C8 just got crushed and humiliated by the GT500

OP
OP

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
This threads retarded. Ford finally released the numbers and the fanboys are back to comparing halo mustang #s to a BASE trim C8.

Wait until the Grand Sport, Z06, and ZR1 comes.

Keep drinking that koolaide. Only thing Ford has in the same league as a C8 is their 450k GT.
nah. Wait until the KR comes. You haven’t seen anything yet.

BASE GT500 Outperforms base vette. Track pack outperforms z51.

Z06 and/or ZR1 should outperform BASE GT500.

then the KR enters the arena.

you want the better performer now? Get the 500.

you want the better performer then? Get the 500 KR.

DekiDoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
nah. Wait until the KR comes. You haven’t seen anything yet.

BASE GT500 Outperforms base vette. Track pack outperforms z51. But not in top speed, or to 60, and braking and road course haven't been tested.

Z06 and/or ZR1 will outperform ANY GT500.

then the KR enters the arena.

you want the better performer now? Get the C7 Z06.

you want the better performer then? Get the C8 Z06
FTFY

1MEAN18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT
The premise of this entire thread is kinda dumb if you ask me. Who is trying to compare 2 cars that aren't even in buyer's hands yet? I don't get it.... and who really cares about the new Vette here? If you do....then buddy you be in the wrong damn place!
1f5b7a8b3c6350ec9cfca0c3e5e0133e.jpg

Sponsored

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
The premise of this entire thread is kinda dumb if you ask me. Who is trying to compare 2 cars that aren't even in buyer's hands yet? I don't get it.... and who really cares about the new Vette here? If you do....then buddy you be in the wrong damn place!
1f5b7a8b3c6350ec9cfca0c3e5e0133e.jpg
This was just a get even thread for the other 500 C8 threads that were created when the C8 was announced. Have fun with it.:cwl:

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Actually, I think GM put less controls on testing than Ford did. During the day the press outlets that got the C8 Stingray had a lot of latitude in terms of where they could take it and how they could test it. The biggest restriction was they didn’t get to keep the cars overnight. They had to give them back at the end of the day and then get them back in the morning for another day of whatever they wanted to do with the car, wherever they chose to do it. Within reason, of course.

0-60: Stingray Z51 - 2.8s Base GT500 - 3.3s. Advantage Stingray Z51
1/4 Mi: Stingray Z51 - 11.1s @ 121 Base GT500 - 10.6 @ 133 Advantage Base GT500
Top Speed: Stingray Z51 - 184 mph Base GT500 - 180 mph Advantage Stingray Z51 (Stingray w/o Z51 is 194)

I’m not seeing “crushed and humiliated” here. I’m seeing GT500 is 0.5s better in the 1/4 mile and probably better from a roll, though nobody has tested that yet. Stingray Z51 is the same 0.5s better 0 - 60 and 4 mph better at top speed. 14 mph if you get the base - base car. I’m seeing two cars that are both freakishly good performers, each better than the other at something, but not everything.
I think the crushed and humiliated is referencing road course performance where the c8 is lacking. Plus magazine reviews where the people say they prefer the GT500 over the C8.

Straight line numbers are important to some people, but IMO the straight line numbers with stock tires are a little silly to quote. Most GT500 owners will switch to stickier tires if they are going to push on the straight line stuff. And with all that power the GT500 will really destroy the C8 in the quarter mile if the GT500 has sticky tires..

So, which would you actually buy... a C8 or GT500?

I think you are looking at around $100k for a decently optioned car (either one). For that kind of money, I'm going to go for a 2017 Porsche C2S. I would consider the C8 if it were not so damned ugly. The GT500 is really cool, but is too big and heavy for my taste and isn't a convertible (if it has a top, it has to have 4 doors).

If you don't own one of these cars, these bragging right threads are like a biggest dick contest using somebody else's dick.
Well, the base model of something with the ehh, it's ok motor, brakes, tires, etc. versus the top model with the awesome motor, brakes, tires, etc. Seems like a pretty easy decision to me.

1mic

Banned
2 mph so everybody sees u
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
God bless America, all 8.4 liters -Randy Pobst
LOL

The facts are the C8 does the 1320 in low 11s at its best. The GT500 does it in 10.6.

The mid engine, super lightweight, 2 seat only sports car pinnacle of GM engineering was Demolished. By a four seat platform Mustang. Going to get worse on the track.
3500-3600lbs is not super lightweight, not even close.

We have yet to see pinnacle of engineering from them, thats reserved for the z06 and later zr1.

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
I think the crushed and humiliated is referencing road course performance where the c8 is lacking. Plus magazine reviews where the people say they prefer the GT500 over the C8.

Straight line numbers are important to some people, but IMO the straight line numbers with stock tires are a little silly to quote. Most GT500 owners will switch to stickier tires if they are going to push on the straight line stuff. And with all that power the GT500 will really destroy the C8 in the quarter mile if the GT500 has sticky tires.. ....
Fair enough. As I’ve stated a number of times though, with or without the Z51 package, Stingray is not the track purposed C8 Corvette. That would be Grand Sport (not available yet) and Z06 (not available yet. Saying GT500 can claim a track victory over Stingray is like saying ZL1 can claim a track victory over a Mustang GT PP1.

Sponsored
OP
OP

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
Fair enough. As I’ve stated a number of times though, with or without the Z51 package, Stingray is not the track purposed C8 Corvette. That would be Grand Sport (not available yet) and Z06 (not available yet. Saying GT500 can claim a track victory over Stingray is like saying ZL1 can claim a track victory over a Mustang GT PP1.
I think both cars are dual purpose. The mid engine platform is all about road holding as well as traction.

So it’s amazing what the heavy GT500 is doing.

It’s a certainty that a Z06/ZR1 will come out and shake things up.

But there will be a KR to contend with then. So it could remain either an upset win on the Mustangs part or... it could swing in favor of the C8 Z car(s).

I think the C8 has shown that a ground-up mid engine design that is much lighter has an inherent advantage, even though the 500 is posting better numbers right now - when you look at the power difference.

a much more powerful C8 will turn things around - at a different price point.

it’s then up to the 500 to do something drastic with suspension, tires, and power. that’s where the KR plays in.

But how will it all shake out? That’s the question. It’s going to be a fun ride whichever tram you’re on. When I think back to first falling in love with fast cars, I remember discovering the 60’s muscle and the strange 80’s turbo Buick’s that had no business being as awesome as they were. In the early 90’s, my dad had this book of just about every car ever made and I read it for hours every day.

but fast forward to today... dang.

on the Mustang side, I think a number of us are so used to the Corvette simply being a completely different class of car that we are amazed when the hottest, newest, much dreamed about mid engine vette finally appears in reality - and gets beat by a GT500.

now this is an FI vs NA comparison which normally isn’t fair in my opinion. But it is two different classes of car, one of which is a two seat platform and also has the holy grail engine layout for the best traction and weight distribution.

so that evens the playing field quite a bit.

would be different if it was a Camaro SS 1LE having to fight against a supercharged GT500 - or a GT350 having to fight against a ZL1. Same type of car, but FI just killing the NA car.

This is a sports car/supercar vs a pony car/sports car.

kind of like David and Goliath. You expect Goliath is going to pummel David. But when David wins... whoa. It’s a big deal.

all that said, it’s your basic underdog/Rocky story.

how long it lasts is a mystery and will be known soon enough. But I think the GT500 has legit earned its current praise.

The only real potential game-changing questions moving forward are:

1) will AWD become a factor for either car?

2) who will go electric assist first?

Both will make for some significant performance shifts.

in spite of some rather one-sided point-proving posts directed at a recent troll surge, I personally would love to take either car.

Both look awesome. Both perform awesome. And both seem to be comfortable doing so.

The 500 shows the potential of the Mustang. To get a factory stock pony car moving and cornering like that... wow. With more wows on the way.

The C8 shows the potential of the mid engine platform. Even out of the gate with the amount of power it has, it is such a great performer and there is so much room to grow. It’s always been a dream car and that isn’t changing now.

Last edited:

gixxersixxerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2020 GR Supra
I don’t think the first year C8 will be had under msrp in most places. But after that, I can see OTD under MSRP like just about any Vette for the last few years. GT500? Only on here do I see anyone “not paying markup” Gaudin here in Vegas stated 35k for base GT500, 50k mark up for a carbon. They have a GT350R with a 15k mark up still. I asked when I was there the other day to grab a O2 sensor. I don’t buy there but use the service dept since they are extremely mod friendly. Friendly Ford is whom I go and buy my fords.

Any way in 2021 when I think I’ll be looking at my next car, price wise the C8 will most likely be the better option.
Sponsored