Sponsored

[Updated]: 11.0@128 so far for GT500 at Las Vegas Motor Speedway

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base
If Ford took Porsche approach, they would raise the GT350 base price about $5,000, then tell you have DCT as standard, or the 6 speed manual as "no cost option"
Which is fine.

they raised the 350R price 5 grand this year.
Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I guess. Why would you want to? Its the same old shit show, people come over here to stir the pot and the cycle continues. My perception of this site is not just a place of information sharing, but also a business. Advertisement pays the bills. The more times you refresh or post, the more ads are generated and likewise the revenue for the site. Why would they want a guy like you to bring stability when that would affect the bottom line? 'Just sayin....

Edited to add: I really do think you are a great guy and I hope that I am wrong.

obspsd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keller
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Auto Ruby Red
I guess. Why would you want to? Its the same old shit show, people come over here to stir the pot and the cycle continues. My perception of this site is not just a place of information sharing, but also a business. Advertisement pays the bills. The more times you refresh or post, the more ads are generated and likewise the revenue for the site. Why would they want a guy like you to bring stability when that would affect the bottom line? 'Just sayin....

Edited to add: I really do think you are a great guy and I hope that I am wrong.
I just think this site needs a moderator to be a little bit more active.
One of the reasons I think I would make a decent moderator.
Also some of the (rules) seem to apply to some people more than others?
I like hanging out with you guys on here and would like to meet up with some of you all in person some time.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I just think this site needs a moderator to be a little bit more active.
One of the reasons I think I would make a decent moderator.
Also some of the (rules) seem to apply to some people more than others?
I like hanging out with you guys on here and would like to meet up with some of you all in person some time.
I wholeheartedly agree. However, well, good luck with that.

Boss2013

Threads
Reaction score
Right, but there's still the question of late for what? I mean, there's not some cosmic timeline where things have to occur at some predestined date, otherwise, they're a time space anomaly :D

It came out when it came out, sure there are other cars that came out before it, but that's ALWAYS the case, manufacturers aren't in some kind of synchronized release schedule - and just because it's an incremental improvement, doesn't mean it's any less successful, in fact, since it's faster and apparently more comfortable than GM's best competitor, I'd say that's a double slam dunk :D

At this point, I'm not sure what people are expecting anyway, we're running into physics limitations - does anyone really think, a front engined, RWD drive is going to hit the market and do a 9 second 1/4 on street tires? For under $100K?
Exactly. Is there some edict that says a car must be introduced along a particular timeline to be relevant?

Sponsored

BluByeU

M6G SoCal Cruisers
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob HT
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premium GTPP Recaros & Shaker 401a
Exactly. Is there some edict that says a car must be introduced along a particular timeline to be relevant?
Unfortunately there is, but (always a but) it's unwritten.

At the end of the day nay-sayers and fans of the other 2 brands have to find something sub-par about the GT500 and when the GT350/R was rolled out. What's funny is when the GT500 blasts away from a red-light or the the strip/track, the "it was released two years too late" argument will mean absolutely nothing as the taillights disappear.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
At the end of the day nay-sayers and fans of the other 2 brands have to find something sub-par about the GT500 and when the GT350/R was rolled out. What's funny is when the GT500 blasts away from a red-light or the the strip/track, the "it was released two years too late" argument will mean absolutely nothing as the taillights disappear.
That was exactly what my comment was about, i.e., in the context of the naysayers. While I appreciate some industry overview from Jim, I get it, the whole competitive product cycles, the tick-tocks for consumer goods (I'm very involved in the tech industry, it's a lot of the same ...), this was very specifically about it is what it is, now, this is the product. Is it better? With the extra time, did GM work on a Camaro to answer it? If it was "late", seems like that would give them time.

Truth is, these are complex products, timelines get moved, targets change, etc., [+-] a year or two I don't think is all that relevant given the lengths of these cycles.

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Unfortunately there is, but (always a but) it's unwritten.

That was exactly what my comment was about, i.e., in the context of the naysayers. While I appreciate some industry overview from Jim, I get it, the whole competitive product cycles, the tick-tocks for consumer goods (I'm very involved in the tech industry, it's a lot of the same ...), this was very specifically about it is what it is, now, this is the product. Is it better? With the extra time, did GM work on a Camaro to answer it? If it was "late", seems like that would give them time.

Truth is, these are complex products, timelines get moved, targets change, etc., [+-] a year or two I don't think is all that relevant given the lengths of these cycles.
I pretty much agree with everything both of you are saying. I guess I was only responding to the question of “was it late or not”. It was. For a number of reasons. But it is probably a better car for being late. It would not have gotten the DCT if it launched on time. On the other hand, it would not have to share the spotlight with C8 Stingray had it launched on time.

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
It would not have gotten the DCT if it launched on time.
Care to explain? The DCT had been the plan for the last 3+years and before a prototype ever drove.

They had difficulty tuning everything to live, but that's different from the is/is not of it.

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Care to explain? The DCT had been the plan for the last 3+years and before a prototype ever drove.

They had difficulty tuning everything to live, but that's different from the is/is not of it.
I could explain, but I would be violating a client's confidence. Suffice it to say that Tremec's work on the DCT began with collaboration with GM on C8. GT500 got added later, even though C8 always had a later planned launch date. No way GT500 would have launched at its original timing as a second development on an all new DCT.
Sponsored