added.

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
I really do not want much more RWHP than low-mid 600s. Once we get much higher, it gets more difficult to control traction and wheel hop. Axles and other driveline components become more susceptible to breakage and additional mods are required.

I just want to be able to run at the strip during the summer and be able to run a few times over the course of the day with the car running reasonably consistently in the high 10s.

JasinEdward

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2015 5.0 Roush Stage 1
i recently joined an f150 group on facebook... nick james the owner and creator of pmas cold air intakes is in the process of developing a new intercooler. it will require an cowl hood for the mustang though....

hlfbkd420

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Bilbo Hicks
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT w/ Roush P2 SC, 2015 KIA Sorento SXL
i recently joined an f150 group on facebook... nick james the owner and creator of pmas cold air intakes is in the process of developing a new intercooler. it will require an cowl hood for the mustang though....
i would guess a new plate for all the belts too. Fead adapter?

something like that. Whatever is necessary for phenolic spacers

Beano

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phillip
Vehicle(s)
FGX XR8 and 2016 Mustang GT, Both supercharged
Mmm.. the age-old heat-soak issue...blah...

ā€˜Well, until someone comes around with a better solution, at an affordable price, I will probably tackle the problem in 2 key areas: Add the Whipple oversized HE, secondly, add phenolic spacers between the cylinder heads and SC intake, as well as add some HP sticky shield - https://www.heatshieldproducts.com/hp-sticky-shield - to the underside of the SC manifold.

The phenolic spacers will have a dual role: Insulate the SC intake runners from the hot cylinder heads, additionally, add an extra air-gap between the block and the bottom of the SC intake, allowing the heat-shield to be more efficient in dealing with radiant heat.

Currently sitting in Tokyo, will be back home in Oz over the weekend. Have sent a few emails, just awaiting feedback, then I will place a few orders. Will order injectors, 2 or 3 smaller pulleys and the HE from PBD....letā€™s see how soon they reply.

Will keep you posted, not a new revision if the Roush, but, hopefully it will allow me to get a few extra ponies via an aftermarket tune out of this stage1 setup ;)

ā€˜Cheers,
Beano

#1Roadking

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT 2019 Ford Raptor 2018 Cadillac Escalade
Looking forward to seeing your project results Beano. I can tell you this, Iā€™m in NH and the car is insane in the lower temps. But of course the tires hate it so traction is a no go. What Iā€™ve found with my car is once it sits in traffic after heating up on days itā€™s over 80* it never really feels like the temps come all the way back down. Under 80* it never bothers me. The drivability if this set up is just so good I would be afraid to mess with the tune.